The Student Room Group

Cambridge V St Andrews

Hello,
So I’m a Scottish student applying for economics, my top choices being Cambridge and St Andrews as these are where I could see myself living on open days. (Wasn’t a fan of edin Glasgow and don’t think I can afford LSE). For arguments sake if I get into all 5 would Cambridge be worth the extra 28k debt for tuition?
Doubtful. Unless you are really aiming at a "top" PhD programme (particularly, more theory driven/quantitative ones), or for investment banking/management consulting, you'd probably be just as well off saving yourself the loan and going to a Scottish uni. That said, the "debt" isn't like other debt - it's really a graduate tax in practice. You can read more here about how it differs from other kinds of loans and debt: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/8-things-you-should-know-about-your-student-loan--2
(edited 1 year ago)
It’s not £28k difference. The Cambridge course is a year shorter so that’s 1 year less maintenance loans (plus 1 year extra graduate earnings).
I would choose Cambridge if I were you, as others have said the course is a year shorter which would result in savings. In terms of getting a finance job in London, Cambridge might have a slight edge over St Andrews although both would be considered by the top firms for any kind of finance job and shouldn't limit you in any way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending