The Student Room Group

When shall I start past papers for A-Levels

So I’m currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Economics and I need A*AA to get into my firm. When should I start doing past papers? I still need to finish notes on all subjects. Im like 60% done on Chem notes, 70% on Econ notes and 60% on Maths notes. First exam is on 23rd May. Please be brutally honest. Im currently at BCC.
A level exams begin 23rd May and end 23rd June for me
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Falzy
So I’m currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Economics and I need A*AA to get into my firm. When should I start doing past papers? I still need to finish notes on all subjects. Im like 60% done on Chem notes, 70% on Econ notes and 60% on Maths notes. First exam is on 23rd May. Please be brutally honest. Im currently at BCC.

You did want brutal honesty - I'm good at that.

You should have been doing past papers all along - questions from them to revise and consolidate, and at least one full past paper. I can't really understand why you haven't. Also, 'Currently at BCC' doesn't bode well for A*AA at this stage. What's your insurance?

I'd get off TSR and start working, to be honest. If you've only got just over half your content complete for two of the three subjects, have never done a past paper and are quite a way off the grades you need, you've really got your work cut out. It would be worth speaking to your teachers about this to see what you can rescue in the time left.
Original post by Falzy

What notes are you even making for those subjects? Notes in economics I can understand to an extent, but chemistry and maths? Past paper questions are much more important for those subjects.
Original post by 5hyl33n
What notes are you even making for those subjects? Notes in economics I can understand to an extent, but chemistry and maths? Past paper questions are much more important for those subjects.

Yes, exactly - I thought that too. 'notes for maths' :curious:
Original post by Falzy

Don't post repeat threads https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7188599

Notes? In maths you should just be revising and doing past papers.
Tomorrow
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Don't post repeat threads https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7188599

Notes? In maths you should just be revising and doing past papers.

Yeah sorry about that. It’s because I received no replies so I repeated it. Yeah the maths part I meant like I have a book where I just do a lot of practice questions and have questions on certain topics. But I don’t know anything in mechanics like barely anything.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
You did want brutal honesty - I'm good at that.

You should have been doing past papers all along - questions from them to revise and consolidate, and at least one full past paper. I can't really understand why you haven't. Also, 'Currently at BCC' doesn't bode well for A*AA at this stage. What's your insurance?

I'd get off TSR and start working, to be honest. If you've only got just over half your content complete for two of the three subjects, have never done a past paper and are quite a way off the grades you need, you've really got your work cut out. It would be worth speaking to your teachers about this to see what you can rescue in the time left.

I never said ‘I have never done a past paper’. I’ve been doing practice questions for maths a lot and I’m good with the pure. However, I’m behind on mechanics hence why I need to do the notes. With economics I think I can get an A tbh because I just need to develop exam technique. But yep thanks for the brutal honesty. I’ve been very lazy and have been chilling on my phone and have done everything but revision
Original post by Falzy
Yeah sorry about that. It’s because I received no replies so I repeated it. Yeah the maths part I meant like I have a book where I just do a lot of practice questions and have questions on certain topics. But I don’t know anything in mechanics like barely anything.

Are you self-studying then?
Reply 9
Original post by 5hyl33n

In chemistry notes are the bases for exam success. You can’t just suddenly do past papers without content knowledge. I make notes on definitions, key mechanisms, equations (a lot of equations btw). The notes part for maths didn’t really make sense cus I don’t do notes. I just do practice questions but what I meant was like I’m behind on the mechanics part
Reply 10
Are you self-studying then?

Yep. I have all the resources in front of me. My school has blessed us with UpLearn which basically guarantees u an A for econ
Original post by Falzy
Yep. I have all the resources in front of me. My school has blessed us with UpLearn which basically guarantees u an A for econ

Im now confused - why haven't you covered all the Maths if you are going to school?
Original post by Falzy

Original post by Falzy
With economics I think I can get an A tbh because I just need to develop exam technique.

tbh, you sound pretty blasé about all this with a confidence that isn't warranted by the facts as you've presented them. Speak to your teachers, pronto to see what you can rescue from your situation.

UpLearn really does not 'guarantee you an A for economics'. Like really....
Reply 13
Im now confused - why haven't you covered all the Maths if you are going to school?

Self isolated for two weeks in January cus I was coughing a lot and then I missed the content and haven’t bothered looking back. I know it’s my fault. And I’m trying to catch up with the content asap
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
tbh, you sound pretty blasé about all this with a confidence that isn't warranted by the facts as you've presented them. Speak to your teachers, pronto to see what you can rescue from your situation.

UpLearn really does not 'guarantee you an A for economics'. Like really....

97% achieved an A and also I used it last year and got an A at AS. (Those who’ve completed the course obviously)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Falzy
Self isolated for two weeks in January cus I was coughing a lot and then I missed the content and haven’t bothered looking back. I know it’s my fault. And I’m trying to catch up with the content asap

The mechanics wouldn't have been covered in two weeks ...
Original post by Falzy
In chemistry notes are the bases for exam success. You can’t just suddenly do past papers without content knowledge. I make notes on definitions, key mechanisms, equations (a lot of equations btw). The notes part for maths didn’t really make sense cus I don’t do notes. I just do practice questions but what I meant was like I’m behind on the mechanics part

But you’ve made your notes on 60% of the course, so you do have some content knowledge. I think you can start past papers for chemistry now. If you get stuck on an exam question, look at the topics involved, read through your notes/textbook/revision guide and reattempt the question.

Same goes for equations. Do past papers. Write down the equations that are needed in order to answer the questions. You will learn them much quicker.

When you make notes on the mechanisms, do you actually understand what is going on in the mechanism, or are you just copying out the mechanism and learning what it looks like?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Falzy
97% achieved an A and also I used it last year and got an A at AS. (Those who’ve completed the course obviously)

So why are you on a B or C then?
Reply 18
Original post by 5hyl33n
But you’ve made your notes on 60% of the course, so you do have content knowledge. I think you can start past papers for chemistry now. If you get stuck on an exam question, look at the topics involved, read through your notes/textbook/revision guide and reattempt the question.

Same goes for equations. Do past papers. Write down the equations that are needed in order to answer the questions. You will learn them much quicker.

When you make notes on the mechanisms, do you actually understand what is going on in the mechanism, or are you just copying out the mechanism and learning what it looks like?

I mean idk tbh. I don’t think I feel confident enough to start past papers. I don’t know sh!t in topic 15 and im not good with topic 14. But as for the mechanisms I legit understand most of it (organic chemistry btw). But yeah. If you reckon I should start doing past papers then I can give it a shot because I have heard off a guy who got an A by just doing past papers
Reply 19
The mechanics wouldn't have been covered in two weeks ...

Yeah they taught us it in a term (7weeks) and also I have to catch up on last years one. I know some parts of kinematics but if I was to sit a mechanics paper rn I’d do bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending