The Student Room Group

St Andrews vs Edinburgh Computer Science

Hi everyone,

I've gotten offers from both St Andrews and Edinburgh, to study 'Maths and Computer science', and 'Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science' respectively. Edinburgh's offer was 3A* whilst St A's offer was 2A*A.

I've got no idea which one to pick between the two as my firm choice and I was hoping that some of you with a little experience could help?

For additional information:
I want to focus on the A.I. side of things but I feel like St A has more of a label than Edinburgh, could be wrong.
Prestige does matter to me.
I'm still waiting for King's College London's decision for Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence, should I even consider them if I get an offer?
I do want a memorable university experience, night life and all.

Anything would help, thanks in advance!!
Original post by fakuet
Hi everyone,

I've gotten offers from both St Andrews and Edinburgh, to study 'Maths and Computer science', and 'Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science' respectively. Edinburgh's offer was 3A* whilst St A's offer was 2A*A.

I've got no idea which one to pick between the two as my firm choice and I was hoping that some of you with a little experience could help?

I want to focus on the A.I. side of things but I feel like St A has more of a label than Edinburgh, could be wrong.
I'm still waiting for King's College London's decision for Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence, should I even consider them if I get an offer?

Both are excellent universities. Edinburgh is probably better known for AI research than StA, but that doesn't matter at undergrad. If you are talented, you will get ample opportunities to express this at either institutions.

You're probably right that StA has a better "label" overall seeing it does so well in the domestic league tables and a certain royal couple being alumni there, but I don't think there is too much between them.

I wouldn't consider KCL - unless nightlife is your absolute overriding priority. Edinburgh doesn't really have a nightlife IMO (definitely not compared to London) and neither does StA.

Another thing you should think about is student satisfaction/teaching quality. I can tell you now that the School of Informatics at Edinburgh has a serious issue with workload and student satisfaction.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fakuet
Hi everyone,

I would firm Edinburgh if I were you....the facilities at St Andrews aren't that great and because it's not a big town, there isn't much opportunity for internships and lower jobs prospects, which is why I didn't apply there.

Edinburgh is much better and is a bustling town so I definitely recommend it. It is idyllic in its setting and has everything you need for Computer Science and is ranked 4th in the QS World Rankings for UK universities after Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial. Plus CS is their flagship course so more funding and opportunity(I too have an offer from them but I also have an offer from Imperial so I am going to firm them instead).

I would consider KCL as an insurance depending on your offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending