The Student Room Group

Oxford Rejection Reason

I got rejected from Oxford CS pre-interview but I am unsure why. I had a predicted of 44/45 IB (777 HL), around 60 on MAT 1 and 8/10 on MAT 2, I also finished Calculus by 9th grade officially (supercurricular) and also qualified for math competitions like the AIME. I am fine with the rejection but why do I think I was rejected?
Reply 1
You can request application feedback here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/feedback

You obviously have great scores, but CS is one of the most competitive courses and they have a lot of good applicants. Perhaps there were simply too many other excellent candidates, rather than any failing of yours, or they felt your personal statement was not strong enough.

I'm sorry about your rejection but am sure you will do very well elsewhere!
Reply 2
Original post by elilast
You can request application feedback here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/feedback

You obviously have great scores, but CS is one of the most competitive courses and they have a lot of good applicants. Perhaps there were simply too many other excellent candidates, rather than any failing of yours, or they felt your personal statement was not strong enough.

I'm sorry about your rejection but am sure you will do very well elsewhere!

Thanks for the encouragement! I did request feedback but they usually take till Feb to reply which is so long. My personal statement was filled with supercurriculars though (finishing calc 1 & 2 by grade 9 and getting a max AP calc score by self studying in grade 9, doing calc 3 in uni, doing math competitions like AMC 12, AIME, researching about AI, doing a TED talk on AI which got 12,000+ views, robotics, etc) it seems like personal statement wouldnt be the reason, infact james said on the livestream, they are interviewing "significantly more" so i get that CS is competitive and maybe i wouldnt get an offer but if there have been so many more CS interviews and even then i dont get one, something doesnt feel right
Reply 3
Original post by BearNo21
Thanks for the encouragement! I did request feedback but they usually take till Feb to reply which is so long. My personal statement was filled with supercurriculars though (finishing calc 1 & 2 by grade 9 and getting a max AP calc score by self studying in grade 9, doing calc 3 in uni, doing math competitions like AMC 12, AIME, researching about AI, doing a TED talk on AI which got 12,000+ views, robotics, etc) it seems like personal statement wouldnt be the reason, infact james said on the livestream, they are interviewing "significantly more" so i get that CS is competitive and maybe i wouldnt get an offer but if there have been so many more CS interviews and even then i dont get one, something doesnt feel right

I'm sorry that I can't be more help. I'm a humanities undergrad and not a CS tutor so I don't really know ☹️ I also went to school in the UK so am not familiar with the content of Calculus 1/2/3 - what do you mean by you finished this in uni?

Honestly, it's possibly you were just at a cut-off point e.g. they are only interviewing people with slightly higher MAT scores.

Again, it sounds like you've done a lot of extra work so I'm sure you will thrive at another institution.

Maybe that’s your problem, you filled your personal statement up with talking about super curriculars as opposed to everything else that matters.

Did you talk about why Oxford? Why CS? Wider reading you’ve done around the subject etc?
There's usually a stricter MAT cut off for international students so that's probably it.
https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions_statistics/public_report2021.html
The thin blue line "not shortlisted" in the 61-70 range are mostly internationals.

It's very unlikely to be about your personal statement and you definitely are not expected to say "Why Oxford?" in it like the poster above suggests.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Maybe that’s your problem, you filled your personal statement up with talking about super curriculars as opposed to everything else that matters.

Did you talk about why Oxford? Why CS? Wider reading you’ve done around the subject etc?

they only care about supercurriculars (which would explain why cs) and that's discounting the fact that oxford doesn't really care about the ps for most courses anyway..
Reply 7

Did you just list those or link it to the skills and how they inspired you to study CS?

Are you applying to MIT?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1

You must not talk about any uni in your PS - it goes to all your choices!
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Did you just list those or link it to the skills and how they inspired you to study CS?

Are you applying to MIT?

Yep I didn't mention specific unis since it's sent to all. I linked those to CS also and yes, I am applying to MIT also
Yep I didn't mention specific unis since it's sent to all. I linked those to CS also and yes, I am applying to MIT also

I know of US students who have rejected Oxford places for MIT ...
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
I know of US students who have rejected Oxford places for MIT ...

I would too, infact MIT was always my top choice, Oxford was my third choice, MIT was first and Stanford was second. But the problem is, it is very unlikely I am getting a place at MIT
I would too, infact MIT was always my top choice, Oxford was my third choice, MIT was first and Stanford was second. But the problem is, it is very unlikely I am getting a place at MIT

any news from mit, stanford, and oxofrd?
I got rejected from Oxford CS pre-interview but I am unsure why. I had a predicted of 44/45 IB (777 HL), around 60 on MAT 1 and 8/10 on MAT 2, I also finished Calculus by 9th grade officially (supercurricular) and also qualified for math competitions like the AIME. I am fine with the rejection but why do I think I was rejected?

Next life make sure to be born to a billionaire, royalty, tycoon, leader of industry, child of academic excellency or a celeb and maybe you can join lmao
Original post by Alexbantana
Next life make sure to be born to a billionaire, royalty, tycoon, leader of industry, child of academic excellency or a celeb and maybe you can join lmao

Oxford won't just let you in if you're a celeb, lol. I don't dispute that richer students on the whole have a greater advantage when applying, but that's because coming from a middle/upper class background allows you access to better education, tutoring, free time to work on your application etc. It's not a matter of being offered a place exclusively directly because you/your parents are famous.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous #4
any news from mit, stanford, and oxofrd?

Didn't get MIT and Stanford as expected, I mean I did get an offer from Imperial College London Computer Science but still confused about why I didn't even get an Oxford interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending