The Student Room Group

Suggested A-Levels for Cambridge?

When I was looking at the entry requirements page for Cambridge’s cs course I saw that most successful applicants took physics (85%) and computing (59%) is taking these subjects giving you an extra boost into getting in? Or is it just coincidental and that’d you’d have an equal chance with math fm and other sciences?
Reply 1
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
When I was looking at the entry requirements page for Cambridge’s cs course I saw that most successful applicants took physics (85%) and computing (59%) is taking these subjects giving you an extra boost into getting in? Or is it just coincidental and that’d you’d have an equal chance with math fm and other sciences?

I think you missed one of the subjects....96% of applicants took Further Maths. The combination that most applicants take is Maths, Further Maths and Physics but you should not be at a disadvantage if you took Computer Science or Chemistry over Physics. Maths & Further Maths plus another science is the standard package you should be looking at.
Original post by nutz99
I think you missed one of the subjects....96% of applicants took Further Maths. The combination that most applicants take is Maths, Further Maths and Physics but you should not be at a disadvantage if you took Computer Science or Chemistry over Physics. Maths & Further Maths plus another science is the standard package you should be looking at.

yh i already knew fm was basically an essential so i was already planning with fm and math. Would the combination of Maths, FM, Bio and Chem be as equal as taking physics cs math and fm? [like i wouldn't be disadvantaged]
Reply 3
yh i already knew fm was basically an essential so i was already planning with fm and math. Would the combination of Maths, FM, Bio and Chem be as equal as taking physics cs math and fm? [like i wouldn't be disadvantaged]

You can take any sciences with Maths and Further Maths but I think a high percentage only take Physics because of the Maths element which in theory should give them a good chance of a higher grade. The 3rd or 4th science subject should be the ones that you think you would get the best grades at. You won't be disadvantaged by not taking Physics.
Original post by nutz99
You can take any sciences with Maths and Further Maths but I think a high percentage only take Physics because of the Maths element which in theory should give them a good chance of a higher grade. The 3rd or 4th science subject should be the ones that you think you would get the best grades at. You won't be disadvantaged by not taking Physics.

Really? Alright, I'll see about that then. Although I've heard taking 4 AS at the beginning is a huge struggle.
Reply 5
Really? Alright, I'll see about that then. Although I've heard taking 4 AS at the beginning is a huge struggle.

My son was in pretty much the same position as you. He took Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry and dropped Chemistry after 6 months as the standard of teaching was poor and was impacting his other subjects. He got A*A*A and got interviewed and pooled at Cambridge but not picked up. That was with very little coding experience. So it can be done with just 3 A levels. You could take 4 and drop one if either you're finding it too much or drop one that you are struggling with.

This is the section that is relevant - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/before/choosing-high-school-subjects#:~:text=We%20strongly%20recommend,Mathematics%20Support%20Programme.
Original post by nutz99
My son was in pretty much the same position as you. He took Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry and dropped Chemistry after 6 months as the standard of teaching was poor and was impacting his other subjects. He got A*A*A and got interviewed and pooled at Cambridge but not picked up. That was with very little coding experience. So it can be done with just 3 A levels. You could take 4 and drop one if either you're finding it too much or drop one that you are struggling with.
This is the section that is relevant - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/before/choosing-high-school-subjects#:~:text=We%20strongly%20recommend,Mathematics%20Support%20Programme.

I see thanks a lot! I'm trying to get some good supercurriculars done for both cs and medicine now [Yr 10 :/] so when I get to that stage I don't panic to find work experience/coding skills.
On one hand you can take just 3 subjects and get in but Cambridge does say since maths fm and physics specifically are so similar so it may not proof capability to handle large workloads as the workload is lower due to similarity, though they have that for engineering may apply to other subjects too if you’re taking maths fm and physics.
But for cs you definitely dont need to take physics and since bio or chemistry aren’t as similar you should be fine to take either or both.
I'd highly recommend Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Computer Science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending