The Student Room Group

Stats symbol

Does anyone know what this symbol is within statistics?5AA75C31-BEA1-4DA0-91CE-F181A0908B0E.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bigflakes
Does anyone know what this symbol is within statistics?5AA75C31-BEA1-4DA0-91CE-F181A0908B0E.jpeg

This one is tough!

Inverse cumulative. So when z=-0.5244, that corresponds to a 0.3 probability.
Reply 3

In this context, Φ (the capital Greek letter phi) is about probabilities of the Z or N(0, 1) distribution. Φ(a) = P(Z < a), that is, Φ(a) is the probability that the N(0, 1) distribution is less than a. Φ-1 is the inverse function, so if a = Φ-1(p), then a is the value such that P(Z < a) = p.

It is still a part of the current A Level, but it used to have much more prominence in the previous version of the course.
Original post by Pangol
In this context, Φ (the capital Greek letter phi) is about probabilities of the Z or N(0, 1) distribution. Φ(a) = P(Z < a), that is, Φ(a) is the probability that the N(0, 1) distribution is less than a. Φ-1 is the inverse function, so if a = Φ-1(p), then a is the value such that P(Z < a) = p.

It is still a part of the current A Level, but it used to have much more prominence in the previous version of the course.

In my course we glossed over it and used a calculator :colone:
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
Inverse cumulative. So when z=-0.5244, that corresponds to a 0.3 probability.

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by _Rusty_
In my course we glossed over it and used a calculator :colone:

Now that the course requirement is to have a calculator that can do normal probabilities for you, it does tend to get overlooked. For the old course, there was no expectation that students would have calculators that could do this, and the usual way to answer any normal probability question was to standardise and use tables, so people were using the N(0, 1) table all the time, and Φ was a bit of a bigger deal!
Original post by Pangol
Now that the course requirement is to have a calculator that can do normal probabilities for you, it does tend to get overlooked. For the old course, there was no expectation that students would have calculators that could do this, and the usual way to answer any normal probability question was to standardise and use tables, so people were using the N(0, 1) table all the time, and Φ was a bit of a bigger deal!

We still have to standardise and then put it in the calf. Tbh it’s a double edged sword, on one side I needed a high grade and therefore a topic which is very common and calc heavy was useful but from an understanding point it wasn’t. Like I get the topic but not how you do

Quick Reply

Latest