The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Official University of Reading 2023 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,
Just a quick message to say thanks for all your great questions so far, it's been lovely to chat with you all!
The University of Reading will be closed between Thursday 22nd December until Tuesday 3rd January, so we will be taking a short break from monitoring the Student Room during this time, but we're looking forward to chatting with you all some more in 2023!
Please feel free to leave any questions or responses below or through DM, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Happy holidays, however you celebrate!
Kath, Skye & Lottie :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
What course are you applying for?: Geography (Human and Physical) with Professional Experience (recieved an offer 03/11/22)
What subjects are you currently studying?: Geography, English Lit, Drama
Predicted A level grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 9999999888
What other universities are you applying to?: Sheffield, Birmingham, Durham and Exeter
Why Reading?: I really like campus unis and I think this is the best I've seen, and for me its location is pretty ideal. At the minute I'm just waiting for Exeter to respond so that I can put Reading as my firm choice!
I just got my offer to study history at Reading!
I just received a contextual offer to study history a few minutes ago!
Original post by Anonymous
I just got my offer to study history at Reading!

Original post by Tosin77
I just received a contextual offer to study history a few minutes ago!

Hi both!

Congratulations on your offers - we're so excited for you!

Let us know if there's anything you want to know about the university or life in Reading in general!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Hi, I deferred my offer from 2022 to 2023. I'm going to study English Literature :smile:

My A Levels were ABD in English Literature, Biology and Chemistry, respectively
My GCSEs were 988888877

I really love the course, the modules cover all of my interests within English and also some of my wider, more STEM based interests (as optional modules, such as the climate change module) which I really love! I also love the fact that Reading is a town and not a city, but still has the hustle and bustle of city life!
Original post by Mena1005
Hey I’m Mena
I’m applying to Msci Applied psychology (clinical)
A level predicted grades: A (psychology), A politics, B (biology) A (EPQ)
GCSE grades: 9,8,77,7,7,6,5,4
Applying to reading because they are one of the only 2 universities in England that do this specific course, other is Exeter. But exeter is too far. I’m from London BTW.

Hi Mena Im applying for this course too did you get an interview/offer yet?
Hey @Wallflower011 & @kasmith123456

Great to hear that you've applied/ are applying to Reading!

If there's anything at all we can help with in terms of questions or worries, please let us know and we'll do our best to answer.

Good luck with the rest of the year!

Reply 48
has anyone got an offer for international business management?
Hi, I'm planning to join University of reading for BSC finance (fintech). Which companies do they usually liaise with during placements? Is it safe to stay outside campus? How far is it from city areas like markets and restaurants?
Is it safe to stay outside the campus? Is the neighbourhood safe?

Original post by UniofReading
Welcome everyone! Thanks @Ghostlady for starting this off!

Please give us a shout if you have any questions about the University of Reading, a specific course, or life at Reading in general, and we will be happy to help :smile: Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Lottie
GRTUK and University of Reading alumna
Original post by SimSing
Hi, I'm planning to join University of reading for BSC finance (fintech). Which companies do they usually liaise with during placements? Is it safe to stay outside campus? How far is it from city areas like markets and restaurants?

Hey @SimSing

Great that you're hoping to join us at Reading!
Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure of all the companies we liaise with for placements in this field as it's not my area of expertise, however I believe you will get the chance to liaise with companies of your choice as you will be the main person involved in organising your placement for this course, unlike other courses. As Henley Business School is a renowned school for this subject, and ranked in the top ten in the UK, many of the UK's leading companies are often seen to be working with our students. Being so close to London as well, you have the best access to the most influential financial companies in the UK and the opportunity to start building your own relationships within them. For more specific information about placements for this course though, please do see the school website.

It certainly is safe to stay off campus and many students do this every year. I currently live off campus, as do most students after their first year, along with a number of first year students too as different people have different preferences. One of my current housemates lived off campus even in her first year for example, and even though she found this slightly more difficult in terms of not being in the centre of 'student life' where her friends were, she says she felt safe and wouldn't say it impacted her experience at all. Living off campus myself now, I would say there's typical 'student areas' where most students off campus tend to live, which helps making you feel more integrated into student life, and everything on campus is still within walking distance which is great, but I'm also slightly closer to town etc. this way and have a life outside of the 'student bubble' if that makes sense? As on campus, you are in the university bubble all the time. But both are great options - are you thinking of staying off campus then?

Whiteknights campus (where your school is) is only around a 15/20 minute bus ride to town from all points of campus, and there are frequent buses that make it super easy to get to. The town has a wide range of shops and restaurants to choose from, and then you are right next to the train station there, where you can go to other cities like London, for a change of scenery and different version of 'city' life if you wanted - London is just a 25 minute train ride!

Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please let us know!
I got an offer yesterday and its my top choice :biggrin:

I picked biomedical science with professional experience and I'm currently doing an access to HE course in science. I've also applied to surrey, Kingston, Hertfordshire, Westminster. I heard great things about this university. :smile:
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
I got an offer yesterday and its my top choice :biggrin:

I picked biomedical science with professional experience and I'm currently doing an access to HE course in science. I've also applied to surrey, Kingston, Hertfordshire, Westminster. I heard great things about this university. :smile:

Hey @Brrrrrrrrrr6!

Congratulations! Super exciting - we are so pleased for you:smile:

If you have any questions about Reading or anything, please let us know!

Good luck with the rest of the year and we'll hopefully see you in Sept!

Reply 54
Got an offer a few days ago from reading and im super duper happy as it was one of my top choices!!!

Only problem is that Ive emailed them regarding fee issues, however they still havent responded :frown: does anyone know how long they usually take to respond to emails?

thank youuuu, good luck everyone!!
Original post by amia12
Got an offer a few days ago from reading and im super duper happy as it was one of my top choices!!!

Only problem is that Ive emailed them regarding fee issues, however they still havent respo-nded :frown: does anyone know how long they usually take to respond to emails?

thank youuuu, good luck everyone!!

Hey @amia12

Congratulations on your offer - that's such great news!

Sorry to hear you haven't had a response yet - when did you email? There are a high volume of emails at the moment due to applications and other queries, so things may take a little longer than we'd hope but thank you for your patience.
It make be best to try contacting them by phone if you haven't heard back in the next few days. You can call +44 (0) 118 378 8372 and they will be happy to answer your questions/ direct you to the best person who can.

Hope this helps & you get through soon! Sorry for the wait!!

What course are you applying for?: BSc Real Estate
What subjects are you currently studying?: A level Business, English Language and Literature, Product Design
Predicted A level grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 9999998887
What other universities are you applying to?: Uni of Manchester, Nottingham Trent, UCL.
Why Reading?: best for course… I think… I hope lol.
Reply 57
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @amia12

Congratulations on your offer - that's such great news!

Sorry to hear you haven't had a response yet - when did you email? There are a high volume of emails at the moment due to applications and other queries, so things may take a little longer than we'd hope but thank you for your patience.
It make be best to try contacting them by phone if you haven't heard back in the next few days. You can call +44 (0) 118 378 8372 and they will be happy to answer your questions/ direct you to the best person who can.

Hope this helps & you get through soon! Sorry for the wait!!

Perfect, thank you so much! I emailed about a week ago so l will try giving the number a call today. <3
Hey everyone!

It's about time that we let you all know about our upcoming visit days on Saturday 18 February, Saturday 4 March and Saturday 18 March. These events are subject-specific and aimed at our offer holders on non-interview courses, organised by your department of study, so different from our Open Days which give you a more generalized experience of Reading as a whole. We would encourage all our applicants to try and come along to one they’re a great chance to get a feel for what it will actually be like a student in your department, meet fellow applicants, talk to current staff and students about their experiences, and explore our campus & study spaces for yourself. I attended one myself before I came to Reading, and found it really helpful to receive personal advice about module and accommodation choices as well as get to know staff members I would be learning from!

Emails should be circulating about these soon, so keep an eye out :smile:

As always, we’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you have as best we can!

Wishing you a lovely week,
Kath :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate
(edited 1 year ago)
Accommdation portal is open to anyone who has firmed. minimum of five choices you have to do if anyone wants to know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending