The Student Room Group

The Official Year 13 Thread (2022-2023)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethxn.cliffxrd
I'm a med applicant studying chem, bio, french.UCAT 3090 band 2.I really want to put in an oxbridge application but that also would require doing the BMAT, and my driving test is this friday.My current thought process is literally if I pass the driving test, I sit the BMAT entrance exam.I've started this year feeling very disorganised in comparison to last year, but we will see how it goes!!

Omg I have my ucat tmrw and I’m doing so bad especially on VR all I do is guess cuz I can’t seem to understand anything and retain tht info in the time limit. In DM I’m struggling with the long syllogism and in QR with time management. I also keep getotkg band 3/4 in SJT😭😭
I’m so stressed do u have any tips please???
thank youuuuu I’ll really appreciate it
Reply 41
Original post by paigelizabeth1
1). Law, and Sociology in a year.2). I love Law! Completely new to sociology so any advice would be appreciated so much.3). Not doing EPQ.4). After A-Levels I want to get an apprenticeship.5). I have a thing for putting too much pressure on myself so I would love to get an A in Law and A in Sociology. However, I am not going to put any unnecessary pressure on myself, so I would be ok with B's if it gets me where I want to be [entry requirements].6). I am so excited but really nervous to meet new people and to be able to manage both life and college.

I do sociology and tbh the thing that helped me the most in the first year was learning sociologist names and their idea once i learnt every one i could write an essay on anything. The key is to learn their main ideas for your point then put the extension of that for analysis/explanation and then your example is your imagination and criticisms and link comes based on the opposite sociologist you've learnt e.g criticising functionalist with a marxist . After that i suggest doing as many essay as possible and time yourself and plan some instead of writing some to save time, then get your teachers to mark a few so you can use those as a reference. i hope this helps. Also writing the key sociologist with their summarized idea on a word/google doc in a list with them put in their groups like feminist then postmodernists is super helpful to just look through.
is everyboday here 13?
Original post by Datgurl
is everyboday here 13?

yes
Original post by Datgurl
is everyboday here 13?

13 yrs old-no
Year 13(17-18)-yes
okay what do u talk bout on here
Original post by bismah_ahmed02
Omg I have my ucat tmrw and I’m doing so bad especially on VR all I do is guess cuz I can’t seem to understand anything and retain tht info in the time limit. In DM I’m struggling with the long syllogism and in QR with time management. I also keep getotkg band 3/4 in SJT😭😭
I’m so stressed do u have any tips please???
thank youuuuu I’ll really appreciate it

Hi there,

I hope your UCAT went well! Fingers crossed for you :suith:. If you didn't get a score that you wanted, there are still ways around it by applying to unis that focus less on the UCAT and more on things like interviews, so please don't feel disheartened if that's the case :redface:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by Ethxn.cliffxrd
I'm a med applicant studying chem, bio, french.UCAT 3090 band 2.I really want to put in an oxbridge application but that also would require doing the BMAT, and my driving test is this friday.My current thought process is literally if I pass the driving test, I sit the BMAT entrance exam.I've started this year feeling very disorganised in comparison to last year, but we will see how it goes!!

Hiya there,

First of all, congrats on a fab UCAT score! So after your driving test, you still have basically a month to revise for the BMAT - have you done some prep already? :u: Lmk if you haven't and if you're looking for extra tips! It's so easy to feel disorganised in Year 13, especially at the start if you're applying for medicine as you've got hurdle after hurdle of things that you need to get done well. I remember it was a challenging time for me, but it only lasts a few months and hopefully by the end of it you'll end up with some offers, and it will all have been worth it :h:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hey everyone!

🌸We are officially halfway through our A Levels (or equivalent). For some, this will be the final year of education. So, it’s pretty exciting!!🌸

💚We have all come so far💚

🌟This is a judgemental-free, positive space. You can dump your worries here, bond with other year 13s, share your revision plans, motivate each other etc!🌟

🦋This year is going to be a very busy year, but I know we can smash it! :smile:🦋

☃️Here are some icebreaker questions☃️

1) Which subjects are you taking?
2) Are you enjoying them?
3) If you are doing/have done an EPQ, what topic is on?
4) What are your plans for after A Levels?
5) What do you personally want to achieve?
6) How are you feeling about year 13?

Hi! I’m taking A Levels in chemistry, biology and maths.

I did the EPQ last year - it was about antibiotic resistance in agriculture
Post-A Levels I am planning on applying to study veterinary medicine at university (back-up is bio vet)
I really want to get decent grades and get into uni
Everything about UCAS and personal statements is really stressful, but I’m feeling ready to tackle the year ahead
Original post by teddybear4444h
Try Explore Learning-they only require GCSE’s-it’s maths and English for 5-14yr olds-outside of London they pay £6.25 p/h for 17yr olds I don’t know what it is for 18yr olds

Homework buddy club is free and u just have to sign up. You can make your own rates.
Original post by pepperstalk
Homework buddy club is free and u just have to sign up. You can make your own rates.

Explore learning is free too
Original post by paigelizabeth1
1). Law, and Sociology in a year.2). I love Law! Completely new to sociology so any advice would be appreciated so much.3). Not doing EPQ.4). After A-Levels I want to get an apprenticeship.5). I have a thing for putting too much pressure on myself so I would love to get an A in Law and A in Sociology. However, I am not going to put any unnecessary pressure on myself, so I would be ok with B's if it gets me where I want to be [entry requirements].6). I am so excited but really nervous to meet new people and to be able to manage both life and college.

Im doing sociology in one year too! How are you finding it? Ive already done law and i loved that
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hey everyone!

🌸We are officially halfway through our A Levels (or equivalent). For some, this will be the final year of education. So, it’s pretty exciting!!🌸

💚We have all come so far💚

🌟This is a judgemental-free, positive space. You can dump your worries here, bond with other year 13s, share your revision plans, motivate each other etc!🌟

🦋This year is going to be a very busy year, but I know we can smash it! :smile:🦋

☃️Here are some icebreaker questions☃️

1) Which subjects are you taking?
2) Are you enjoying them?
3) If you are doing/have done an EPQ, what topic is on?
4) What are your plans for after A Levels?
5) What do you personally want to achieve?
6) How are you feeling about year 13?

1. I'm taking sociology, law and media studies, took criminology in y12 but took the 1st yr qualification and dropped it because i had basically no frees
2. I mostly enjoy everything but not enjoying having to do media coursework, literally the least creative person ever
3. Not doing an epq
4. Want to go to uni to do criminology
5. Just want to pass everything tbh
6. Bit nervous, forgot everything from y12 already
Anyone here's applying to the ucas 15 Oct deadline?
Original post by Bookworm524

I am. Have to hand it all in to school by the 30th though, which is very quickly creeping up on me 😬😱
Original post by Infinxty09
I am. Have to hand it all in to school by the 30th though, which is very quickly creeping up on me 😬😱

your school has given you so much time! i had to give mine in last friday :frown:
Original post by Bookworm524

Yep, I do, and I still haven’t chosen a 5th choice yet!
Original post by cherryblossomed
your school has given you so much time! i had to give mine in last friday :frown:

what and where have u applied for?
Original post by cherryblossomed

Wow that’s really early! At least it’s out of the way though 😊
Original post by Squiggles1238
Im doing sociology in one year too! How are you finding it? Ive already done law and i loved that

I'm so glad I'm not alone :smile:! I am really enjoying the content, however it is confusing learning core and crime at the same time! I feel like I can apply bits of crime to the core bit and then when the class goes through answers it does not even include what I have said...

How are you finding it?

Quick Reply

Latest