The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Official University of Reading 2023 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi, is it best to apply for accommodation as soon as possible? I was ideally hoping to accept my offers after I've been to applicant days for Sussex and Reading (I'm in love with Reading but I'm the most indescisive person on Earth and the student satisfaction survey for my course worries me a bit). Should I firm Reading now or will I be okay if I wait a week or so longer after I've been to at least the Sussex applicant day which is this Saturday?
Original post by Ghostlady
Accommdation portal is open to anyone who has firmed. minimum of five choices you have to do if anyone wants to know
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Melodyxs
Hi, is it best to apply for accommodation as soon as possible? I was ideally hoping to accept my offers after I've been to applicant days for Sussex and Reading (I'm in love with Reading but I'm the most indescisive person on Earth and the student satisfaction survey for my course worries me a bit). Should I firm Reading now or will I be okay if I wait a week or so longer after I've been to at least the Sussex applicant day which is this Saturday?

100% wait until this saturday. you want to be certain and sure before making a decision as to where you want to study. Daughter was same with Reading and Chester. She took a few weeks before making her first and second choice, and visited them both twice during open days/day visits for a walk around.
Hey Everyone!

Just a little note to say that we are really sorry if it seems like it is taking a while for us to respond to your application.
We have received a huge surge in applications at the moment and as a result, it is taking longer than normal to process all the applications - but rest assured, our applications team are working extremely hard to make sure all are replied to.

So, it is totally normal to have not yet received a response from us - please don't worry. We will get to your application as soon as we can. We appreciate that this is an extremely anxious time for you as you wait for your responses, so please accept our apologies for the delay and thank you so much for your patience!

If you have any questions or queries in the meantime though, please do let us know!

Good luck to you all with your applications!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello everyone
Just wanted to see who had a confirmed place at Reading University for the Msc programme starting in September 2023 :smile:
Original post by s_rutter97
Hello everyone
Just wanted to see who had a confirmed place at Reading University for the Msc programme starting in September 2023 :smile:

Hello @s_rutter97! Congratulations! If you have any questions about Reading , please don`t hesitate to ask!

Congrats again!
Owain :smile:
2nd year mathematics and economics student
Hi, I am an international student applying for BA Economics with international foundation year at Reading.Is the foundation year in Reading hard and is foundation year student(both home and international)rare in Reading (as most of the student starts with their degree first year)?
Hi.
We are going to the offer holder day on Saturday 18th Feb but have had no information through at all about session times etc except to say it starts at 9.45 and ends at 2pm, and confirmation that we have a place on the offer holder day. Is there a schedule to show what events are taking place and where at what times? How do we access that schedule? I have had a look through me@reading but can't find any information about the offer holder days. It said an email would be sent closer to the day but its only 3 days away now and we've heard nothing.
Thanks

Original post by UniofReading
Welcome everyone! Thanks @Ghostlady for starting this off!

Please give us a shout if you have any questions about the University of Reading, a specific course, or life at Reading in general, and we will be happy to help :smile: Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Lottie
GRTUK and University of Reading alumna
Original post by cuddly kittens
Hi.
We are going to the offer holder day on Saturday 18th Feb but have had no information through at all about session times etc except to say it starts at 9.45 and ends at 2pm, and confirmation that we have a place on the offer holder day. Is there a schedule to show what events are taking place and where at what times? How do we access that schedule? I have had a look through me@reading but can't find any information about the offer holder days. It said an email would be sent closer to the day but its only 3 days away now and we've heard nothing.
Thanks

I am going with my son on Saturday. He was emailed a full time table by the geography department and it seems very subject specific. We have to arrive at the Chancellors building by 9.45 to register so I would go there if you don't receive any further info. Hope it goes well!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am an international student applying for BA Economics with international foundation year at Reading.Is the foundation year in Reading hard and is foundation year student(both home and international)rare in Reading (as most of the student starts with their degree first year)?

Hello!
It is a very common thing to do! A few of my friends have done a foundation year and they absolutely loved it! In terms of whether it is hard , it is meant to challenge you (as with all aspects of uni) but it is designed to support your learning , structured specifically to ensure you have the breadth of knowledge required to go into first year.
Hopefully this has helped! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

2nd year Mathematics and Economics student
Original post by cuddly kittens
Hi.
Thanks

Hello @cuddly kittens!
Sorry to hear that you haven't heard anything yet! It is best that you directly contact the visit day team at [email protected] , they will be able to help/provide further information about the day.
Please let us know if you have any other questions but looking forward to seeing you on our campus saturday!
Hello!
It is a very common thing to do! A few of my friends have done a foundation year and they absolutely loved it! In terms of whether it is hard , it is meant to challenge you (as with all aspects of uni) but it is designed to support your learning , structured specifically to ensure you have the breadth of knowledge required to go into first year.
Hopefully this has helped! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you for such a helpful reply. I didn’t notice that I posted anonymously. It has been 3 year since my A level at a local college, so I opt for economics degree with foundation year and received offer from Swansea, Reading and Kent . I wasn’t doing very well in A level(especially in Math)back then additionally I have been out of study for 3 years thus it worries me a lot regarding the foundation year. Then a deferred offer from Swansea to a first year entry makes me think that it is uncommon to have a foundation year.I am considering to make Reading my firm choice, should I apply my accommodation as soon as possible as an international student?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Graham26
Thank you for such a helpful reply. I didn’t notice that I posted anonymously. It has been 3 year since my A level at a local college, so I opt for economics degree with foundation year and received offer from Swansea, Reading and Kent . I wasn’t doing very well in A level(especially in Math)back then additionally I have been out of study for 3 years thus it worries me a lot regarding the foundation year. Then a deferred offer from Swansea to a first year entry makes me think that it is uncommon to have a foundation year.I am considering to make Reading my firm choice, should I apply my accommodation as soon as possible as an international student?

Hey @Graham26,
I wouldn't worry about a foundation year - as Owain said, many people do them and they're purely designed to help you gain the knowledge and confidence to complete the course! I made Reading my firm choice when I applied and I'm so glad I did - its been a lovely welcoming and supportive environment to study in over my degree and I'm sure you'll feel the same if you choose us. I would definitely recommend applying as soon as you can to ensure guaranteed accommodation - bare in mind you must have accepted Reading as your firm choice of University to do so! Emails on the subject will come from the email address '[email protected]' so make sure its in your safe sender list!!

If you have any other questions about the application process or anything else about Reading, don't hesitate to ask!
Kath :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate
Reply 72
Hi, Daughter has applied for Ecology/Wildlife Conservation and is currently torn between Reading and Lancaster. We had an offer holder day at Lancaster last weekend which went really well and will be at Readings on the 4th Mar (the 18th Feb one got cancelled for us). The Reading site is lovely but I am a little concerned that it is too spread out and therefore issues around safety when walking around after dark? Also can anyone tell me if there are any issues in getting decent accommodation in years 2 onwards in the private sector? I know there is a shortage in some towns/cities. Thanks
Original post by NF73
Hi, Daughter has applied for Ecology/Wildlife Conservation and is currently torn between Reading and Lancaster. We had an offer holder day at Lancaster last weekend which went really well and will be at Readings on the 4th Mar (the 18th Feb one got cancelled for us). The Reading site is lovely but I am a little concerned that it is too spread out and therefore issues around safety when walking around after dark? Also can anyone tell me if there are any issues in getting decent accommodation in years 2 onwards in the private sector? I know there is a shortage in some towns/cities. Thanks

Hi @NF73,

Great questions. Firstly, we are very excited to welcome you on campus in March, and well done to your daughter for getting her applications done - I know that in itself is stressful!
I totally understand your concerns with regards to safety, these were some very similar questions that I remember asking when I came to an open day before I applied too (to which the answers are what comforted me!). Luckily, safety is paramount to the university and therefore there are so many services in place to protect students.
There is a 50+ in-house team which is on hand 24/7 and strives to maintain a safe and secure environment across the University's sites. They provide:
-security patrols,
-surveillance and emergency response for all University property,
-an extensive CCTV network,
-24-hour control room

Campus Watch is a service that operates a lot like you would expect a neighbourhood watch to, with security looking to improve campus community relations and sharing of information.

There is also a chaperone service which is completely free, whereby students, staff and visitors can book security to 'watch over them', meaning if you are ever concerned about getting back safely, security can watch you specifically, walk between destinations until you are where you need to be. I remember this being one of the things that was told to me when I was concerned, and it made me feel so much more at ease - although I have never felt like I've actually needed to use it, but it's good to know it's there!
More extensive information about the security services available at the university can be found here.

From experience, I would say it is surprising how safe I have always felt on campus. It definitely feels like a safe environment when I've been walking through in the dark and is very well lit - which helps! Even though it appears big, I think this is more the case when you are new (as expected) and it quickly becomes less daunting when you get used to it. I think I'd also advise walking in groups if you are concerned, but nothing is majorly far from anything on campus grounds which makes any walk pretty short, which is also a good thing.

In terms of housing, I have never found there to be issues in finding properties personally and have found a house off-campus for 3 years in a row fairly easily, thankfully. But, there are services in place to help you with this if you need to. RUSU have great support available for finding rented accommodation, including a guide. Although the market does fluctuate, there is sufficient housing available in Reading!

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck with her decisions and studies!

Reply 74
Hi @NF73,

Great questions. Firstly, we are very excited to welcome you on campus in March, and well done to your daughter for getting her applications done - I know that in itself is stressful!
I totally understand your concerns with regards to safety, these were some very similar questions that I remember asking when I came to an open day before I applied too (to which the answers are what comforted me!). Luckily, safety is paramount to the university and therefore there are so many services in place to protect students.
There is a 50+ in-house team which is on hand 24/7 and strives to maintain a safe and secure environment across the University's sites. They provide:
-security patrols,
-surveillance and emergency response for all University property,
-an extensive CCTV network,
-24-hour control room

Campus Watch is a service that operates a lot like you would expect a neighbourhood watch to, with security looking to improve campus community relations and sharing of information.

There is also a chaperone service which is completely free, whereby students, staff and visitors can book security to 'watch over them', meaning if you are ever concerned about getting back safely, security can watch you specifically, walk between destinations until you are where you need to be. I remember this being one of the things that was told to me when I was concerned, and it made me feel so much more at ease - although I have never felt like I've actually needed to use it, but it's good to know it's there!
More extensive information about the security services available at the university can be found here.

From experience, I would say it is surprising how safe I have always felt on campus. It definitely feels like a safe environment when I've been walking through in the dark and is very well lit - which helps! Even though it appears big, I think this is more the case when you are new (as expected) and it quickly becomes less daunting when you get used to it. I think I'd also advise walking in groups if you are concerned, but nothing is majorly far from anything on campus grounds which makes any walk pretty short, which is also a good thing.

In terms of housing, I have never found there to be issues in finding properties personally and have found a house off-campus for 3 years in a row fairly easily, thankfully. But, there are services in place to help you with this if you need to. RUSU have great support available for finding rented accommodation, including a guide. Although the market does fluctuate, there is sufficient housing available in Reading!

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck with her decisions and studies!

Thank you for your detailed reply, that is very reassuring.
Hi everyone!

Congratulations again to everyone who has received an offer to study at Reading so far. You may have noticed that you have been invited to a Visit Day, so I thought I would share a bit about what Visit Days actually are and what you can expect when you attend!

Visit days are subject-specific days for prospective students, that are organised by your degree department, and offer you the chance to:
-learn more about your degree programme,
-have any questions answered,
-network with other prospective students and staff members.

On Visit Days, you can take part in taster lectures and seminars and get a feel for what it is like to be a student at the University of Reading. You can ask any questions, as well as to take part in campus and accommodation tours. These differ from Open Days, which you probably have already attended, as the University only invites offer holders.

I really enjoyed my own Visit Day as it gave me the chance to learn more about my course and the wide range of opportunities available, I could get all my last-minute questions answered, and I was also fortunate enough to meet a fellow geography student, who I then luckily recognised on my first day of term. I have sat with her ever since! Therefore, Visit Days are excellent ways to network with students ahead of term starting.

From attending the Visit Day, it enabled me to confirm that Reading was the University for me. This is because I was able to discover what was expected of me, as well as what to expect when I arrived. The Visit Day played a big role in allowing me to transition into university life smoothly and comfortably.

To prepare for the Visit Day, I would highly recommend planning your route to the University, so you don’t miss any sessions, and note down any questions you want answered to make the most out of the day.

If you haven't already booked on a Visit Day, this year’s Visit Day dates for 2023/4 entry are:
-Saturday 4 March (campus)
-Saturday 18 March (campus)
-Tuesday 7 April (virtual)

To book on to a day, visit the RISIS Portal and select 'Applications' from the top bar and then 'Visits and Interview Days'.
Let us know if you have any questions, and which Visit Day you’ll be attending!

Imogen
BSc Geography and Economics (Regional Science) with Professional Experience
Hi, I have a question about living cost at Reading.Since the meal plan only covers for 31 weeks, for those who choose 51 week long accommodation contracts with meal plan, how much will the food costs per week on weeks that are not covered by meal plan?
Original post by Graham26
Hi, I have a question about living cost at Reading.Since the meal plan only covers for 31 weeks, for those who choose 51 week long accommodation contracts with meal plan, how much will the food costs per week on weeks that are not covered by meal plan?

Hello @Graham26 ! Thanks so much for your question! Costs will depend on what you choose to eat. Everyone is different on how much they choose to spend on restaurants and making their own food.
We are lucky in Reading that there are numerous supermarkets around the town. There is also a CO-OP on campus which is really helpful. There will also be some food outlets that will be open outside of term time. You can find out more about the food outlets via this link - https://www.hospitalityuor.co.uk/.
It is very tricky to estimate how much food will cost you weekly, I roughly spend approximately £35 - £45 a week. I tend not to eat out much or have takeaways therefore that's how I roughly spend what I do on food.
So again , it`s hard to say how much food will cost you out of term time because everyone is different but hopefully I have helped.

Please feel free to ask anymore questions ,
Anyone heard back from Speech Therapy Msc?
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone heard back from Speech Therapy Msc?

hey
I have, have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending