The Student Room Group

Got a 1st class degree but feel depressed

So I really worked my backside off for the past 3 years to achieve a 1st class degree. Everyone on my snapchat is out celebrating and going for drinks with friends whilst Im sat here watching YouTube, will eat and probably go to sleep later. Nobody cares and nobody will because I couldn't make any real friends during uni mostly because of the pandemic, with 2 years being online and then the 3rd year I was busy with work and ended up leaving the job anyway. Its just a realisation that my life is just miserable and empty without friends or someone to celebrate my achievements/milestones with. Yes I have my family but that's all... Its embarrassing.. I never got to experience university life or make some awesome memories and its just too late...
Don't worry. Achieving a first is dope af - congratulations. And tbh, not everyone will make 'lifelong' friends at university. Just move on and enjoy life.
Hi there, I feel similarly! Please know your not alone in celebrating your 1st at home. And your certainly not alone in the disappointment of not experiencing ‘The university experience’, especially after studying though the pandemic.I hope the next person you reach out to showers you in admiration for your achievements, not just your grade but the fact you got though university. It might take some time for the last 3 years and the weight of your experiences to process, and that’s ok too. For now, think of a small way you can celebrate for yourself. Doesn’t have to be flashy, just notable for you. And when your ready you can have a bigger celebration if you want. I hope you will have an easy opportunity to drink and meet more people at graduation too! It’s never too late to make friends, and thankfully university isn’t the be all end all place to make life long friends 🫂Take it easy and be extra kind to yourself
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So I really worked my backside off for the past 3 years to achieve a 1st class degree. Everyone on my snapchat is out celebrating and going for drinks with friends whilst Im sat here watching YouTube, will eat and probably go to sleep later. Nobody cares and nobody will because I couldn't make any real friends during uni mostly because of the pandemic, with 2 years being online and then the 3rd year I was busy with work and ended up leaving the job anyway. Its just a realisation that my life is just miserable and empty without friends or someone to celebrate my achievements/milestones with. Yes I have my family but that's all... Its embarrassing.. I never got to experience university life or make some awesome memories and its just too late...

Tough love but you need to get out of your comfort zone. Do things you normally don't do or things you're good at and MAKE friends. They won't just find you in your basement. We weren't made to exist without external human contact, hence the depression.
Original post by Anonymous

im sorry this is really tough is it because you only got a first? just work harder next year and i'm sure you can go a up a grade! don't be too hard on yourself lover
Original post by elloluvswagwan
im sorry this is really tough is it because you only got a first? just work harder next year and i'm sure you can go a up a grade! don't be too hard on yourself lover

Only a first? What do you mean lmao, a first class is the highest grade you can get. And OP has already graduated.

no need to be a ****
Original post by black tea
no need to be a ****

im sorry, i didnt take my meds yesterday :frown:

Errmm what?

Quick Reply

Latest