The Student Room Group

CS Supercurriculars

Long story short, I'm intimidated by the whole supercurriculars thing and have no clue where to even start. I've had a look at some MOOCs and they all look terrifying - 8 weeks of 5h a week study on top of me already using every single free period I have for studying?? I can't even do it after I get home because I get home after school at about 18:15 every day exhausted.

Is the whole supercurriculars thing really as completely demanding and time-consuming as it seems? How many of these things do I even need to do? Where do I even start and what options aside from MOOCs are there that will be noticed by universities? I've had a look at CS50 as well - is it worth it?
It is completely up to you how much time you want to put into supercurriculars. In other words, its only as demanding as you choose it to be.

I’d say its a great investment of your time. Computer science is already a competitive course on its own, but investing in yourself is especially important if you are applying to competitive universities.

You don’t have to complete an entire MOOC, or read and entire book just so that you can say you’ve done something outside of the curriculum. Instead, you can read a few chapters or work through a few modules. It still shows you’ve invested time outside of the classroom towards the subject of your interest
You don’t necessarily have to keep up with the MOOC deadlines, you can always go at your own pace. And as I mentioned, you don’t need to finish it entirely

That is why it is only as demanding as you want it to be.
My super curriculars were mostly reading academic books and journal and a couple summer schools i was eligible to go to for free. Super curriculars were a great way for me to find what i really enjoyed about cs (AI and probability) and i found it through reading some introductory texts. Saw something on bayesian reasoning that interested me and now i’m down a rabbit hole researching. It helped a lot w my ps bc i based it on what i was interested in and what i’d read about it. I don’t have time or money for a lot of other things (think MOOCS/ work experience/ paid summer schools) so reading was really good. Once you’ve found smth you enjoy stray away from introductory texts and read undergrad books or academic journals(i’d say just work through a chapter or two bc they’re a hard read). I have some reccomendations if you’re interested, they’ll be focused on AI or quantum computing bc those were my interests but i can try and look through for my general ones if you’d like!

edit: they were helpful because i’ve already received an offer from York which i feel was heavily based on my ps as i doubt i’d have received an offer this early just because of my grades
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by compscistudent_
My super curriculars were mostly reading academic books and journal and a couple summer schools i was eligible to go to for free. Super curriculars were a great way for me to find what i really enjoyed about cs (AI and probability) and i found it through reading some introductory texts. Saw something on bayesian reasoning that interested me and now i’m down a rabbit hole researching. It helped a lot w my ps bc i based it on what i was interested in and what i’d read about it. I don’t have time or money for a lot of other things (think MOOCS/ work experience/ paid summer schools) so reading was really good. Once you’ve found smth you enjoy stray away from introductory texts and read undergrad books or academic journals(i’d say just work through a chapter or two bc they’re a hard read). I have some reccomendations if you’re interested, they’ll be focused on AI or quantum computing bc those were my interests but i can try and look through for my general ones if you’d like!

edit: they were helpful because i’ve already received an offer from York which i feel was heavily based on my ps as i doubt i’d have received an offer this early just because of my grades

york is my dream uni! i'd definitely be interested in some ai-related recommendations. i know that i'm going to apply to some summer schools, and i might leave the really time-consuming stuff for a half-term break or something so it's not taking up every second of my time during the school term.

Original post by DaydreamLagoon
It is completely up to you how much time you want to put into supercurriculars. In other words, its only as demanding as you choose it to be.

I’d say its a great investment of your time. Computer science is already a competitive course on its own, but investing in yourself is especially important if you are applying to competitive universities.

You don’t have to complete an entire MOOC, or read and entire book just so that you can say you’ve done something outside of the curriculum. Instead, you can read a few chapters or work through a few modules. It still shows you’ve invested time outside of the classroom towards the subject of your interest

thanks, this is really helpful. i know that i want to do at least a few really good supercurriculars as my dream uni is york, it's just i was quite intimidated by the length of certain things. i'm thinking that i might leave some mooc-related stuff for a holiday so it's not draining me during term time.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by compscistudent_

What CS summer schools did u do
Original post by Rainyzack
What CS summer schools did u do

I went on the SEREN residential summer school which is for seren students so you can only get in if you're already part of seren in wales. I also went to UNIQ which was really good
Original post by zeasea
york is my dream uni! i'd definitely be interested in some ai-related recommendations. i know that i'm going to apply to some summer schools, and i might leave the really time-consuming stuff for a half-term break or something so it's not taking up every second of my time during the school term.

thanks, this is really helpful. i know that i want to do at least a few really good supercurriculars as my dream uni is york, it's just i was quite intimidated by the length of certain things. i'm thinking that i might leave some mooc-related stuff for a holiday so it's not draining me during term time.

The essence of Artificial Intelligence - Alison Cawsey https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essence-Artificial-Intelligence-Computing/dp/0135717795
Machines that Think - New scientist http://landing.newscientist.com/machines-that-think/ (bought from waterstones)
Mathematics for Machine Learning - Marc Peter Deisenroth, A. Aldo Faisal, Cheng Soo Ong https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-Machine-Learning-Peter-Deisenroth/dp/110845514X/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=1183075411021610&hvadid=73942416205183&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=4139&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=b&hvtargid=kwd-73942354124049%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=24527_2219245&keywords=mathematics+for+machine+learning+by+marc+peter+deisenroth&qid=1670777055&sr=8-1
Understanding Artificial Intelligence - Evlyn Faintes https://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Artificial-Intelligence-Evlyn-Faintes/dp/B092P78QRL

The next books are kinda on ethics and stuff but were really interesting reads
The reasonable robot - Ryan Abbott https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/reasonable-robot/092E62F0087270F1ADD9F62160F23B5A
AI It's nature and future - Margaret A.Boden https://www.amazon.co.uk/AI-nature-future-Margaret-Boden/dp/0198777981

Algorithm puzzle book to help thinking skills
Algorithmic Puzzles - Anany Levitin, Maria Levitin https://www.amazon.co.uk/Algorithmic-Puzzles-Anany-Levitin/dp/0199740445

Free journals on JSTOR are really good but a bit heavy and a lot are full of academic jargon so be careful with them

Also, I ended up putting York down as my insurance because I got a better conditional offer there than my second choice
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending