The Student Room Group

Not sure about my instructor?

So I have enrolled for private swimming lessons last week where I pay £25 per 30 min session. It was ok but since I have been watching youtube videos, I noticed that the first thing they teach is floating on front and back. However, my instructor had me on a noodle to kick around the pool where she was holding the noodle and I was on top. Then she left me alone on the noodle where I kicked around the pool and she was next to me following. She said on the next session, she is planning for me to do breastroke without the noodle as we practiced the leg and arm kick on the noodle. Should I not be learning to learn to float on my front and back before doing the breastroke? I have been watching youtube videos and thats the first thing they teach students before progressing to strokes. Also she didnt mention anything to hold my breath when swimming or floating and I think that is left out too. I have also discovered that you need air in your lungs to do any stroke and to stay on the surface of the water, am I right? she made me do dog paddle and my body was below the surface nearly sinking and struggled to stay up. I am just concerned if I am with the wrong instructor, please help.
Original post by habesha97
So I have enrolled for private swimming lessons last week where I pay £25 per 30 min session. It was ok but since I have been watching youtube videos, I noticed that the first thing they teach is floating on front and back. However, my instructor had me on a noodle to kick around the pool where she was holding the noodle and I was on top. Then she left me alone on the noodle where I kicked around the pool and she was next to me following. She said on the next session, she is planning for me to do breastroke without the noodle as we practiced the leg and arm kick on the noodle. Should I not be learning to learn to float on my front and back before doing the breastroke? I have been watching youtube videos and thats the first thing they teach students before progressing to strokes. Also she didnt mention anything to hold my breath when swimming or floating and I think that is left out too. I have also discovered that you need air in your lungs to do any stroke and to stay on the surface of the water, am I right? she made me do dog paddle and my body was below the surface nearly sinking and struggled to stay up. I am just concerned if I am with the wrong instructor, please help.

Trust your got instinct - £25 per 30 min session is expensive. I mean looking at this thing I googled. It seems you are being ripped off
https://gaytonpool.org.uk/lessons-classes/prices/
‘£37.50 (for 5 lessons/30 mins)’
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Trust your got instinct - £25 per 30 min session is expensive. I mean looking at this thing I googled. It seems you are being ripped off
https://gaytonpool.org.uk/lessons-classes/prices/
‘£37.50 (for 5 lessons/30 mins)’

You are right, it is expensive. The thing is I have already paid upfront which £100 for the next 3 session and I dont think there is a refund. I am just concerned that shes not teaching me the basics yet wants to proceed to the stroke. Shall I stop after the 3 sessions and find another instructor? Not sure what to do going forward. Thanks

That is extraordinarily pricey so you have every right to expect a high standard of coaching. If you feel that the instructor is not doing a great job, let them know of some of the things that you are concerned about, and if you don't see any improvement then I highly suggest that you switch instructors.
Reply 4
Original post by toxicgamage56
That is extraordinarily pricey so you have every right to expect a high standard of coaching. If you feel that the instructor is not doing a great job, let them know of some of the things that you are concerned about, and if you don't see any improvement then I highly suggest that you switch instructors.

Exactly! She just said that I am really good and picking things well. I was expecting to do at least floating on my own before going to learning the strokes.
Exactly! She just said that I am really good and picking things well. I was expecting to do at least floating on my own before going to learning the strokes.

Yeah, of course you know whether you're learning best, but it does seem that you're not receiving the quality of service that you're paying for. I would complete the 3 sessions then decide whether or not you'd like to change instructors.
Reply 6
Original post by toxicgamage56
Yeah, of course you know whether you're learning best, but it does seem that you're not receiving the quality of service that you're paying for. I would complete the 3 sessions then decide whether or not you'd like to change instructors.

I will do that, thank you!
£25 for 30 mins, you’re joking?! By the time you get into the pool and do a warm up it’s almost half the session gone, it shouldn’t be that expensive!!

Well it depends what level you are. If you’re a complete beginner then yes, you should be taught how to float face down and face up, and also things like treading water to stay afloat vertically. You should also be working on your arm strokes and leg kicking separately as they both require quite a bit of refinement before they can effectively work together. Breaststroke is one of the most difficult strokes in regards to timing, leg work and arm strokes too so it seems bizarre to make you do that so early on…
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
£25 for 30 mins, you’re joking?! By the time you get into the pool and do a warm up it’s almost half the session gone, it shouldn’t be that expensive!!

Well it depends what level you are. If you’re a complete beginner then yes, you should be taught how to float face down and face up, and also things like treading water to stay afloat vertically. You should also be working on your arm strokes and leg kicking separately as they both require quite a bit of refinement before they can effectively work together. Breaststroke is one of the most difficult strokes in regards to timing, leg work and arm strokes too so it seems bizarre to make you do that so early on…

No joke! I am a complete beginner so I thought the money spent would be beneficial in getting quality lessons. I have not done face up or down floating neither treading. Basically straight to breastroke with the noodle after doing some flutter kicks and blowing bubbles.
No joke! I am a complete beginner so I thought the money spent would be beneficial in getting quality lessons. I have not done face up or down floating neither treading. Basically straight to breastroke with the noodle after doing some flutter kicks and blowing bubbles.

That is categorically not the right way to teach a beginner. I would strongly suggest you change instructor after your prepaid lessons end.

Your lessons are 121 I presume, the other prices someone showed are group prices.

An instructor needs to teach floating to small children who can't touch the bottom of the pool, it's a safety thing. You don't need to teach floating first to adults who can stand up in the water and understand being out of their depth.

You also need to to start talking to your instructor and asking her these questions!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
So I've been for my lesson today and she forgot where we were last time and I had to remind her. She didn't have any clue what we did! Then she asked me if we did a back float then I said no she then showed me how to do it without telling me I need air in my lungs to float! ,that's what many I instructors teach. Then she helped me lift up I did the float and was over. I struggled with the breaststroke kick today and felt bad then she made me do flutter kicks with the noodle. The next thing I know 30 min was up and I went home. I decided not to continue and try to get refund by giving excuse. At this point I given up swimming lesson as I've tried couple schools and the teaching was awful. I've seen online swimnow is good maybe I should try them out and see. I feel like I'm wasting my hard work money on useless lessons and started to think swimming lessons are not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest