The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Combined Science: Trilogy - Physics Paper 1 (Higher) 8464/P/1H [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sxphielol
what did everyone get for finding out which thing it was i said it was beta because it passed through paper but couldn’t pass through aluminium

Thats is definitely correct
what did everyone get for finding out which thing it was i said it was beta because it passed through paper but couldn’t pass through aluminium

I said alpha as alpha is meant to be stopped by a few mm of paper. It said 0.1mm of paper so in theory some alpha radiation would still get through whereas more beta would get through if it were beta. That's what I thought at least.
Original post by asdasdasd231
I said alpha as alpha is meant to be stopped by a few mm of paper. It said 0.1mm of paper so in theory some alpha radiation would still get through whereas more beta would get through if it were beta. That's what I thought at least.

never thought of it like that tbf

Beta is stopped by aluminium and the count rate was still recorded after paper so it wouldn't be alpha
alpha should be fully absorbed when fired at paper
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by GCSE2022=Tom
Beta is stopped by aluminium and the count rate was still recorded after paper so it wouldn't be alpha

Yes but it was 0.1mm of paper. Alpha is meant to be stopped by a few mm of paper so theoretically some alpha particles would still get through.
wow i’ve got so many wrong this is not okay🙅*♀️

its just one question , plus you get method marks for writing the equation, additionally its only one paper and science is hard dont beat yourself over it as long as you tried your best there is nothing more you can do also there is still all of paper 2

alpha can’t pass through your eyelids which are 0.6 mm thick so surely it wouldn’t be able to pass through paper that is 0.1 mm
Yes but it was 0.1mm of paper. Alpha is meant to be stopped by a few mm of paper so theoretically some alpha particles would still get through.

Alpha is fully absorbed by paper so if the answer was alpha then there would not be a count rate for the rest of the materials. In addition, when fired with no materials the count rate was very high, we know that beta travels long distances so higher probability of beta being counted therefore why more counts.
alpha can’t pass through your eyelids which are 0.6 mm thick so surely it wouldn’t be able to pass through paper that is 0.1 mm

I mean out of all of them it was the closest so you had to pick one .....
Did anyone else feel like they didn't do enough work for the 5/6 mark questions? I've skimmed through people's answers on here and I got the same answers but idk I just feel like it was a bit short
Penetration by alpha particles can easily be stopped by a sheet of paper (100 µm thick) or the protective (dead) layers of skin. - google
100µ = 0.1mm - Google
what did everyone get for the girl jumping on the trampoline? i said girl- gravitational > kinetic > thermal (internal sound) springs- elastic > kinetic surroundings ? > thermal, these r def wrong don’t worry if you got different
Penetration by alpha particles can easily be stopped by a sheet of paper (100 µm thick) or the protective (dead) layers of skin. - google
100µ = 0.1mm - Google

I have been taught lies.
what did everyone get for the girl jumping on the trampoline? i said girl- gravitational > kinetic > thermal (internal sound) springs- elastic > kinetic surroundings ? > thermal, these r def wrong don’t worry if you got different

talked about gravitational and kinetic for the child
elastic for the springs
thermal for surroundings
Original post by _kvymnnn
Did anyone else feel like they didn't do enough work for the 5/6 mark questions? I've skimmed through people's answers on here and I got the same answers but idk I just feel like it was a bit short

Yh I thought that as well but there was a question where u had to round to 2SF so I think that played a part as well

I'm pretty sure it is Chemical store to kinetic store to gravitational store, remember it was all only 4 marks so they wouldn't be expecting you to write any more that 5 per category
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm pretty sure it is Chemical store to kinetic store to gravitational store, remember it was all only 4 marks so they wouldn't be expecting you to right any more that 5 per category

itll probably be a broad mark scheme for that question
Original post by _kvymnnn

same i thought that especially for the pressure one, it’s usually like that for science though
Original post by jamest0394q
I got 0.072

Same
same i thought that especially for the pressure one, it’s usually like that for science though

Yh there wasnt even that much u could say for that
thats why i talked about particles having more energy and the internal energy increasing as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending