The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

any hijabis/muslim girls going plymouth this year ?

I’ve applied for a course at plymouth and I’ve gotten accepted but just need to find other hijabis or muslim girls I can share an accom with, get to know etc!!
Reply 1
Hi , I’ve also got a place at Plymouth. I’ve already booked my accommodation but I don’t know anyone going to Plymouth. I’m Muslim too :smile:
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by H.ff33
Hi , I’ve also got a place at Plymouth. I’ve already booked my accommodation but I don’t know anyone going to Plymouth. I’m Muslim too :smile:

Hii there ! I'm still considering Plymouth I can't lie but I will probably end up going. What course have you applied for and whereabouts are you moving from? For me, I've applied to Optometry and I'm moving from London. Wallah this whole experience is so frightening but kind of thrilling at the same time
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve applied for a course at plymouth and I’ve gotten accepted but just need to find other hijabis or muslim girls I can share an accom with, get to know etc!!

Hey there Anonymous #1 and @H.ff33,

Congratulations on being accepted to the University of Plymouth!

If you are struggling with finding your specific requirements for accommodation, you are always welcome to contact our accommodations team who are here help in any way they can (+44 01752 588644). If not, there are many options for living in Plymouth, which could even include studio flats?

Personally I am not Muslim, but two of my best friends are who I live with this year. One who is currently the chair of the Nigerian society and has MANY Muslim female and male friends, so you will definitely not be alone and you will be able to meet people very quickly from all types of backgrounds and courses :smile:.

Thalia - University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep:parrot:
Original post by University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Hey there Anonymous #1 and @H.ff33,

Congratulations on being accepted to the University of Plymouth!

If you are struggling with finding your specific requirements for accommodation, you are always welcome to contact our accommodations team who are here help in any way they can (+44 01752 588644). If not, there are many options for living in Plymouth, which could even include studio flats?

Personally I am not Muslim, but two of my best friends are who I live with this year. One who is currently the chair of the Nigerian society and has MANY Muslim female and male friends, so you will definitely not be alone and you will be able to meet people very quickly from all types of backgrounds and courses :smile:.

thank you so much thalia! do u happen to know when people new to the uni usually start applying for accommodation, the best time for applying, and when they should apply by if they dont want to potentially miss a good space? im considering renting privately
thank you so much thalia! do u happen to know when people new to the uni usually start applying for accommodation, the best time for applying, and when they should apply by if they dont want to potentially miss a good space? im considering renting privately

No problem :smile: To all new undergraduate first-year students who make Plymouth their firm first choice and apply before the 16th of June 2022, are guaranteed a place in halls, whether that be university managed or accredited private providers. You can apply after but it is not recommended as the waitlists can become quite long for these types of accommodations. Click here for:
- University managed halls of residence
- Private sector
Prices do vary between all of these accommodations and it's your choice dependant on what you want and feel like is right for you :smile: Take some time to weigh up the pros and cons between any you are interested in and if you still can't decide, pick out of a hat haha. No matter what, you will be able to arrange for some form of accommodation at any point during the year (not necessarily these options provided, but in the form of shared housing which a majority of students do in second, third and fourth years etc.). Obviously the earlier it's sorted the greater the guarantee you have and less stress... But, you will definitely be able to find some sort of living.

heyyy! I'm Muslim and between Plymouth and city for optom but am sooo scared to move out of London (fears of mental struggle and inability to be self-sufficient; worse by the fact I won't know anyone); how are you guys so sure you wanna do it, if I can ask?? thanks:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
hey I'm muslim too and I'm thinking of firming plymouth but I'm struggling in choosing accommodation as I wanna stay with other muslims too in a single sex flat. I was thinking about astor house but I'm not sure, are there any halls which you'd recommend?? Also are there any other muslim girls thinking about booking astor??
Heyy I'm a Muslim and inshallah i will be going to Plymouth uni this year! I don't know too much but I already live in Plymouth, if I can be of any help - I think beckley point (I only know people who live here) or astor house are good options for accommodation, some others that I've seen people talk about are Francis drake or Mary Newman which are both on campus but all of these are very close to the uni so I wouldn't worry about being able to get to class.

As for anxieties about moving, ik it's scary but trust that you'll have lots of people there to welcome you, myself included! There are also lots of societies and I'm pretty sure there's a new group chat at the start of the year for new students? Idk if not then we can just make one lol but point is that there are gonna be lots of events and stuff to help get to know everyone (including ISOC - the Islamic society!) so inshallah I'll see you guys there!
Hi Anonymous #2,

That's wonderful to hear you are thinking about firming Plymouth!
In terms of setting preferences for your living situations, when you book accommodation through University managed halls which is any of our on campus sites such as Mary Newman or Francis Drake or our Student Village you will be able to do this.

From here you have the option to preference your living situation, whether this be a quiet flat, no drinking, specific religion only, girls only etc., flat. I remember having the options to choose these when picking Mary Newman in my first year and this system will be used for the other accommodations previously listed also. If you are looking for private accommodation, I'm sure that you can contact the agents or the company to further ask about this if it is not an option already when applying.

Hope this helps a little and if you have anymore questions please do ask!

hey I'm muslim too and I'm thinking of firming plymouth but I'm struggling in choosing accommodation as I wanna stay with other muslims too in a single sex flat. I was thinking about astor house but I'm not sure, are there any halls which you'd recommend?? Also are there any other muslim girls thinking about booking astor??
ty
ty.
Heyy I'm a Muslim and inshallah i will be going to Plymouth uni this year! I don't know too much but I already live in Plymouth, if I can be of any help - I think beckley point (I only know people who live here) or astor house are good options for accommodation, some others that I've seen people talk about are Francis drake or Mary Newman which are both on campus but all of these are very close to the uni so I wouldn't worry about being able to get to class.

As for anxieties about moving, ik it's scary but trust that you'll have lots of people there to welcome you, myself included! There are also lots of societies and I'm pretty sure there's a new group chat at the start of the year for new students? Idk if not then we can just make one lol but point is that there are gonna be lots of events and stuff to help get to know everyone (including ISOC - the Islamic society!) so inshallah I'll see you guys there!

Hi I'm missing

hey I'm muslim too and I'm thinking of firming plymouth but I'm struggling in choosing accommodation as I wanna stay with other muslims too in a single sex flat. I was thinking about astor house but I'm not sure, are there any halls which you'd recommend?? Also are there any other muslim girls thinking about booking astor?

Hi I'm Muslim too ive had a similar problem with you .I've book residence halls and they ask if you wanna single sex flat etc... they take your preferences into consideration, the earlier you do it the better I guess. Also if you know anyone in the same house you can write their name down so there's some possibility to get a chance in living with them. I've booked mine in pilgrim , by the time I had decided it was limited choice between 2 accommodation places so I recommend if you want to live in residence hall look as soon as possible. I've met a few people who are in different houses. I think whichever house you book they will be some Muslims but maybe not at the same flat I've met few from different houses.If you're going this year lmk tho there's multiple different groups on different platforms eg insta , Snapchat etc... I'll add you. Have you booked your accommodation yet if so what did you pick? Hope this helped 😀
Hi,I am a muslim girl and taken admission in Arts Uni Plymouth in Sep'23. I have arranged a 2 bed flat and looking for a female muslim company to share the flat (starting Oct'23 1st week). Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hii there ! I'm still considering Plymouth I can't lie but I will probably end up going. What course have you applied for and whereabouts are you moving from? For me, I've applied to Optometry and I'm moving from London. Wallah this whole experience is so frightening but kind of thrilling at the same time

HI, currently I am year13 student and will be submitting my ucas soon for optom and so i just have few questions. is there lots of muslim girls? is it diverse? how is the living condition like and for second year do you have to find your own house to rent? DID YOU NEED INTERVIEW TO GET INTO OPTOMETRY? just overall on how you like
Original post by Izzyjahan
HI, currently I am year13 student and will be submitting my ucas soon for optom and so i just have few questions. is there lots of muslim girls? is it diverse? how is the living condition like and for second year do you have to find your own house to rent? DID YOU NEED INTERVIEW TO GET INTO OPTOMETRY? just overall on how you like

Hi Izzyjahan! 🙂

I'm a current second year student here at Plymouth and from my experience there is definitely a great level of diversity here on campus, with lots of societies and groups to get involved in with people you might have lots in common with!

For second year, there are many accommodation options here in Plymouth. Many will find friends to share a house with and there are many student agencies to help with this. The uni's SU is also on hand to give advice and guidance if you come across any issues! Alternatively, you might choose to opt for a studio flat or room in private halls. There are a few options here in the city and plenty of flats to suit all budgets from shared spaces, to private studios, 2-bed flats and more. I wouldn't worry too much about it as there is so much support to look for accommodation but many people will start to secure their accommodation late 2024/early 2025 when you start so I would definitely recommend looking fairly early.

For optometry, I don't study that subject so I'm not sure unfortunately, however you can chat to current students studying specific subjects on our Unibuddy page so please check that out to ask more questions or feel free to check out the course page for more info!

Generally though, I have loved my time here at Plymouth so far and I'm sure you will too! If you have any more questions please feel free to let me know and I'd happily answer any you might have! 🙂

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Student Ambassador
Reply 16
Original post by Izzyjahan

omg hey im in y13 and i've literally just had my offer from plymouth for optom and i'm muslim, i did need an interview for optom but they're pretty nice and chill :smile:

Inshallah you do wellll <3
Original post by #slayyyy
omg hey im in y13 and i've literally just had my offer from plymouth for optom and i'm muslim, i did need an interview for optom but they're pretty nice and chill :smile:

Inshallah you do wellll <3

Hi! Congratulations on your offer from Plymouth! 😀

If you ever have any questions please feel free to let me know or check out our course reps on Unibuddy!

Best of luck! 🙂

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending