The Student Room Group

Don't know what to Choose for University

I'm on a gap year. I'm interested in the technology industry and want to do Computer Science. The only other industry that seems attractive to me would be finance but I'd rather go with Computer Science just so I have that door open to technology.

I achieved grades ABC. The best options I have right now is to do Computer Science at City University of London or do a foundation year for Physics at QMUL (As it's stem it would let me do technology to). I don't know what to do. I like learning Physics and I have heard that it's not extremely hard to get a 2:1 from people I know who have done a Physics degree there. With City University I went there and I'll be honest it's very depressing aesthetically and it takes me 40 minutes on the train whereas QMUL is where I wanted to go as it's 5 minutes away and I know that area.

I could also retake my a levels and try and get 2 As so I could do Computer Science at QMUL as their entry requirements are AAA. Just can't stop thinking about it need help.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm on a gap year. I'm interested in the technology industry and want to do Computer Science. The only other industry that seems attractive to me would be finance but I'd rather go with Computer Science just so I have that door open to technology.

I achieved grades ABC. The best options I have right now is to do Computer Science at City University of London or do a foundation year for Physics at QMUL (As it's stem it would let me do technology to). I don't know what to do. I like learning Physics and I have heard that it's not extremely hard to get a 2:1 from people I know who have done a Physics degree there. With City University I went there and I'll be honest it's very depressing aesthetically and it takes me 40 minutes on the train whereas QMUL is where I wanted to go as it's 5 minutes away and I know that area.

I could also retake my a levels and try and get 2 As so I could do Computer Science at QMUL as their entry requirements are AAA. Just can't stop thinking about it need help.

I'm also considering doing an apprenticeship as that might be the answer to all my worries....
Why would you spend about £50k on something you don't really want?
If there isn't a course you want to do and you're not even considering the whole "move away from home" side of university, why go at all?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why would you spend about £50k on something you don't really want?

What are you referring to? My whole thought process of going to University is to get a flexible degree like Computer Science to allow me to go into technology or any other industry. From my research so far I know stem subjects are flexible anyway in the UK as I know physics students who have gone into technology or finance, which makes it worth it to me.

Although, I don't know if doing an apprenticeship would be an easier route for me. I need to have a look about what apprenticeships I would be interested in...
Original post by skylark2
If there isn't a course you want to do and you're not even considering the whole "move away from home" side of university, why go at all?

My whole thought process of going to University is to get a flexible degree like Computer Science to allow me to go into technology or any other industry. From my research so far I know stem subjects are flexible anyway in the UK as I know physics students who have gone into technology or finance, which makes it worth it to me.

Although, I don't know if doing an apprenticeship would be an easier route for me. I need to have a look about what apprenticeships I would be interested in...

(I know this is the same response as the other one, but I thought this would explain it as well)
What are you referring to? My whole thought process of going to University is to get a flexible degree like Computer Science to allow me to go into technology or any other industry. From my research so far I know stem subjects are flexible anyway in the UK as I know physics students who have gone into technology or finance, which makes it worth it to me.

You seemed to be vacillating between subjects. I was suggesting that you don't pick a degree just because you can get into the course.
If what you want is "to get into technology or similar" then surely there is a cheaper way than a degree you're not really interested in?

If what you want is something much more specific than that where a degree is a requirement - I'm a software engineer in a niche job where a doctorate is so close to a requirement that I have to correct the title people use for me, I know they do exist - then yes, you will need a degree, and you'll need the right degree. If that's the case, best say what it is and people will be able to give you specific advice.
Original post by skylark2
If what you want is "to get into technology or similar" then surely there is a cheaper way than a degree you're not really interested in?

If what you want is something much more specific than that where a degree is a requirement - I'm a software engineer in a niche job where a doctorate is so close to a requirement that I have to correct the title people use for me, I know they do exist - then yes, you will need a degree, and you'll need the right degree. If that's the case, best say what it is and people will be able to give you specific advice.

So yes, what I want is to get into technology.
Reply 9

You can look for foundation year so you can get in easer on computer since major

Quick Reply

Latest