The Student Room Group

AS mechanics question (maths)

Hello, I have attempted this question however my method leads to acceleration giving imaginary solutions... I tried finding the magnitude of acceleration by doing Pythagoras (e.g. square root of (6t-15)^2 +16.. What am I doing wrong?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lavely
Hello, I have attempted this question however my method leads to acceleration giving imaginary solutions... I tried finding the magnitude of acceleration by doing Pythagoras (e.g. square root of (6t-15)^2 +16.. What am I doing wrong?

Can you post your working?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Can you post your working?

I know this is probably very wrong but this is what I've tried to do
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lavely
I know this is probably very wrong but this is what I've tried to do

Use F = ma and we know m = 2kg and F has magnitude 10
Reply 4
that is what I was trying to do, hence why I was trying to find the magnitude of acceleration. However what I've done gives no real solutions, could you explain a little more in detail? thank you

Use F = ma and we know m = 2kg and F has magnitude 10
So what is the accel equal to? You just sem to have an expression.
Original post by lavely
that is what I was trying to do, hence why I was trying to find the magnitude of acceleration. However what I've done gives no real solutions, could you explain a little more in detail? thank you
Reply 6
imaginary solutions

So what is the accel equal to? You just sem to have an expression.
Reply 7
Original post by lavely
imaginary solutions
I think what muttley was getting at is that we need to see the next stage of your working i.e. what equation are you trying to solve?
You just have an expression for 'a' - you need to use F = ma
Original post by lavely
imaginary solutions
Reply 9
Well I wasn't sure what next step to take since I though that by finding the value for a by solving the quadratic I could go on to substitute it into F=ma
Original post by davros
I think what muttley was getting at is that we need to see the next stage of your working i.e. what equation are you trying to solve?
Original post by lavely
Well I wasn't sure what next step to take since I though that by finding the value for a by solving the quadratic I could go on to substitute it into F=ma
Which quadratic? You're told what F and m are so you know what a is! you should be solvung a quadratic for T :smile:
Original post by lavely

Have you managed to solve this yet? Your quadratic in t is correct if you equate it correctly to (the value of) a^2 and solve as mentioned by Muttley and Davros. There is a nice shortcut as well, but its worth doing the question the "standard way" first.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
no I'm struggling to solve it since the quadratic equation keeps giving me imaginary solutions for t. Can someone tell me what the quadratic equation is meant to be!
Original post by mqb2766
Have you managed to solve this yet? Your quadratic in t is correct if you equate it correctly to (the value of) a^2 and solve as mentioned by Muttley and Davros. There is a nice shortcut as well, but its worth doing the question the "standard way" first.
Original post by lavely
no I'm struggling to solve it since the quadratic equation keeps giving me imaginary solutions for t. Can someone tell me what the quadratic equation is meant to be!

What did you get/use for a? f = 10N and m = 2kg. Its almost impossible not to get the right value for a?
Reply 14
wait I've worked it out now, I had a bit of a misunderstanding before! thank you! if that's alright could you expand on what you mean by a shortcut?
Original post by mqb2766
What did you get/use for a? f = 10N and m = 2kg. Its almost impossible not to get the right value for a?
Original post by lavely
wait I've worked it out now, I had a bit of a misunderstanding before! thank you! if that's alright could you expand on what you mean by a shortcut?

Sure, what did you get (and how)?
Reply 16
I did 25=36t^2-180t+241 and solved it as a quadratic so I got T = 2 or 3
Original post by mqb2766
Sure, what did you get (and how)?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lavely
I did 25=36t^2-180t+241 and solved it as a quadratic

Sure, thats the obvious way.
Once you have a=5, you could note that you have a 3(2t-5) : 4 : 5 right angled triangle so the first side must be +/-3 so
2t-5 = +/-1
which gives the two solutions.
As a middle ground solution, don't expand and square the 3(2t-5) term, just apply pythagoras to get
9(2t-5)^2 + 16 = 25
and that gives 2t-5 = +/-1 again.
Sometimes its worth keeping things factorized.
Reply 18
thank you!
Original post by mqb2766
Sure, thats the obvious way.
Once you have a=5, you could note that you have a 3(2t-5) : 4 : 5 right angled triangle so the first side must be +/-3 so
2t-5 = +/-1
which gives the two solutions.
As a middle ground solution, don't expand and square the 3(2t-5) term, just apply pythagoras to get
9(2t-5)^2 + 16 = 25
and that gives 2t-5 = +/-1 again.
Sometimes its worth keeping things factorized.
Original post by lavely
thank you!

Its worth keeping an eye out for 3,4,5 or 5,12,13 or ... side lengths or equivalently trig ratios involving these numbers as the basic pythagorean triples pop up reasonably often in mechanics questions and spotting them can keep things simple.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest