The Student Room Group

Computing science for GCSE

Hi everyone,

Can someone advise me, please? I like computing science. Not sure how it will be at GCSE level and a good choice. I'm good at maths. Any particular skills or tips to get good grades? thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by SanAnn
Hi everyone,

Can someone advise me, please? I like computing science. Not sure how it will be at GCSE level and a good choice. I'm good at maths. Any particular skills or tips to get good grades? thanks in advance

Hi, im a y11 student who took cs gcse
if ur doing the ocr spec ( iassume so) it will be fine, cs spec is actually relatively short and there is not much content to learn, i hardly spend any time revising for cs and am able to get 90+ on both programming and theory paper,

the only real thing that needs to be revised is cpu components and command words in coding,

the theory paper consits of many situations where you have to decide options for people in scenarios (why should X pick A or B) and the important thing for those questions is to relate back to the context of the question where you can.

hardly any maths is needed tbh

i for one did regret taking computer science, and shouldve picked a different subject instead, but this is because I have no intention of studying anything computer related in the future, my teacher is an absolute annoying person (teaches nothing so have to self learn and manage). I wanted to pick d&t but by y10 i thought the best idea was to not switch because i was worried it would mess up my timetable with already good classes and teachers
For all your gcse shortlist choices you can look at the internet for the board you will do and see what kinds of exams and assessments you get. It might help you choose ..: if you want to do computing for a career funnily enough the maths is more important for uni entry. My school did igcse. We had pre release coding project and had to answer questions on it in the exam and handle an update to the spec. There was a fair amount of theory to learn too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending