The Student Room Group

What can I do for my personal statment as someone who wants to study CS?

I want to study Computer Science at Imperial College of London so recently, I've been looking at multiple personal statements of student who received offers from Imperial. The problem is, I've only very recently become interested in CS let alone doing anything outside of taking CS at GCSE and ALevel. I've seen personal statements talking about their experience with cs for example, one student talked about participating in the British Informatics Olympiad, National Cipher Challenge and a summer school allowing them to learn and develop their skills in Haskall. I'm incredibly new in this field and my knowledge doesn't go further than what I've learnt in the classroom so what should I do? Where do I begin? What opportunities are there? I'm very worried about how much I can achieve since I'm currently in Year 12 so I only have a limited amount of time to work on this before I submit applications.
I study comp sci at uni and I think it'd be useful to include:

- any coding experience/ languages you know
- what interest you about coding (things you want to create, research purposes etc)
- any projects you have done
- any other techy stuff you can do (skills like pc building, electronics, or animation things etc)
- mention courses that you've completed that are relevant

At the end of the day, the personal statement would be expressing your enthusiasm for the subject, but overall it's your grades that matter. You can try virtual work experience for computer science/ technology thingies on a website called 'Forage' you get a certificate of completion and it'll be great for a PS and can be put on a CV!

Good Luck!
Original post by Bean_cat
I study comp sci at uni and I think it'd be useful to include:

- any coding experience/ languages you know
- what interest you about coding (things you want to create, research purposes etc)
- any projects you have done
- any other techy stuff you can do (skills like pc building, electronics, or animation things etc)
- mention courses that you've completed that are relevant

At the end of the day, the personal statement would be expressing your enthusiasm for the subject, but overall it's your grades that matter. You can try virtual work experience for computer science/ technology thingies on a website called 'Forage' you get a certificate of completion and it'll be great for a PS and can be put on a CV!

Good Luck!

This!

I only applied to 1 compsci course in the UK (and 4 MechE/Mechatronics courses), so my PS wasn't tailored specifically to it other than a short paragraph at the end. Overall, I definitely think it was my robotics experience that got me the offer, but I also mentioned watching YouTube videos to build my interest - channels such as Computerphile, and watching videos from conventions such as Defcon and BlackHat.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Rena06
I want to study Computer Science at Imperial College of London so recently, I've been looking at multiple personal statements of student who received offers from Imperial. The problem is, I've only very recently become interested in CS let alone doing anything outside of taking CS at GCSE and ALevel. I've seen personal statements talking about their experience with cs for example, one student talked about participating in the British Informatics Olympiad, National Cipher Challenge and a summer school allowing them to learn and develop their skills in Haskall. I'm incredibly new in this field and my knowledge doesn't go further than what I've learnt in the classroom so what should I do? Where do I begin? What opportunities are there? I'm very worried about how much I can achieve since I'm currently in Year 12 so I only have a limited amount of time to work on this before I submit applications.

The degree at Imperial is called Computing not Computer Science. Understanding the difference will improve your PS.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/

You don’t need coding experience but enthusiasm and good logic/problem solving skills and solid maths knowledge and ability are key - especially to doing well on the imperial admissions test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending