The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham - The School of Engineering Mathematics Aptitude Test

Hi all!

So I've received an invite to uni of Birmingham for Mechanical engineering (BEng) but I've got to do a maths aptitude test.
Their website gives very minimal resources.
If anyone has done the test please could they shed some light as I have no idea what to expect!
Number and type of questions?
Format of the test?
Difficulty level? GCSE/A-Level?
Where to get resources/past papers?

Thanks!
hi i am looking for the same answers :confused:

could you tell me how the maths aptitude test went for you / what content was on it? thanks
Reply 2
Hi,

I have been invited for a maths aptitude test as well for mechanical engineering. They did send a sample paper on what topics there are going to be, all the questions will be multiple choice and there will be 20 questions, 10 questions in part A and 10 on Part B, part A topics are mostly GCSE part B is more Alevel maths, I don't know the difficulty level but the sample paper seems alright. I'm trying to find some other past papers so I can just look over them, but I can't find any. Let me know if you find anything because their website doesn't tell anything!!😭
Ive been invited for one too, just electrical engineering they didnt even send me a sample paper!! do you have the file by any chance? :') it would be really appreciated (if its not mechanical engineering specific, id imagine they give general engineering exam papers out) its so stressful they arent giving any material for us to study by ;_; good luck for the day of ur exam!!

Original post by Mini777
Hi,

I have been invited for a maths aptitude test as well for mechanical engineering. They did send a sample paper on what topics there are going to be, all the questions will be multiple choice and there will be 20 questions, 10 questions in part A and 10 on Part B, part A topics are mostly GCSE part B is more Alevel maths, I don't know the difficulty level but the sample paper seems alright. I'm trying to find some other past papers so I can just look over them, but I can't find any. Let me know if you find anything because their website doesn't tell anything!!😭
Reply 4
Original post by Mini777
Hi,

Same, I can’t seem to find anything online. I have that test coming up aswell for mechanical engineering . Do u think the sample paper is unrealistic? Cuz it seems a bit tooo easy. I think they are trying to catfish us with that paper. I reckon it’ll be much harder.
Reply 5
Original post by Yooo363
Same, I can’t seem to find anything online. I have that test coming up aswell for mechanical engineering . Do u think the sample paper is unrealistic? Cuz it seems a bit tooo easy. I think they are trying to catfish us with that paper. I reckon it’ll be much harder.

it is pretty easy, but then again it's only 45mins and without, it does seem easy tho. I guess they just wanna asses of we know the basics. I think part A might be harder compared to the part B in the actual thing. but hopefully it goes all well and it isn't unrealistically hard. I'm totally fine if this type a paper comes up 🤣
How was it? As i just got an email today regarding an aptitude test and was wondering if u had any sample papers as i didnt get one
Reply 7
Original post by TigePlayzYT
How was it? As i just got an email today regarding an aptitude test and was wondering if u had any sample papers as i didnt get one

It was alright, I got a paper
Reply 8
Can someone please summarize the types of topics and questions please. I am unsure if i am covering the right topics (A level pure maths).
Original post by Kenhinde
Can someone please summarize the types of topics and questions please. I am unsure if i am covering the right topics (A level pure maths).

also some gcse things

Quick Reply

Latest