The Student Room Group

terrible anxiety in sixth form

I need help, and I'm not quite sure where to begin.

During GCSE's I rarely stressed about studies, and got on well. I finished with 8's and 9's, with nines in all three sciences. Since then, I've decided to do Politics, History and English Literature and I find myself constantly stressing over if I picked the right A-levels, despite enjoying essay subjects the most at GCSE.
I was especially unsure about literature, even doing a week of economics to see if I would like to replace it with English, but eventually finding it too boring. After that, I decided to continue with it, going against my gut feeling, as I couldn't think of a subject to replace it with.

My initial test results have really spiked my anxiety; after getting near the bottom of the class in pretty much all of my initial exams (13/30 for History, a 16/25 in Politics and worst of all; a 10/30 in English - granted, with a different teacher I had an exam where I achieved a B-, which is good). I knew A-levels were going to be hard, and that I should expect not to do well right away, but now I'm doubting myself constantly, and am going through severe anxiety. I had panic attacks, trouble eating and sleeping, and nausea almost constantly. My main fear is that I picked the wrong A-levels, and by now I think changing would do more harm than good. That being said, sciences didn't come naturally, and I only achieved high grades through tuition and hard work.

After having such a high standard at GCSE level, I think the problem is that I'm uncomfortable with not doing well. That being said, I think if I put in the work and did well I would feel better about my choices, but I can't help but feel like doing English was a mistake, as my gut feeling right now it was a bad decision.

I'm not a complete doomer right now, though. It's early on in the year, and I can still improve. I'm hoping the source of my anxiety is simply that I'm not doing well, and so I'm banking on working hard to improve and then that my anxiety will improve. I've been trying breathing exercises and exercising, which have helped temporarily.

Thanks for reading this far, I mostly wanted to write this to compose my thoughts and for a place to vent.
I need help, and am scared my anxiety will only grow worse. Any suggestions, or thoughts appreciated.
Original post by waterenjoyer

During GCSE's I rarely stressed about studies, and got on well. I finished with 8's and 9's, with nines in all three sciences. Since then, I've decided to do Politics, History and English Literature and I find myself constantly stressing over if I picked the right A-levels, despite enjoying essay subjects the most at GCSE.
I was especially unsure about literature, even doing a week of economics to see if I would like to replace it with English, but eventually finding it too boring. After that, I decided to continue with it, going against my gut feeling, as I couldn't think of a subject to replace it with.

My initial test results have really spiked my anxiety; after getting near the bottom of the class in pretty much all of my initial exams (13/30 for History, a 16/25 in Politics and worst of all; a 10/30 in English - granted, with a different teacher I had an exam where I achieved a B-, which is good). I knew A-levels were going to be hard, and that I should expect not to do well right away, but now I'm doubting myself constantly, and am going through severe anxiety. I had panic attacks, trouble eating and sleeping, and nausea almost constantly. My main fear is that I picked the wrong A-levels, and by now I think changing would do more harm than good. That being said, sciences didn't come naturally, and I only achieved high grades through tuition and hard work.

After having such a high standard at GCSE level, I think the problem is that I'm uncomfortable with not doing well. That being said, I think if I put in the work and did well I would feel better about my choices, but I can't help but feel like doing English was a mistake, as my gut feeling right now it was a bad decision.

I'm not a complete doomer right now, though. It's early on in the year, and I can still improve. I'm hoping the source of my anxiety is simply that I'm not doing well, and so I'm banking on working hard to improve and then that my anxiety will improve. I've been trying breathing exercises and exercising, which have helped temporarily.

Thanks for reading this far, I mostly wanted to write this to compose my thoughts and for a place to vent.
I need help, and am scared my anxiety will only grow worse. Any suggestions, or thoughts appreciated.

Hi there,

First of all, please take a deep breath because you're going to be absolutely fine! :redface: Remember that you're right at the start of the year, and you can honestly improve so much this year on your grades, let alone next year too! It's easy to feel disheartened about your grades, but if you got 8s and 9s in GCSE then you're more than capable of getting great grades in sixth form :redface:. So many people improve massively between the start and end of the year, so please don't lose hope! I recommend taking a bit of time to yourself over the next few weeks to indulge in your hobbies and take your mind off the stress of the year :h:. You'll honestly be absolutely fine and will be looking back thinking why did you stress so much - so please, for now take a little break!

Sending virtual hugs :suith:. Lmk if you'd like to have more of a chat about this :u:.

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind

Hi there,
Firstly, well done on your GCSE results, they're great! I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling, the jump from GCSE's to A Levels can be difficult especially the different type of work and harder questions. If your A level choices are affecting you I would recommend speaking to your head of year or school support services to see if they can offer some guidance. Your subject teachers might also be able to offer some guidance for how you can improve.
I would also recommend writing down what is stressing you so that you can conquer them one by one- it may seem less anxiety provoking this way and seem manageable to avoid feeling more anxiety. Have you spoken to any of your peers about how you are feeling, they might be able to help?

Let me know how you get on,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Reply 3

hey! are you feeling better now? a-levels are a stressful time and it's normal to get bad grades sometimes. you should see them as a reminder to work smartly and as a pedestal to setting goals for yourself. if you got a bad mark then now you know what to change in your revision! I used to also be incredibly anxious about my grades in sixth form and had a time period where I had horrible grades, view every lesson as something that can help you achieve the grades you want and find ways to revise smartly and not passively. it's ok to be anxious and worry about it, but if you want to improve then you must find ways to turn that anxiety into a tool to success!! I believe in you and good luck this year!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest