The Student Room Group

Official 2023 formula one Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admit-One
Williams have announced their new team principal and in a bit of a coup have signed... James Vowles from Mercedes! As noted in the press release, Vowles is now only the third team principal in Williams history, (46 years).

His voice will be familiar to most from Merc's team radio delivering the more serious strategy guidance.

There was some concern that Williams were leaving things very close to the start of the season to make this appointment, (and he's only joining on 20th of Feb), but I I think this is a statement of intent that they are serious about moving up the grid again. But of course, their last signing from Merc was a bit of a disaster so time will tell :wink:

What the Bleep!!! That was unexpected. Plus side, it would be fun to hear "logan, it's James" or "Alex, it's James". Personally miss the valterri, it's James.

Also info I have was that paddy developed a bit of a problem towards the end of his time at merc which is why there weren't too fussed over him leaving / it still affected him at Williams. He seems to have turned around a bit by looks of it however but take all with a pinch of salt
Williams have announced their new team principal and in a bit of a coup have signed... James Vowles from Mercedes! As noted in the press release, Vowles is now only the third team principal in Williams history, (46 years).

His voice will be familiar to most from Merc's team radio delivering the more serious strategy guidance.

There was some concern that Williams were leaving things very close to the start of the season to make this appointment, (and he's only joining on 20th of Feb), but I I think this is a statement of intent that they are serious about moving up the grid again. But of course, their last signing from Merc was a bit of a disaster so time will tell :wink:

Wtf. He’s one of the most recognisable merc radio voices and pretty senior. Tbh he did always sound unhappy for Bottas when he had to tell him to give away the lead/position. Maybe he didn’t want to stick around once Bottas left.
Original post by KirstinTMH
Wtf. He’s one of the most recognisable merc radio voices and pretty senior. Tbh he did always sound unhappy for Bottas when he had to tell him to give away the lead/position. Maybe he didn’t want to stick around once Bottas left.

TBH unless he has been told he is the heir apparent to Toto (who doesnt appear to be packing his bags), I suspect this is the only way he gets to be a team principle (which im assuming is part of his personal ambitions, given this announcement...).
Red bull to launch RB19 in New York on the 3rd of February - way before anyone else. My feeling is its a dummy car /tarted up RB18 before the proper car is seen in testing or bahrain
Original post by quasa
WEC news: ferrari have announced their lined up for the hypercar programme.

Car 50 will be piloted by Antonio Fuoco (3rd in 2016 GP3 season behind leclerc and albon/ highest non-ART driver; highest of 7th in F2), Miguel Molina (3rd in gte Pro last year) and Nicolas Nelson.
Car 51 will be piloted by plitored by the reigning GTE Pro champs James Calado and Alessandro pier guidi, along with Antonio Giovinazzi

No massive shocks there really
+ Merc to launch on the 15th.

NB. I keep meaning to do your quiz, but my memory is so bad I am sure most of it would be guesswork!

No rush!
Original post by quasa
For whatever reason, whenever I submit reply, it doesn't :s-smilie:

Pm me maybe
Original post by Rakas21
Red Bull have signed Montoya's son for F4.

Interesting to see how it goes. Red bull has the best YDP and he will get seats but it’s the most cutthroat
Keeping up with surprising automotive news from today: Honda have unveiled their new GT500 Class 1 car for super gt, replacing the NSX and... It's A CIVIC! A 700HP Honda Civic which is competing against supras and Fairladies and is faster than any hypercar or lmdh in WEC or IMSA

Ngl, it looks good
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Andrew97
Andrew's 2022 F1 quiz

Round 1 Quotes- Who said/tweeted it

1)I understand that, with my agreement, Williams Racing have put out a press release this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is right and I have signed a contract with Williams for 2023. I will be driving for Williams next year.

2) "Suck my balls, Honey"

3) Who is alleged to have said this "Last year for 2 points I would have ******** the entire paddock"

4) Who said this about Fernando Alonso on leaving Alpine "We won so many things, and that will be part of our history not only Renault group History, But also Fernando history"

5) "Stop inventing, stop inventing"

Round 2- Teams

1) Which team was the last to unveil their livery for 2022

2) Which was the last team to score points in 2022

3)A new rule in 2022 meant all teams had to use a rookie in FP1 for two sessions, but which drivers did multiple teams

4) into 2023 how many teams have an uncanged driver lineup

5) What the highest position Haas were in in the constructors in 2022 at any point

Round 3- Qualifying

1) 4 drivers scored their first pole positon in 2022, who were they

2) 2 drivers appeared in every Q3 session this year, who were they

3) Which driver has the longest streak of making at least Q2

4) Charles Leclerc scored the most poles in 2022, what other season did he top this metric

5) Which team made more Q3 appearences in 2022, Haas or AlphaTuari

Round 4- Races

1) Across the season who gained the most places on the first lap?

2) How many drivers scored their first race wins in 2022

3) Which driver was the last to record a race retirement in 2022, non classified

4) Which one of these drivers did not lead a lap in 2022?; Fernando alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Mick Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton

5) Which race had the smallest winning margin of 2022

Round 5- Misc

1) Max Verstappen wrapped the title up in the rain at Suzuka, when was the last time a wet race decided the title?

2) Fernando Alonso scored his first front row since when at Canada?

3) All teams scored points in 2022, with Willaims last on 8 points. When was the last time the team in last scored at least 8 points

4) The Miami grand prix made its debut in 2022, when was the last time the US had 2 grand prix's

5) In 2023 Nyck De Vries will graduate from formula e, to F1, who is the only other driver to do this

Without any cheating on Google from me.

Don't know any section 1.

2.3 is De Vries.
2.4 is 4.
3.1 is Russel, Sainz, Perez and Magnessen.
3.2 is Russel.
3.3 is Hamilton.
3.4 is 2019.
3.5 is Haas.
4.1 is Alonso.
4.2 is Russel and Sainz.
4.4 is Schumacher.
4.5 is Bahrain.
5.1 is 2012.
5.2 is 2012.
5.3 is 2012 again maybe.
Andrew's 2022 F1 quiz

1)I understand that, with my agreement, Williams Racing have put out a press release this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is right and I have signed a contract with Williams for 2023. I will be driving for Williams next year.. - Sargeant?

2) "Suck my balls, Honey" - Kmag

3) Who is alleged to have said this "Last year for 2 points I would have ******** the entire paddock" - guenther steiner

4) Who said this about Fernando Alonso on leaving Alpine "We won so many things, and that will be part of our history not only Renault group History, But also Fernando history" alpine's rossi?

5) "Stop inventing, stop inventing" - leclerc?

Round 2- Teams

1) Which team was the last to unveil their livery for 2022 - haas technically due to Russia invasion

2) Which was the last team to score points in 2022 - Williams?

3)A new rule in 2022 meant all teams had to use a rookie in FP1 for two sessions, but which drivers did multiple teams - de vries, lawson and maybe schwarzman

4) into 2023 how many teams have an uncanged driver lineup - 4

5) What the highest position Haas were in in the constructors in 2022 at any point - 3rd

Round 3- Qualifying

1) 4 drivers scored their first pole positon in 2022, who were they - sainz, Russell, checo, KMag

2) 2 drivers appeared in every Q3 session this year, who were they - Russell and checo?

3) Which driver has the longest streak of making at least Q2- stroll?

4) Charles Leclerc scored the most poles in 2022, what other season did he top this metric - 2019

5) Which team made more Q3 appearences in 2022, Haas or AlphaTuari - Haas

Round 4- Races

1) Across the season who gained the most places on the first lap? Stroll

2) How many drivers scored their first race wins in 2022 - 2

3) Which driver was the last to record a race retirement in 2022, non classified - hamilton

4) Which one of these drivers did not lead a lap in 2022?; Fernando alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Mick Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton - mick

5) Which race had the smallest winning margin of 2022 - jeddah

Round 5- Misc

1) Max Verstappen wrapped the title up in the rain at Suzuka, when was the last time a wet race decided the title? Full wet or rain affected? Rain affected would be 2020 Turkey, full wet - Brazil 2012

2) Fernando Alonso scored his first front row since when at Canada? - Spa 2014

3) All teams scored points in 2022, with Willaims last on 8 points. When was the last time the team in last scored at least 8 points - 2018?

4) The Miami grand prix made its debut in 2022, when was the last time the US had 2 grand prix's- 1983

5) In 2023 Nyck De Vries will graduate from formula e, to F1, who is the only other driver to do this - technically albon but albon never raced

Isn’t it 4th. Frank, Claire, jost Capito and now Vowles. See how it goes I say.
Original post by mnot
*fourth team principle:wink: , being pragmatic towards the end Franks title was more ceromonial and it was really a touch of class from Claire with the formal signatures on the name badge.

I would actually have loved if Dorilton had kept their chief title as deputy team principle .. it would of been a nice touch to the legend.

It's hard to say how much change one can implement transforming an organisation and re-building will take time, and unfortunately often takes backward steps before you can go forward. It would be nice for Williams to make progress but ultimately they are owned by a PE fund which I imagine is more concerned with getting Williams into saleable condition in line with their exit strategy then truly giving anyone a few years to structure a race team. ... I wonder if Porsche are keeping an eye on the price tag

Yeah, vowles seems a like an ok choice. But will see
Original post by quasa
What the Bleep!!! That was unexpected. Plus side, it would be fun to hear "logan, it's James" or "Alex, it's James". Personally miss the valterri, it's James.

Also info I have was that paddy developed a bit of a problem towards the end of his time at merc which is why there weren't too fussed over him leaving / it still affected him at Williams. He seems to have turned around a bit by looks of it however but take all with a pinch of salt

Yeah it’s a left field move. I assume he has ambitions. Is that all TP slots sorted now, or is still sauber up for grabs (Siesl is ceo I think)
Original post by KirstinTMH

No chance of progression I suspect so Junp shrimp
Original post by mnot
TBH unless he has been told he is the heir apparent to Toto (who doesnt appear to be packing his bags), I suspect this is the only way he gets to be a team principle (which im assuming is part of his personal ambitions, given this announcement...).
1st qualifying for the gen 3 formula e cars and a shock pole for lucas di grassi and the mahindra team
Mexico ePrix will be live at 7pm GMT and can be streamed live on here or eurosport

Mexico e prix is live and spent most of the 1st 10 laps behind sc.
Dennis has taken the lead from di grassi. Hughes 3rd. D tantrum has 1st penalty of year
Jake Dennis wins from Wehrlien and di Grassi.

Di Grassi did very well to get that energy situation back. Porsche power trains look good
Jake Dennis wins from Wehrlien and di Grassi.

Di Grassi did very well to get that energy situation back. Porsche power trains look good

When it was a straight choice between Ocon and Wehrlein for the Force India seat I felt at the time Wehrlein was hard done by. I remember him destroying Ericcson in the blue Sauber in 2018. Did De Grassi used to be an F1 driver ?

Original post by quasa
Andrew's 2022 F1 quiz

1)I understand that, with my agreement, Williams Racing have put out a press release this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is right and I have signed a contract with Williams for 2023. I will be driving for Williams next year.. - Sargeant?

2) "Suck my balls, Honey" - Kmag

3) Who is alleged to have said this "Last year for 2 points I would have ******** the entire paddock" - guenther steiner

4) Who said this about Fernando Alonso on leaving Alpine "We won so many things, and that will be part of our history not only Renault group History, But also Fernando history" alpine's rossi?

5) "Stop inventing, stop inventing" - leclerc?

Round 2- Teams

1) Which team was the last to unveil their livery for 2022 - haas technically due to Russia invasion

2) Which was the last team to score points in 2022 - Williams?

3)A new rule in 2022 meant all teams had to use a rookie in FP1 for two sessions, but which drivers did multiple teams - de vries, lawson and maybe schwarzman

4) into 2023 how many teams have an uncanged driver lineup - 4

5) What the highest position Haas were in in the constructors in 2022 at any point - 3rd

Round 3- Qualifying

1) 4 drivers scored their first pole positon in 2022, who were they - sainz, Russell, checo, KMag

2) 2 drivers appeared in every Q3 session this year, who were they - Russell and checo?

3) Which driver has the longest streak of making at least Q2- stroll?

4) Charles Leclerc scored the most poles in 2022, what other season did he top this metric - 2019

5) Which team made more Q3 appearences in 2022, Haas or AlphaTuari - Haas

Round 4- Races

1) Across the season who gained the most places on the first lap? Stroll

2) How many drivers scored their first race wins in 2022 - 2

3) Which driver was the last to record a race retirement in 2022, non classified - hamilton

4) Which one of these drivers did not lead a lap in 2022?; Fernando alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Mick Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton - mick

5) Which race had the smallest winning margin of 2022 - was the last time a wet race decided the title? Full wet or rain affected? Rain affected would be 2020 Turkey, full wet - Brazil 2012

2) Fernando Alonso scored his first front row since when at Canada? - Spa 2014

3) All teams scored points in 2022, with Willaims last on 8 points. When was the last time the team in last scored at least 8 points - 2018?

4) The Miami grand prix made its debut in 2022, when was the last time the US had 2 grand prix's- 1983

5) In 2023 Nyck De Vries will graduate from formula e, to F1, who is the only other driver to do this - technically albon but albon never raced

Forgive my terrible answers because I don’t know most of them, but I’ll give it a go!

Andrew's 2022 F1 quiz

1)I understand that, with my agreement, Williams Racing have put out a press release this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is right and I have signed a contract with Williams for 2023. I will be driving for Williams next year.. -

Logan Sargeant

Kevin Magnussen

3) Who is alleged to have said this "Last year for 2 points I would have ******** the entire paddock" -

Gunter Steiner

4) Who said this about Fernando Alonso on leaving Alpine "We won so many things, and that will be part of our history not only Renault group History, But also Fernando history"

Alain Prost

Toto Wolff

Round 2- Teams

Alpha Tauri

Williams

3)A new rule in 2022 meant all teams had to use a rookie in FP1 for two sessions, but which drivers did multiple teams -

Nyck De Vries, Antonio Giovinazzi, Liam Lawson

5) What the highest position Haas were in in the constructors in 2022 at any point
4th

Round 3- Qualifying

1) 4 drivers scored their first pole positon in 2022, who were they -

Russell, Ocon, Norris, Sainz

2) 2 drivers appeared in every Q3 session this year, who were they -

Verstappen and Leclerc

3) Which driver has the longest streak of making at least Q2-
Sainz

4) Charles Leclerc scored the most poles in 2022, what other season did he top this metric

5) Which team made more Q3 appearences in 2022, Haas or AlphaTuari -
Haas

Round 4- Races

Stroll

2 - Russell and Sainz

3) Which driver was the last to record a race retirement in 2022, non classified -
Albon

4) Which one of these drivers did not lead a lap in 2022?; Fernando alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Mick Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton -
Vettel

5) Which race had the smallest winning margin of 2022 -
Silverstone

Round 5- Misc

1) Max Verstappen wrapped the title up in the rain at Suzuka, when was the last time a wet race decided the title?

2) Fernando Alonso scored his first front row since when at Canada? -

3) All teams scored points in 2022, with Willaims last on 8 points. When was the last time the team in last scored at least 8 points
2018 (Stroll’s podium in Baku?)

4) The Miami grand prix made its debut in 2022, when was the last time the US had 2 grand prix's-

5) In 2023 Nyck De Vries will graduate from formula e, to F1, who is the only other driver to do this -
No idea.
@Andrew97 - Answers in spoiler text. Lots of guesswork here :smile:

Spoiler

1)I understand that, with my agreement, Williams Racing have put out a press release this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is right and I have signed a contract with Williams for 2023. I will be driving for Williams next year.

Spoiler

Spoiler

3) Who is alleged to have said this "Last year for 2 points I would have ******** the entire paddock"

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 2- Teams

Spoiler

Spoiler

3)A new rule in 2022 meant all teams had to use a rookie in FP1 for two sessions, but which drivers did multiple teams

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 3- Qualifying

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 4- Races

Spoiler

Spoiler

3) Which driver was the last to record a race retirement in 2022, non classified

Spoiler

4) Which one of these drivers did not lead a lap in 2022?; Fernando alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Mick Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 5- Misc

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

4) The Miami grand prix made its debut in 2022, when was the last time the US had 2 grand prix's

Spoiler

5) In 2023 Nyck De Vries will graduate from formula e, to F1, who is the only other driver to do this

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 2- Teams

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 3- Qualifying

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 4- Races

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Round 5- Misc

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I must admit that I did a little better than I thought. But I did forget about K-Mag’s pole, I did tell you I have a bad memory! Thanks for organising, it was good fun.

Quick Reply

Latest