Official University of Reading 2023 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghostlady

Daughter is applying for next year.
What course are you applying for? Zoology
What subjects are you currently studying?: Psychology, Geography, Biology
Predicted A level grades:A*AB
GCSE grades:98887776
What other universities are you applying to?: Bangor, lancaster. Lincoln and Chester.
Why Reading?: She loves the campus and also the course.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: MOOC in animal behaviour, summer residential at edge hill, leader of the envionmental group at school, Charity committee leader at school. EPQ on zoos and whether they are a good thing or a bad thing.

Update - Application finally went off today after a delay at the teachers end. Chester came in at BCC reduced offer (insurance choice) - Reading (topchoice) has sent confirmation email and said it can take up to 4 weeks.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi Reading ambassadors :biggrin: I have a few questions about life in Reading.
Supermarkets. I went with my daughter on open day and for breakfast we had some pastries at Morrisons so I know theres one there, but on google maps is a bit of a bind to get to via any kind of bus route. So my question is, where do you go for your shop?. Cost of living going up my eldest who is at Lancaster uni uses various shops including too good to go app.

Second question was this one. Now its around the housing time for students, Ive been looking in general how much is the rent in that area, and noticed the a lot of the local letting agents put the total cost per house per month/week instead of how much it is per person. Does that total amount advertised mean that the student is responsible for each others rent if one of them does not pay? Or are they actually individual contracts and the student just is responsible for themselves? I was a bit confused on that one. example: https://www.westgatestudents.co.uk/properties.aspx?mode=1&menuID=2 or https://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/Reading.html

Third one is nightlife :smile: Recommendations on bars/clubs? We did go to the riverside earlier this year and chilled outside with a drink from all bar one which was great, but if you have any recommendations that would be great. She like a mix of mainstream music and also music like Lovejoy, and indie bands:smile:

Hey @Ghostlady!

A few great questions here, so I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Firstly, supermarkets! We have a dedicated 21/a bus route that goes straight through campus and takes students directly to town and the station in one direction and the local ASDA in the other, so that's a popular one. We've also got a Tesco superstore, two ALDIs and a LIDL, and some smaller local Coops and Tesco's around the main campus area. Most people tend to either go to ASDA or get a lift from a friend or local taxi company/Uber to a different one. Myself, I usually walk with my housemates to the local ALDI or Tesco which are 20 and 35 minutes away from my off-campus house, just to save money! It really depends on personal preference, but there's plenty of options. :smile:

As for second and third year housing, most students will split the monthly cost evenly between them. It seems very confusing on surface level but, for the majority of people, once they decide who they would like to live with they view houses with the right number of rooms and decide between them how to split the cost. For example, in my last year the two people with the bigger rooms and en-suites paid an extra £12 a month than those with a smaller room and shared bathroom, but this year we all split the cost evenly as we share bathrooms. It's totally up to the tenants how the cost is divided if they're renting a house or flat as a group, but if privately renting individually obviously it would be an individual cost. It seems for most students that they rent as a group, and in that situation it is often the case that each tenant is liable for their own rent or finding a replacement tenant if they aren't able to fulfil their contract and pay their rent. This situation is also why every student will need a guarantor to sign their contract, basically a parent or responsible adult/guardian assuring the landlord and letting agent that if the tenant cannot pay their rent, the guarantor will - precisely to avoid the responsibility going to other tenants.

One of our local places called Purple Turtle do Indie nights every so often, but most local clubs will do mainstream stuff combined with themed nights like 90s or ABBA which are a lot of fun. Bars and restaurants tend to have more relaxed indie-style music, but I think its a good part of her uni experience to try some different places until she finds one she likes! Our train links make it super easy to get to places like London, Bristol or Brighton if there are events there she wants to go to as well :smile:

I really hope this answered your questions! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Kath :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate
What course are you applying for?: Construction management and Surveying
What subjects are you currently studying?: Very Mature Student not currently in education
Predicted A level grades: What if youre not doing A-levels?
GCSE grades: Not/Applicable.
What other universities are you applying to?: None. Its Reading or Nothing. However, I will consider Loughborough or Brighton if they go into clearing for Construction Management. Thats if I don't get an offer from reading.
Why Reading?:
Roughly 1 hr away from Oxford street, where I work. Top 10 for the course. Can afford to live there, London has become toxic since covid.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Work experience as a qualified manager. 10 years volunteering for various charities. Online Courses in the Subject area. I have yet to apply as I'm struggling to write my personal statement. I have a lot to say so finding it difficult deciding on where to start.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Ghostlady!

A few great questions here, so I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Firstly, supermarkets! We have a dedicated 21/a bus route that goes straight through campus and takes students directly to town and the station in one direction and the local ASDA in the other, so that's a popular one. We've also got a Tesco superstore, two ALDIs and a LIDL, and some smaller local Coops and Tesco's around the main campus area. Most people tend to either go to ASDA or get a lift from a friend or local taxi company/Uber to a different one. Myself, I usually walk with my housemates to the local ALDI or Tesco which are 20 and 35 minutes away from my off-campus house, just to save money! It really depends on personal preference, but there's plenty of options. :smile:

As for second and third year housing, most students will split the monthly cost evenly between them. It seems very confusing on surface level but, for the majority of people, once they decide who they would like to live with they view houses with the right number of rooms and decide between them how to split the cost. For example, in my last year the two people with the bigger rooms and en-suites paid an extra £12 a month than those with a smaller room and shared bathroom, but this year we all split the cost evenly as we share bathrooms. It's totally up to the tenants how the cost is divided if they're renting a house or flat as a group, but if privately renting individually obviously it would be an individual cost. It seems for most students that they rent as a group, and in that situation it is often the case that each tenant is liable for their own rent or finding a replacement tenant if they aren't able to fulfil their contract and pay their rent. This situation is also why every student will need a guarantor to sign their contract, basically a parent or responsible adult/guardian assuring the landlord and letting agent that if the tenant cannot pay their rent, the guarantor will - precisely to avoid the responsibility going to other tenants.

One of our local places called Purple Turtle do Indie nights every so often, but most local clubs will do mainstream stuff combined with themed nights like 90s or ABBA which are a lot of fun. Bars and restaurants tend to have more relaxed indie-style music, but I think its a good part of her uni experience to try some different places until she finds one she likes! Our train links make it super easy to get to places like London, Bristol or Brighton if there are events there she wants to go to as well :smile:

I really hope this answered your questions! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Hi thanks Kath its really good to know that thank you. The eldest goes to Lancaster and I have a page set up on here with lots of useful handy information from bus routes to local cafe's and best accommodation areas to live. And, if all being well the youngest gets into Reading then hopefully try to do something similar :smile: We have been twice to Reading and we love the riverside area. She got an offer from Reading today. Reduced offer from BBB to BBD so shes very pleased with that :biggrin:
Hi thanks Kath its really good to know that thank you. The eldest goes to Lancaster and I have a page set up on here with lots of useful handy information from bus routes to local cafe's and best accommodation areas to live. And, if all being well the youngest gets into Reading then hopefully try to do something similar :smile: We have been twice to Reading and we love the riverside area. She got an offer from Reading today. Reduced offer from BBB to BBD so shes very pleased with that :biggrin:

No worries!! I'm sure so many people will find that helpful - we've been loving seeing what you make of visiting us here at Reading! 😊 and that's incredible news!! Massive congratulations to her - hopefully we'll see her in September :smile:
Kath
Hey @Mena1005 & @meg0902 !

Great to hear you've applied for Reading and both with such similar courses too!!

I actually have a lot of friends on both the Psychology and Clinical Psychology courses, in varying years, so do ask any questions you have about either one, or about Reading in general.

Good luck with the rest of your studies & application process!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador

Hello,

How flexible is reading with GCSE entry requirements . The course I’m applying to said it needs 6 in English Maths and Science. I have 7’s in all of them and English literature except that I have a 5 in English language.

Is this going to affect my application, or my admission to the interview stage.

Mena
What course are you applying for?: international development
What subjects are you currently studying?: sociology media economics
Predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 8888777664Distinction
What other universities are you applying to?: Warwick Leeds Manchester York
Original post by eviebush12
Happy to say I got a contextual offer yesterday! (13/10/22)
What course are you applying for?: BSc Geography (Human)
What subjects are you currently studying?: Geography, Psychology and Sociology
Predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 999877775
What other universities are you applying to?: Cambridge, Durham, UEA and York
Why Reading?: loved the campus and really enjoyed the open day - it’s isn’t too far from where I live either
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Sutton Trust Summer school (lectures, workshops) , MOOC on sustainable development goals, workshop on energy resources, visiting Iceland in 2019.

Ohh similar to my course then :smile: congrats!! What’s ur snap x
Original post by Mena1005
Hello,

How flexible is reading with GCSE entry requirements . The course I’m applying to said it needs 6 in English Maths and Science. I have 7’s in all of them and English literature except that I have a 5 in English language.

Is this going to affect my application, or my admission to the interview stage.

Mena

Hi Mena,
Here at Reading we do our best to assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and for that reason we often offer contextual offers. This means if your circumstances or application meet our criteria, you could receive an offer with a grade drop. If you’d like to learn more about it, you can contact our admissions teams at [email protected].

If you have any more questions please let us know!
hi everyone~
what course are you applying for?: english language and linguistics
what subjects are you currently studying?: english language , geography , it
predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 9998887776
what other universities are you applying to?: warwick , KCL , southampton , bristol uwe

i got an offer!! within a few days of applying. the offer is for bcc, when their entry requirements are bbb. considering my predicted grades, this is really low! im not sure if its low course popularity or maybe they were impressed with my application but either way i am happy~
Original post by leebles
hi everyone~
what course are you applying for?: english language and linguistics
what subjects are you currently studying?: english language , geography , it
predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 9998887776
what other universities are you applying to?: warwick , KCL , southampton , bristol uwe

i got an offer!! within a few days of applying. the offer is for bcc, when their entry requirements are bbb. considering my predicted grades, this is really low! im not sure if its low course popularity or maybe they were impressed with my application but either way i am happy~

Hey @leebles

Congratulations, we're so pleased you're excited and happy with your offer!

We look at everyone's application in detail and make offers based on the details you've told us. You can see more information about how those decisions are made here : https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/what-offer-will-i-get

Our English Language and Linguistics department is medium size which means you get to study lots of exciting modules, but also means we really get to know everyone on the course and that starts with our offer making! We hope to see you soon and that you visit the campus if you haven't managed to yet. It may be beneficial for you to chat to Brooke too, who studies English as part of her degree - she may be able to give you more of an insight into what studying in this school would be like in Reading!

Hope this helps, but let us know if you have any questions.

Hey @ali_1564!

Great to hear that you've applied to Reading and we're so glad you like the campus! That is one of my favourite things about studying here too if I'm honest - especially during the pandemic, it was such a blessing to have such open spaces and greenery to walk round!

If you have any questions about life in Reading or anything, please let us know!
Good luck with the rest of your studies / application process.

Hi Skye! I absolutely love the campus - especially the Harris Garden!

Just wanted to say I got my conditional offer from UoR and considering to firm it once all my other responses come through :smile:

Guys, if any of you have any questions about your course, just DM someone on Unibuddy about it! I DM’d someone who is study chemistry at UoR and she was super detailed with her response (which came in v. quick too)
Original post by ali_1564
Hi Skye! I absolutely love the campus - especially the Harris Garden!

Just wanted to say I got my conditional offer from UoR and considering to firm it once all my other responses come through :smile:

Guys, if any of you have any questions about your course, just DM someone on Unibuddy about it! I DM’d someone who is study chemistry at UoR and she was super detailed with her response (which came in v. quick too)

Hey @ali_1564!

Ah, the Harris Garden - a hidden treasure, everyone's favourite haha! So glad you liked the campus - that's really important.

Huge congratulations on your offer, that's such great news! If you have any questions about anything while you're waiting for your other responses, do let us know.

Absolutely agree with what you've said about Unibuddy. This is a great way to direct message current students doing your specific course at Reading to get a detailed insight into what it really is like to study at Reading. Thanks for adding this Ali!

Good luck with the rest of your responses!

Good afternoon am really concerned with my application I meet the Alevel predicted grade with abb for pharmacology with industry but GCSEs grades I need is a 6 and I got a 5 would I get automatically rejected
Original post by laraaaaaaa.ox
Good afternoon am really concerned with my application I meet the Alevel predicted grade with abb for pharmacology with industry but GCSEs grades I need is a 6 and I got a 5 would I get automatically rejected

Hey @laraaaaaaa.ox!

As a university, Reading really tries to accommodate for all situations and tries to take into account all factors so don't worry at all!
I'd definitely advise you to get in touch with the admissions team if you're worried about this though. as they'll be able to give you more guidance. You can contact them via: [email protected] / +44 (0) 118 378 8372

Hope this helps, but try not to stress about it - they will have a thorough look at the rest of your application don't worry!
Let us know if you have any other questions or worries though and we will try to help where we can!

Sent off my UCAS application a while ago. I've chosen to study history and I have applied for Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick, Reading and Liverpool. I've already received offers from Birmingham and Nottingham. Might sound like a silly question but does Reading do offer holder days for prospective undergraduate students?

I applied to reading as I had a look at the history modules and they seem interesting and my history teacher studied there as well.
Original post by Anonymous
Sent off my UCAS application a while ago. I've chosen to study history and I have applied for Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick, Reading and Liverpool. I've already received offers from Birmingham and Nottingham. Might sound like a silly question but does Reading do offer holder days for prospective undergraduate students?

I applied to reading as I had a look at the history modules and they seem interesting and my history teacher studied there as well.

Daughter said she was contacted for an offer holders day (zoology). Shes just firmed Reading today :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Hey @Anonymous

Congratulations on your offers so far, and it's so exciting that you've chosen Reading as one of your other options! We are wishing you the best of luck as you wait for the rest of your responses, including from UoR.

We do indeed hold what we call 'Visit Days' for prospective students, and those who receive an offer will then be invited to one of these days. So, if you do receive an offer from us, keep an eye on your inbox, as there should be an invite to an offer holder visit day to follow in the few weeks following. You can find out more here.

If you have any questions about Reading or anything at all, do ask us. Good luck for the rest of your application process!

Hey @Anonymous

Congratulations on your offers so far, and it's so exciting that you've chosen Reading as one of your other options! We are wishing you the best of luck as you wait for the rest of your responses, including from UoR.

We do indeed hold what we call 'Visit Days' for prospective students, and those who receive an offer will then be invited to one of these days. So, if you do receive an offer from us, keep an eye on your inbox, as there should be an invite to an offer holder visit day to follow in the few weeks following. You can find out more here.

If you have any questions about Reading or anything at all, do ask us. Good luck for the rest of your application process!

Thank you! I accidentally posted anonymously but I will definitely let you know whether I got an offer or not from Reading
Daughter said she was contacted for an offer holders day (zoology). Shes just firmed Reading today :smile:

We're so glad to hear she's firmed Reading! Best of luck with the rest of her studies and we're looking forward to welcoming her in September
Kath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending