The Student Room Group

History,CS or Geography GCSE

I’ve picked triple science business photography and need to pick between one of these and interests me most is history most easiest think geography but is so boring and cs I think is difficult it looks btw exambaord a for history is edexcel geog aqa and cs is ocr thanks lmk picking next week options???
I'd say if History interests you most, take history.
Original post by EnigmaChess
I'd say if History interests you most, take history.
Ok thanks
Original post by Brianstudy01
I’ve picked triple science business photography and need to pick between one of these and interests me most is history most easiest think geography but is so boring and cs I think is difficult it looks btw exambaord a for history is edexcel geog aqa and cs is ocr thanks lmk picking next week options???
i chose geography purely because it is very easy compared to cs
Original post by vatsal12345
i chose geography purely because it is very easy compared to cs
But I thought is better to pick the subject you have interest no matter how difficult it is many say as you have interest therefore want to revise and do well compare to easy boring subject which may not wanna revise therefore not do do as well ygm like geography is apparently easy but I find it hard at ks3 and boring I feel like is easier then history but enjoy it way more and cs is difficult geography way easier but boring so I might do history or geography btw is history easier then cs and what other subjects do you do do you know anyone that does all 3 etc wanna know thoughts???
But I thought is better to pick the subject you have interest no matter how difficult it is many say as you have interest therefore want to revise and do well compare to easy boring subject which may not wanna revise therefore not do do as well ygm like geography is apparently easy but I find it hard at ks3 and boring I feel like is easier then history but enjoy it way more and cs is difficult geography way easier but boring so I might do history or geography btw is history easier then cs and what other subjects do you do do you know anyone that does all 3 etc wanna know thoughts???
hey!
I'm currently in year 10, and I do both geography and cs.
I never really liked history during KS3, hence why I picked geography instead as I liked it more during yrs 7-9. However, if history interests you and writing essays is one of your strong points, I'd say definitely pick it, as some parts of geography can be dull (e.g. the stuff about rocks, etc) and if you already find geography boring, it possibly will make you feel unmotivated when it comes to revision (as you said) .
And for cs, idk about other people, but for me specifically I found it hard at the start, but once you know the main concepts it definitely gets a bit easier. But since history interests you the most out of the 3, I'd say go for history :smile:
Original post by infamous.nugget
hey!
I'm currently in year 10, and I do both geography and cs.
I never really liked history during KS3, hence why I picked geography instead as I liked it more during yrs 7-9. However, if history interests you and writing essays is one of your strong points, I'd say definitely pick it, as some parts of geography can be dull (e.g. the stuff about rocks, etc) and if you already find geography boring, it possibly will make you feel unmotivated when it comes to revision (as you said) .
And for cs, idk about other people, but for me specifically I found it hard at the start, but once you know the main concepts it definitely gets a bit easier. But since history interests you the most out of the 3, I'd say go for history :smile:
Is history easier and for you which is easier cs or geography which you getting better grades I am gonna do either history or cs I think geography is easier then both but is so boring and history is interesting and harder but is it harder then cs wanna know that do you know anyone that does both history and cs???
I don't do history so I can't really say much, but from what I've heard, it really depends on the person. I guess if your good at essays (making good points and backing up with strong detail, context, analysis etc) then you should be fine. I think history also has a pretty consistent marking criteria/answer structure but I'm not too sure.
Right now for me geography is easier as it's just learning and memorising key processes and facts. The thing about geography, it's basically just memorising the key content and case studies.
And for computer science, I think its pretty much just knowing the main content (and for coding, just practicing it), which you can build upon. For example, I do AQA computer science, and our school picked python as our programming language. At first I found it hard knowing my way round it, but with a bit of practice, it certainly does get easier.
Sorry idk anyone who does both cs and history :frown:

Currently, I'm getting slightly better on geo than cs, purely because it's just memorising the content as well as using common sense. For cs, idk for ocr, but for aqa, some exam questions require you to write code in pseudocode and python, so if your good at this, you'll be fine on most of cs.

But just to summarise, I think history is mainly based upon source analysis, and geography is just memorising key content and case studies. Also I think some parts of geography is just common sense. But as I said, if you find geography boring, it could make you feel unmotivated to revise for it, plus if your finding history more interesting, it could possibly be a bit easier for you. And for cs, I think its just mainly practice, and knowing the other content. Idk too much about history, so don't fully rely on what I said, but in the end it's your choice of what you pick :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
I don't do history so I can't really say much, but from what I've heard, it really depends on the person. I guess if your good at essays (making good points and backing up with strong detail, context, analysis etc) then you should be fine. I think history also has a pretty consistent marking criteria/answer structure but I'm not too sure.
Right now for me geography is easier as it's just learning and memorising key processes and facts. The thing about geography, it's basically just memorising the key content and case studies.
And for computer science, I think its pretty much just knowing the main content (and for coding, just practicing it), which you can build upon. For example, I do AQA computer science, and our school picked python as our programming language. At first I found it hard knowing my way round it, but with a bit of practice, it certainly does get easier.
Currently, I'm getting slightly better on geo than cs, purely because it's just memorising the content as well as using common sense. For cs, idk for ocr, but for aqa, some exam questions require you to write code in pseudocode and python, so if your good at this, you'll be fine on most of cs.
But just to summarise, I think history is mainly based upon source analysis, and geography is just memorising key content and case studies. Also I think some parts of geography is just common sense. But as I said, if you find geography boring, it could make you feel unmotivated to revise for it, plus if your finding history more interesting, it could possibly be a bit easier for you. And for cs, I think its just mainly practice, and knowing the other content. Idk too much about history, so don't fully rely on what I said, but in the end it's your choice of what you pick :smile:
Did u pick geography bc you enjoyed it at ks3 and do you recommend to someone who hates it and finds it boring rn compare to history which find interesting should I do the interesting and harder apparently one or the apparently easy one that is boring and unmotivated to revise
What other GCSEs do you do too
Did u pick geography bc you enjoyed it at ks3 and do you recommend to someone who hates it and finds it boring rn compare to history which find interesting should I do the interesting and harder apparently one or the apparently easy one that is boring and unmotivated to revise
Yeah, since yr 7, I always preferred geography over history. In yr 7 & 8 I did somewhat ok in geo and really enjoyed it and in year 9, I did really well in geography, which led me to picking it for gcse.
And yh I would recommend choosing it (obviously I'm biased but still). I agree, even some parts of geography in ks3, I found extremely boring but there's also some parts with are a bit more exciting (especially for me, I find human geography wayy more interesting compared to physical geography.
Again, it depends on the person, but right now if your getting better results in geography, you could always experiment with more fun ways of revising geography in the future if you pick it. Plus, I think geography links in with other subjects such as economics and politics, and it also gives you other skills/information which could crop up in everyday life e.g. migration.
Although history is harder, it all depends on how good your essay writing and source analysis skills are. also if your history results are better than geography then defo go for history. Also history has links to other subjects such as politics. (i think it could also be useful if you want to study law).
Overall, I think geography is more useful in everyday life since you learn about world processes, geographical problems and general knowledge through content, as well as case studies.
Plus, you mentioned your also choosing business and photography. Personally, I think geography goes best with them, but its also up to what your thinking about doing in the future. And as other people have said if your enjoying history rn then its probs a safer option to go with it.
Another suggestion is that you could look at the specification for both history and geography for whatever exam board your doing, and see what content you actually learn to see if you'll actually enjoy it or not.
But again it's up to you to decide, and which one you find more convenient.
What other GCSEs do you do too
core subjects:

maths

english lang

english lit

biology

chemistry

physics

rs

options:

food tech

computer science

geography

(we only get to pick 3 options bc rs is compulsory for us :frown: )
Yeah, since yr 7, I always preferred geography over history. In yr 7 & 8 I did somewhat ok in geo and really enjoyed it and in year 9, I did really well in geography, which led me to picking it for gcse.
And yh I would recommend choosing it (obviously I'm biased but still). I agree, even some parts of geography in ks3, I found extremely boring but there's also some parts with are a bit more exciting (especially for me, I find human geography wayy more interesting compared to physical geography.
Again, it depends on the person, but right now if your getting better results in geography, you could always experiment with more fun ways of revising geography in the future if you pick it. Plus, I think geography links in with other subjects such as economics and politics, and it also gives you other skills/information which could crop up in everyday life e.g. migration.
Although history is harder, it all depends on how good your essay writing and source analysis skills are. also if your history results are better than geography then defo go for history. Also history has links to other subjects such as politics. (i think it could also be useful if you want to study law).
Overall, I think geography is more useful in everyday life since you learn about world processes, geographical problems and general knowledge through content, as well as case studies.
Plus, you mentioned your also choosing business and photography. Personally, I think geography goes best with them, but its also up to what your thinking about doing in the future. And as other people have said if your enjoying history rn then its probs a safer option to go with it.
Another suggestion is that you could look at the specification for both history and geography for whatever exam board your doing, and see what content you actually learn to see if you'll actually enjoy it or not.
But again it's up to you to decide, and which one you find more convenient.
Im also thinking cs how hard is it like what grade you getting like do you think if you picked history would be easier
Im also thinking cs how hard is it like what grade you getting like do you think if you picked history would be easier
Well, for me personally the part I found hard at first was the coding, but with a bit of practice you definitely get better at it over time. And the rest of the content isn't that bad, but again depends how good you are at grasping new concepts.
Right now, the current grade I'm working at is apparently a 7 according to my teacher, (but probs would be an 8, if I didn't do as bad on the end of topic programming tests).
If I picked history, for me it would of been sooo hard, mainly bc I never really enjoyed history throughout ks3, and never got good results on tests, so I had never even considered picking history in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest