Why Reading?:
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

Scroll to see replies

Woohoo, thread should be stuck next week :woo:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Welcome everyone! Thanks @Ghostlady for starting this off!

Please give us a shout if you have any questions about the University of Reading, a specific course, or life at Reading in general, and we will be happy to help :smile: Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Lottie
GRTUK and University of Reading alumna
Reply 3
Original post by UniofReading
Welcome everyone! Thanks @Ghostlady for starting this off!

Please give us a shout if you have any questions about the University of Reading, a specific course, or life at Reading in general, and we will be happy to help :smile: Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Lottie
GRTUK and University of Reading

Daughter is applying for next year.
What course are you applying for? Zoology
What subjects are you currently studying?: Psychology, Geography, Biology
Predicted A level grades:A*AB
GCSE grades:98887776
What other universities are you applying to?: Bangor, lancaster. Lincoln and Chester.
Why Reading?: She loves the campus and also the course.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: MOOC in animal behaviour, summer residential at edge hill, leader of the envionmental group at school, Charity committee leader at school. EPQ on zoos and whether they are a good thing or a bad thing.
Original post by Ghostlady

Daughter is applying for next year.
What course are you applying for? Zoology
Predicted A level grades:A*AB
GCSE grades:98887776
What other universities are you applying to?: Bangor, lancaster. Lincoln and Chester.
Why Reading?: She loves the campus and also the course.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: MOOC in animal behaviour, summer residential at edge hill, leader of the envionmental group at school, Charity committee leader at school. EPQ on zoos and whether they are a good thing or a bad thing.

That sounds great! We are so happy she likes the campus and sound of the course.

Wishing her the best of luck with her A Levels and applications. If she has any questions or anything, please let us know!

We hope we can welcome her to the campus again soon.
Skye :smile:
2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
We know this thread is for applicants, but if anyone is interested, we've got a little message about Open Days & making the most of them! :smile:

Open days are a great opportunity to get some hands-on experience of University before you confirm your choices and apply! You get the opportunity to speak to both staff and students in the subjects and departments you’re interested in, explore campus, and maybe even pick up a few freebies 😉 You can also look at some of the other on-campus opportunities on offer to you as an undergraduate here at Reading: work and volunteering, societies, shops, travel, support and advice services, the Student Union, and so much more!

Some of our top tips for Open Days would be:
Leave enough time for travel! The last thing you want is to miss your key talks or get stuck in rush hour traffic 🙁
Take a Campus Tour! Not only are they also run by students who can give you personal insight into the different buildings and departments, but they’re a great way to find your bearings on Campus.
Check the course you’re interested in online before you arrive. You can find all of our undergraduate courses using the ‘view courses’ tab in the top right of our website reading.ac.uk. Doing this will enable you to get a feel for the course before you come, and prepare a few questions to ask staff or students when you get here 😊
Explore the surrounding area! Our on-campus bus route 21/a takes you directly to the town centre you’ll find loads of public spaces, shops and restaurants as well as our train station and other green spaces, so be sure to check it out!

The University of Reading’s next Open days are on the 8th and 15th of October, and are a great opportunity to check us out as a university and talk to current students about their experiences to help you narrow down your choices. Hope to see you there! 😊
(edited 1 year ago)
Happy to say I got a contextual offer yesterday! (13/10/22)
What course are you applying for?: BSc Geography (Human)
What subjects are you currently studying?: Geography, Psychology and Sociology
Predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 999877775
What other universities are you applying to?: Cambridge, Durham, UEA and York
Why Reading?: loved the campus and really enjoyed the open day - it’s isn’t too far from where I live either
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Sutton Trust Summer school (lectures, workshops) , MOOC on sustainable development goals, workshop on energy resources, visiting Iceland in 2019.
Original post by eviebush12
Happy to say I got a contextual offer yesterday! (13/10/22)
What course are you applying for?: BSc Geography (Human)
What subjects are you currently studying?: Geography, Psychology and Sociology
Predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 999877775
What other universities are you applying to?: Cambridge, Durham, UEA and York
Why Reading?: loved the campus and really enjoyed the open day - it’s isn’t too far from where I live either
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Sutton Trust Summer school (lectures, workshops) , MOOC on sustainable development goals, workshop on energy resources, visiting Iceland in 2019.

Hey @eviebush12,

That is such great news, congratulations!!
We are so glad you enjoyed visiting on the open day and we really hope we can welcome you next year.

If you have any questions at all about the university, Reading or the course, please don't hesitate to ask - we'd love to help if we can.

Good luck with the rest of your a-levels!
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
HiWe are going to the open day tomorrow. Having problems with the website. Are there subject talks and if so where do we find the timings of those talks. Also, which campus is the business and management degree taught at? Whiteknight campus or the greenlands campus. I thought it was the whiteknight campus but am now totally confused.Thanks
Original post by cuddly kittens
HiWe are going to the open day tomorrow. Having problems with the website. Are there subject talks and if so where do we find the timings of those talks. Also, which campus is the business and management degree taught at? Whiteknight campus or the greenlands campus. I thought it was the whiteknight campus but am now totally confused.Thanks

Hey @cuddly kittens
We are so sorry we missed this question!

Did you end up going to the open day after and did you find out everything you needed to know? You should have had a timetable when you arrived. Hope this was helpful, but once again, so sorry we didn't get to your question in time!

If you have any other questions, please do ask away and we will do our best to answer when we can.

3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
What course are you applying for?:
English Literature and Creative Writing

What subjects are you currently studying?:
English Literature, History, Biology and Welsh Bacc

Predicted A level grades:
A*AAB

GCSE grades:
9 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs

What other universities are you applying to?:
Royal Holloway, Birmingham, Queen Mary University of London and Cardiff

Why Reading?:
The campus is lovely and I love the university's environmental ethos, the lecturers were lovely at the open day and the course sounds perfect

What have you done to strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

Quite a lot of online courses, performed in Shakespeare plays AND SO MUCH READING
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by rory_73
What course are you applying for?:
English Literature and Creative Writing

What subjects are you currently studying?:
English Literature, History, Biology and Welsh Bacc

Predicted A level grades:
A*AAB

GCSE grades:
9 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs

What other universities are you applying to?:
Royal Holloway, Birmingham, Bath Spa and Cardiff

Why Reading?:
The campus is lovely and I love the university's environmental ethos, the lecturers were lovely at the open day and the course sounds perfect

What have you done to strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

Quite a lot of online courses, performed in Shakespeare plays AND SO MUCH READING

Hey @rory_73!

I think I just replied to you on another thread, but thought I'd reply on this official thread too, just in case.

So glad you like the campus and the sound of the course! Sounds like you've done some fab relevant extracurriculars too, so well done!

If you have any questions about anything over the next few weeks/months about anything at all, do feel free to ask and we will try our best to answer - no question is a silly question, remember!

Best of luck with your studies and finding the right university for you!
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Hi everyone!

We just thought we’d create a little post about an exciting upcoming event here at the University of Reading: our annual Stenton Lecture!
This year Professor Brenda Stevenson of St John’s College, Oxford University is our speaker, and will be presenting on the topic of Enslaved Mothers and their Children. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to learn more about slavery from a different perspective, and consider prominent historical topics that are frequently discussed at university-level: gender, race, social conflict and the consequent social and familial structures that were constructed in American society. This could be something very interesting to include in your personal statement, and the perfect opportunity to get a taste for studying History at degree-level! If this is something you would be interested in finding out more about, please follow this link to learn more and sign up to the lecture.

The event is taking place between 6-8pm on November 17th in our Henley Business School on Whiteknights Campus. Hope to see some of you there!
Kath 😊
3rd Year History Undergraduate
Hey I’m Mena
I’m applying to Msci Applied psychology (clinical)
A level predicted grades: A (psychology), A politics, B (biology) A (EPQ)
GCSE grades: 9,8,77,7,7,6,5,4
Applying to reading because they are one of the only 2 universities in England that do this specific course, other is Exeter. But exeter is too far. I’m from London BTW.
Reply 14
What course are you applying for?: Psychology
What subjects are you currently studying?: Chemistry, Psychology and Maths
Predicted A level grades: AAB
GCSE grades: 9999888A*A
What other universities are you applying to?: Reading, Cardiff, Kent and Bournemouth
Why Reading?: The campus is great and I love its close proximity to London. I also like the course they offer.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Debate Society, Charity work, MOOC on Forensic Psychology, Wider Reading on Art Therapy and an attachment at the Psychology department- working with autistic children
Hey @Mena1005 & @meg0902 !

Great to hear you've applied for Reading and both with such similar courses too!!

I actually have a lot of friends on both the Psychology and Clinical Psychology courses, in varying years, so do ask any questions you have about either one, or about Reading in general.

Good luck with the rest of your studies & application process!

Hi!! I’m Ali, nice to meet you all :smile:

What course are you applying for?: Pharmaceutical Chemistry
What subjects are you currently studying?: Biology, Chemistry, and Latin
GCSE grades: 5 9s, 3 8s, 2 7s
What other universities are you applying to?: Birmingham, Bath, and Lancaster!
Why Reading?: The course modules here sound interesting, but I think I love the campus and its focus on green sustainability! Also, it’s a lot more quiet than city campuses and I love that.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: I’ve done a chemistry workshop at University of Lancaster using NMR spectroscopy and other analytical techniques, entered the Chem Olympiad, attended a lecture at University of Lancaster which sort of combined biomedical science & chemistry, and done a MOOC on drug development!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ali_1564
Hi!! I’m Ali, nice to meet you all :smile:

What course are you applying for?: Pharmaceutical Chemistry
What subjects are you currently studying?: Biology, Chemistry, and Latin
GCSE grades: 5 9s, 3 8s, 2 7s
What other universities are you applying to?: Leicester, Sheffield, and Lincoln!
Why Reading?: The course modules here sound interesting, but I think I love the campus and its focus on green sustainability! Also, it’s a lot more quiet than city campuses and I love that.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: I’ve done a chemistry workshop at University of Lancaster using NMR spectroscopy and other analytical techniques, entered the Chem Olympiad, attended a lecture at University of Lancaster which sort of combined biomedical science & chemistry, and done a MOOC on drug development!

Hey @ali_1564!

Great to hear that you've applied to Reading and we're so glad you like the campus! That is one of my favourite things about studying here too if I'm honest - especially during the pandemic, it was such a blessing to have such open spaces and greenery to walk round!

If you have any questions about life in Reading or anything, please let us know!
Good luck with the rest of your studies / application process.

Hi Reading ambassadors :biggrin: I have a few questions about life in Reading.
Supermarkets. I went with my daughter on open day and for breakfast we had some pastries at Morrisons so I know theres one there, but on google maps is a bit of a bind to get to via any kind of bus route. So my question is, where do you go for your shop?. Cost of living going up my eldest who is at Lancaster uni uses various shops including too good to go app.

Second question was this one. Now its around the housing time for students, Ive been looking in general how much is the rent in that area, and noticed the a lot of the local letting agents put the total cost per house per month/week instead of how much it is per person. Does that total amount advertised mean that the student is responsible for each others rent if one of them does not pay? Or are they actually individual contracts and the student just is responsible for themselves? I was a bit confused on that one. example: https://www.westgatestudents.co.uk/properties.aspx?mode=1&menuID=2 or https://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/Reading.html

Third one is nightlife :smile: Recommendations on bars/clubs? We did go to the riverside earlier this year and chilled outside with a drink from all bar one which was great, but if you have any recommendations that would be great. She like a mix of mainstream music and also music like Lovejoy, and indie bands:smile:
Son is applying for 2023
What course are you applying for? Ecology and Wildlife Conservation
Predicted A level grades:AAB A for EPQ
What other universities are you applying to?: Sheffield and UEA
Why Reading?: He loves the course above everything and liked the campus.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Lots of MOOCs in, for example, paleobiology and ecosystems, summer residential abroad on a marine ecology survey (scuba diving), lots of scuba diving courses and on track to be a master scuba diver, EPQ on millipede ecology, rescues and rehabilitates hedgehogs before releasing them, working on Project Lugger, bird trainer (so birds fly free in displays), works at falconry centre to educate the public and completed marine mammal surveyor course (plus another) with ORCA ... and more.
Fingers crossed he will get an offer...
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending