The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

University of St Andrews - 2023 Applicants Thread

getting-to-st-andrews.jpg

:woo:University of St Andrews 2023 Applicants Thread:woo:

This thread is for anything St Andrews related.

Information about St Andrews

St Andrews is notorious for taking their time with their decision. I don't think people fully understand the wait until they have to do it themselves. You could have 3 or 4 decisions come back within a week of submitting your application but still not hear from St Andrews for months. So please be patient and try and not read into the wait too much. Just like you, it's a big decision for them to allow you to come on their course so it will take them some time.

Please do not use this thread to ask for offsite media chat information or for sharing social media details. The Student Room is a place for young people to connect safely online, it is a public website, by posting your social media details in this thread you are allowing everyone looking at the Internet to see your handles etc. To keep you, and all our other user's safe, TSR doesn't allow sharing of offsite media groups. Any mentions of this will be removed by VTs or VSLs. Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

hey all! (also hello @_Rusty_ imagine seeing you again)

I'm a gap year applicant with A* A* A (Compsci, Philosophy, maths) achieved at A-level. Applying for CS & Phil

I was rejected from St. A last year in mid may, but I am like an ear infection that wont go away so I'm trying again.

EDIT: also got a poggers job offer for the year so thought i might as well take a gap year
(edited 1 year ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ivywalkerrr

I'm a gap year applicant with A* A* A (Compsci, Philosophy, maths) achieved at A-level. Applying for CS & Phil

I was rejected from St. A last year in mid may, but I am like an ear infection that wont go away so I'm trying again.

EDIT: also got a poggers job offer for the year so thought i might as well take a gap year

Great to see you here

What’s you job
I’m also a computer science applicant for 2023 applying in S6 and I am Scottish.

I already have six highers and advanced higher maths all at A grade (I took two highers in S4).

Hoping for an early offer if I apply soon, but I understand this is not perhaps realistic.
Original post by _Rusty_
Great to see you here

What’s you job

I'm working for A fertility research lab as a part time intern :smile: just gonna be learning about the code and hopefully get my name on a research paper if all goes well! Also going to work at Waterstones part time lol
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey I’m an S6 student applying for computing science.
I achieved AAAAB at higher, looking to appeal the B.
I’m currently taking AH maths, AH physics & AH computing science (might also be taking AH mechanics).
Luckily, I meet the criteria for the guaranteed offer scheme, so I only had to achieve AABB at higher 😁
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
@_Rusty_, just in time, thank you very much!
You know why I am here. Although, taking into account the accommodation crisis, I wonder if the person I am here on behalf of, will apply...
But then again - looks like it is rather omnipresent issue.

Is it for all applicants or just ug ones?
Original post by Ulf
@_Rusty_, just in time, thank you very much!
You know why I am here. Although, taking into account the accommodation crisis, I wonder if the person I am here on behalf of, will apply...
But then again - looks like it is rather omnipresent issue.

Is it for all applicants or just ug ones?

Ulf!

nice to see you here again:smile:

AFAIK 1st are all entitled to accommodation but where they’re are put is the question. 2nd year onwards are finding it incredibly hard and are having to move out of st a to places like Dundee which just makes quality of life worse. The unions are trying to sort out proper accommodation to help as well as trying to find solutions to the cost of living crisis but time will tell whether they are resolved in time.
Reply 8
Original post by _Rusty_
Ulf!

nice to see you here again:smile:

AFAIK 1st are all entitled to accommodation but where they’re are put is the question. 2nd year onwards are finding it incredibly hard and are having to move out of st a to places like Dundee which just makes quality of life worse. The unions are trying to sort out proper accommodation to help as well as trying to find solutions to the cost of living crisis but time will tell whether they are resolved in time.

Thanks! :five:

If it goes like this, the Open university will become a rather popular choice.

Not sure that staying in Dundee is too bad considering - it is full of students and some 'refreshments' been done by the council etc. (was talking to somebody whose son was at Dundee University a few years back). Matter of attitude really.

Will you keep this thread for all applicants or just for the undergrad entry?
Original post by Ulf
Thanks! :five:

If it goes like this, the Open university will become a rather popular choice.

Not sure that staying in Dundee is too bad considering - it is full of students and some 'refreshments' been done by the council etc. (was talking to somebody whose son was at Dundee University a few years back). Matter of attitude really.

Will you keep this thread for all applicants or just for the undergrad entry?

it is definitely an option - university isn’t everything college apprenticeship going straight into employment are all still great options.

Yes it’s definitely not all bad but I suppose you don’t feel as much as a member of the st a community. As you say matter of opinion.

This will be for undergrads I imagine. I think it was like that last year. @ivywalkerrr could confirm?
Reply 10
@_Rusty_ , then probably it would make sense to include Undergraduate to the title?

Well, nobody's arguing that getting a full package - education+community - would be great, but sometimes it is either or due to the intrinsic property of life being not fair (no deep meaning, I just like the words). I still think that becoming an electrician would be a way better choice for many :biggrin:
Original post by Ulf
@_Rusty_ , then probably it would make sense to include Undergraduate to the title?

Well, nobody's arguing that getting a full package - education+community - would be great, but sometimes it is either or due to the intrinsic property of life being not fair (no deep meaning, I just like the words). I still think that becoming an electrician would be a way better choice for many :biggrin:

We’ll wait to hear what ivywalkerrr says as they’ve been on the thread last year the entire time:smile:

The title last year was exactly the same
Original post by _Rusty_
it is definitely an option - university isn’t everything college apprenticeship going straight into employment are all still great options.

Yes it’s definitely not all bad but I suppose you don’t feel as much as a member of the st a community. As you say matter of opinion.

This will be for undergrads I imagine. I think it was like that last year. @ivywalkerrr could confirm?

I only remember undergrads on last years thread, however whether it was undergrad specific was never specified
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm an international applicant from the US for history. Any and all advice regarding UCAS (especially personal statement requirements) and St. Andrews is appreciated.
Original post by inttrying
I'm an international applicant from the US for history. Any and all advice regarding UCAS (especially personal statement requirements) and St. Andrews is appreciated.

Be prepared to wait until May to hear back from the uni!
Be prepared to wait until May to hear back from the uni!

This^^^

Nice to see you on here again. I'm the same as you, a weed of a gap year applicant who won't go away.
Grades A*AA (comp sci, physics, maths), and an A* in my epq. I'm also doing 2 A-Levels in one year lolol
Original post by Eeeeeej
Nice to see you on here again. I'm the same as you, a weed of a gap year applicant who won't go away.
Grades A*AA (comp sci, physics, maths), and an A* in my epq. I'm also doing 2 A-Levels in one year lolol

Best of luck:smile:
Original post by Eeeeeej

hi!!! also wow good luck with the additional A-levels wat are you taking?
hey! I'm applying for philosophy in a couple of weeks, I'll be RUK so applying through UCAS. I'm predicted A*, A and Distinction for my A Levels.
I'm fairly certain my personal statement is fantastic but does anyone have little tips on how to make my chances higher? I've completed a MOOC and waiting for my EPQ grades...

manifesting an unconditional rn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending