The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Physics Paper 2 (7408/2) - 9th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 2 exam go?

AQA A-level Physics Paper 2 (7408/2) - 9th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 9th June, am
Length: 2hr

Resources
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/physics-7407-7408
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2021/november/AQA-74081-INS-NOV21.PDF
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/a-level-aqa/
A-level Physics Study Group 2022-2023

(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone got any tips relating to paper 2 specifically?
Reply 2
revise everything
Reply 3
(Original post by CodeX420)anyone got any tips relating to paper 2 specifically?

especially after paper 1, better be safe than sorry
Reply 4
Ok, after that paper 1 I think we can all expect something that we won't really expect on a normal paper....anyone got a reformed plan on how to clutch revise paper 2? I thinking that do isaac physics alot too because it seems clear the focus is more on problem solving more so than the application of learned content
Reply 5
the spec says we have assumed knowledge of paper 1 for paper 2, does that mean we're gonna be given questions relating to topics in paper 1?
Reply 6
Original post by mr.cheese
the spec says we have assumed knowledge of paper 1 for paper 2, does that mean we're gonna be given questions relating to topics in paper 1?

I hadn't done many paper 2 past papers yet but I haven't found much paper 1 content unless it's a sub part of a larger question like circular motion in with fields. Having said that, I'd prepared for the worse after that paper 1.
Reply 7

For things such as magnetic fields, you must know your way around circular motion. For things such as electromagnetic induction you must know how to calculate voltage, current etc.

Topics from paper 1 will not be tested directly.
Reply 8

for example;
electricity knowledge in capacitor related topics such as resistance internal resistance etc (just do p2 related questions and you'll be fine, don't really focus on p1 content)
or circular motion and SHM when working with gravity / electrical field or charges in a magnetic field etc, len'z law and stuff

particles knowledge when doing nuclear and so on
Reply 9
Original post by ASCC2014
I hadn't done many paper 2 past papers yet but I haven't found much paper 1 content unless it's a sub part of a larger question like circular motion in with fields. Having said that, I'd prepared for the worse after that paper 1.

then the plan is to just go haywire on revision? especially going out of the way to prepare for hard hard questions right?
Original post by CodeX420
then the plan is to just go haywire on revision? especially going out of the way to prepare for hard hard questions right?

Im bashing out Isaac physics hard questions atm, I think this is the best prep for a difficult paper since its less based on knowledge and way more based on application and problem solving
Reply 11
Hey! Could someone help me with this question I’ve been struggling with from Isaac Physics:

An α-particle with velocity 3.5x10^6 ms^-1, strikes a block of gold, atomic number 79, mass number 197. Find the distance of closest possible approach between the alpha,α-particle and a gold nucleus, assuming that only Coulomb's Law holds over such distances. Assume that the mass(neutron) = mass(proton) = 1.67x10^-27 kg

I tried at first using conservation of energy and got an answer of 8.9x10^-13 m, but was told it was wrong and needed to also consider the conservation of momentum, where at the point of closest approach the velocity of the alpha particle equals the velocity of the gold nucleus. When I did the question again, using the conservation of energy and momentum this time, I got the same answer. The actual answer is 9.1x10^-13 m. Would really appreciate any help :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by le0widx
Hey! Could someone help me with this question I’ve been struggling with from Isaac Physics:

An α-particle with velocity 3.5x10^6 ms^-1, strikes a block of gold, atomic number 79, mass number 197. Find the distance of closest possible approach between the alpha,α-particle and a gold nucleus, assuming that only Coulomb's Law holds over such distances. Assume that the mass(neutron) = mass(proton) = 1.67x10^-27 kg

I tried at first using conservation of energy and got an answer of 8.9x10^-13 m, but was told it was wrong and needed to also consider the conservation of momentum, where at the point of closest approach the velocity of the alpha particle equals the velocity of the gold nucleus. When I did the question again, using the conservation of energy and momentum this time, I got the same answer. The actual answer is 9.1x10^-13 m. Would really appreciate any help :smile:

Conservation of momentum:
mv of alpha = mv of both alpha and gold
4 x 1.67x10^-27 x 3.5x10^6 = 201 x 1.67x10^-27 x v
v = 6.965x10^4

Conservation of energy:
[Charge force] x distance = [KE of alpha at start] - [KE of alpha and gold together]
(9x10^9 x 2 x 1.6x10^-19 x 79 x 1.6x10^-19) / d = [0.5 x 4 x 1.67x10^-27 x (3.5x10^6)^2] - [0.5 x 201 x 1.67x10^-19 x (6.965x10^4)^2]
d = 9.08x10^-13
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by malymole1
v = 6.965x10^4

Conservation of energy:
[Charge force] x distance = [KE of alpha at start] - [KE of alpha and gold together]
(9x10^9 x 2 x 1.6x10^-19 x 79 x 1.6x10^-19) / d = [0.5 x 4 x 1.67x10^-27 x (3.5x10^6)^2] - [0.5 x 201 x 1.67x10^-19 x (6.965x10^4)^2]
d = 9.08x10^-13

Thank you mate you’re an absolute legend!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
v = 6.965x10^4

Conservation of energy:
d = 9.08x10^-13

Also do you reckon they’d ask us to calculate distance of closest approach including conservation of momentum? I’ve seen in some papers they just do it with conservation of energy.
Can someone explain this funky capacitors question with AC supply, it makes no sense.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7356420&p=98463201#post98463201
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by le0widx
Also do you reckon they’d ask us to calculate distance of closest approach including conservation of momentum? I’ve seen in some papers they just do it with conservation of energy.

They could. In the papers its like closest distance to an object that doesn't move [or distance moved is negligible], like a van de graaff instead of a specific atom, so not doing the momentum works. I reckon they might, considering how harsh they were on the first paper, but now you know!
Reply 17
They could. In the papers its like closest distance to an object that doesn't move [or distance moved is negligible], like a van de graaff instead of a specific atom, so not doing the momentum works. I reckon they might, considering how harsh they were on the first paper, but now you know!

Very true I wouldn’t be surprised at this point and thanks once again!
Reply 18
Original post by Kingemperor07
Can someone explain this funky capacitors question with AC supply, it makes no sense.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7356420&p=98463201#post98463201

Terrible question icl, I managed to get the answer though. Explanation is now in the thread
Reply 19
Original post by CodeX420

Yep, lots of past papers to prepare for the expected style and lots of isaac physics questions as Kingemperor07 said. Might also create some definition sheets as definitions didn't come up much in paper 1 so might be tested a bit more in paper 2. Not sure if that logic stands for physics though.

Latest

Trending

Trending