The Student Room Group

I've a First in History & Politics. Ask me anything!

As people are looking to be starting University in a few short months, I thought I'd offer a hand to anyone who has any questions about a History & Politics degree!

I studied at the University of Westminster and got a 1st for my dissertation and graduated with a BA Hons 1st Class too!

Anything with Uni life, marks/grading, essays, projects, reading etc I'd be happy to help :smile:

(My dissertation was on Anglo-GDR Relations during the signing of the 1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty)
Original post by Duffy97
As people are looking to be starting University in a few short months, I thought I'd offer a hand to anyone who has any questions about a History & Politics degree!

I studied at the University of Westminster and got a 1st for my dissertation and graduated with a BA Hons 1st Class too!

Anything with Uni life, marks/grading, essays, projects, reading etc I'd be happy to help :smile:

(My dissertation was on Anglo-GDR Relations during the signing of the 1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty)

hello- well done for your graduation!
which a levels did you pick?
Reply 2
Original post by _unknowngyal._
hello- well done for your graduation!
which a levels did you pick?

I did History, Government and Politics and Sociology. Although I didn’t do too great in them! I think for university my personal statement saved me
Original post by Duffy97
I did History, Government and Politics and Sociology. Although I didn’t do too great in them! I think for university my personal statement saved me

interesting, in september ill be starting my a levels and gov & pol is one of them, what is it like? i wanted to also do history but the sixth form won't allow me to do it bc i didnt pick it at gcses regrettably- funny because they never mentioned it would impact you couple years down the line!
Reply 4
Original post by _unknowngyal._
interesting, in september ill be starting my a levels and gov & pol is one of them, what is it like? i wanted to also do history but the sixth form won't allow me to do it bc i didnt pick it at gcses regrettably- funny because they never mentioned it would impact you couple years down the line!

It’s a very varied subject! I started my A-levels 8 years ago so I think the content may be a little different now.

For example when I was in 6th form we focused on 4 units. These covered things such as ideology, parliament, UK & EU (which I doubt would be done now) and the executive.
We did things such as “how will the Scottish referendum effect the UK” and “Is it fair to call ed milliband red Ed”.

If you’re interested in politics and follow it regularly then a lot of the material you see will be self explanatory.
I’m pretty sure the voting systems are still focussed on. So perhaps if you want something to prepare for September maybe research the different methods of voting (FPTP, AV, STV, List system etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending