The Student Room Group

Applying to Computer Science at university help!!

Hi guys I am a gap year student applying for computer science for 2024 entry. The universities I'm thinking of are Bath, Manchester, Durham, Edinburgh and St Andrews.

I got 3A* in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Do you think these options are too risky considering I do not have Further maths/Computer Science A-level. For context my college did not provide Computer science A-level but did provide Further Maths.
This is just an observation from what I’ve seen.
Most Computer Science related Uni’s prefer you to do Computer Science. However, I don’t think it’s a must. Of course you’ll be at a disadvantage to those who have studied it but they teach it from anew so everyone can learn at the same pace.
About Maths, they definitely need to see a good grade, ranging from A-A* (or B if you’re on contextual offer) since computing includes a lot of maths, they need to see someone who is confident in it.
They don’t really care about your third A level, it could be anything, Politics, Economics, Geography. Anything. But they like to see a good Personal Statement and good grades overall.

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by omgwha
Hi guys I am a gap year student applying for computer science for 2024 entry. The universities I'm thinking of are Bath, Manchester, Durham, Edinburgh and St Andrews.

I got 3A* in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Do you think these options are too risky considering I do not have Further maths/Computer Science A-level. For context my college did not provide Computer science A-level but did provide Further Maths.

Absolutely not! Manchester just cares about three A*s and a decent personal statement (exact words from an admissions tutor at my school UCAS fair and the Open Day). It's the same for Edinburgh but a greater focus is put on personal statements.

Durhan WILL DEFINITELY give you an offer.

I think the one you have to worry about is St Andrews but other than that, you should be ok. Bath likes Further maths but by no means is it a requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending