The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Advice - Transfer/dropping out etc.

Hello :smile:

I'm looking for some advice regarding changing Universities or a Transfer.
I am currently at St Andrews University, which I know is an incredible uni, in an incredible town. However, being so far away from home and the course structure/taking two subjects alongside my main one has proven not to be for me. Therefore, I'm looking to transfer or change Universities.

I achieved 3 A*'s at A level this year in Psychology, English literature and Criminology (as well as a D in music), and I'm interested in York, Royal Holloway and specifically their integrated masters courses.

I'm considering potentially applying to Cambridge maybe, however I do not think I'd cope well with the stress/modules etc.

Big question is, how do I actually transfer, will I owe the university money and also how much does the prestige of a university matter ?

Thank you!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
1) Your chances of getting a place at another sensible Uni right now are essentially nil.
2) You would therefore have to take a gap year and apply for 2024 entry.
3) Therefore you might as well stick with St Andrews until Christmas - you might even get over the homesickness (yes, thats all it is) and find that its actually okay.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Hey, thank you for your response!

Just curious as to why a chance at getting a place at another sensible uni right now would be nil ? Is it because of how late it is in the term and all? Also, I was thinking about a gap year, don't want to rush any of my decisions etc. Only thing about sticking out St Andrews till Christmas is the fact that I'd owe them quite a bit of money and I'm not sure how this would affect my student finance in the future etc.

Thanks for the help so far :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Alexioje

Just curious as to why a chance at getting a place at another sensible uni right now would be nil ?

Because any competitive Uni will now be full.
Reply 4
Oh yeah sorry, didn't even think of that.
Reply 5

I am currently at St Andrews University, which I know is an incredible uni, in an incredible town. However, being so far away from home and the course structure/taking two subjects alongside my main one has proven not to be for me. Therefore, I'm looking to transfer or change Universities.

I achieved 3 A*'s at A level this year in Psychology, English literature and Criminology (as well as a D in music), and I'm interested in York, Royal Holloway and specifically their integrated masters courses.

I'm considering potentially applying to Cambridge maybe, however I do not think I'd cope well with the stress/modules etc.

Big question is, how do I actually transfer, will I owe the university money and also how much does the prestige of a university matter ?

Thank you!

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/after-you-start/transferring-or-dropping-out-of-university
Reply 6

Thank you!

Though my reply is a bit too late for you, as someone who actually transferred from Cambridge to St Andrews I still want to write a few words. If you want to apply to Cambridge, you have to apply for first year with new students before the Oxbridge UCAS deadline, which is early because of the interview. At Cambridge there were quite a few undergrades coming from another university as I knew. Concerning the stress/modules, it's better to read the course page to see if the subject and modules are suitable for you, while the stress and workload vary quite a bit from course to course.

If you want to transfer to another university, you should check their website to see if they clearly say they do not accept any transfer student. If not, you can email the faculty admission officer or undergrade coordinator (preferrably an academic staff in the faculty rather than general admission) to ask, giving your basic background information and indicating the year and course you wish to transfer into. They might tell you if the course is full or you're welcome to submit application via UCAS or their own system, in that case you are almost there.

Student finance will answer you anything about if you owe them money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending