The Student Room Group

Official 2023 formula one Thread

Scroll to see replies

In addition to Johnny Herbert leaving sky f1, Paul di Resta's contract hasn't been renewed either.
Original post by quasa
In addition to Johnny Herbert leaving sky f1, Paul di Resta's contract hasn't been renewed either.

That's a bit more of a loss. I know he was criticised for bias, but at least his knowledge was a bit more up to date than JH's.
Can’t help but feel that the FIA & Ben Sulayem are seeking to engage in a civil war with liberty & F1 management atm.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by quasa

Who will replace them, if any ? I’m sure they aren’t all full-time so they rotate for certain weekends. Anthony Davidson and Karun Chandhok basically do the same job as Paul Di Resta.
Original post by quasa

That's a shame.
Original post by mnot
Can’t help but feel that the FIA & Ben Sulayem are seeking to engage in a civil war with liberty & F1 management atm.

formula 1 civil war is setting up an infinity war. what will be the end game i wonder?
Original post by Rakas21
Fantastic News - Herbert has left Sky F1

While he seems a perfectly nice bloke I find his persoanlity quite irriating, i get why others like him however. Always felt the sky f1 team was too big
Original post by quasa
Yay, now we need to get rid of Hill and pinkham

Hill I agree, find him very wooden
Original post by Rakas21
I don't actually mind Hill, he's also been around since the start of Sky F1.

I find hill a bit bland tbh
Original post by quasa
Made a few changes to driver numbers. Also alcoholic will be joining mp in the 2nd car, copying premas line up from last year.
Also Arjun's brother Kush brother is in F2 this year, not him. Funny enough kush means happy in hindi. Its a shame he and Daruvala aren't in the same team else we'd have have happy alcoholic in the team :lol:

Carlin have also been taken over by a New Zealand sports car firm called Rodin (Trevor and stepahie Carlin still run the team).

In terms of the grid for this season in F2, there are 9 rookies on the grid.
Looking at driver academy breakdowns, there are:
6 Red Bull juniors (hauger, both Carlins and hitechs and Iwasa),
2 ferrari juniors (bearman and leclerc)
2 sauber juniors (pourchaire and correa)
2 alpine juniors (doohan and Martins)
1 mercedes junior (Vesti)
1 Williams driver (Nissany).
Daruvala has been dropped by RB and the rest are indies

Yup. saw about Daruvla, thoughy he would try to go for the Mahindra FE test role more byt there you go.

Liveries going to be super confsuing with all those RB juniors. they do sure like to stacl fields. Bearman is my man to watch I think, pouhciare title favourite with Doohan (but we know Alpine dont know the meaning of the word promotion)
Original post by Rakas21
When is pre season testing.

1 test in Bahrian a couple of weeks before the first race
Original post by arch17
feb 23-25th in bahrain

Thanks, will add to the OP
Original post by quasa
Any ideas if it's televised this year?

Nothong confirmed but ive heard rumours its being covered in Spain
Original post by arch17
not that ive heard of but hopefully!

Should be, no reason why not
Original post by quasa

Needed to cut the team down, id have gone Hill and kept Di Resta
Original post by Admit-One
That's a bit more of a loss. I know he was criticised for bias, but at least his knowledge was a bit more up to date than JH's.

Problem with bias accusations is the people making them are not neutral themsleves. so they never bothered me. plus theres x other pundits here. they dont all have to spout your viewpoint.
Original post by Driving_Mad
Who will replace them, if any ? I’m sure they aren’t all full-time so they rotate for certain weekends. Anthony Davidson and Karun Chandhok basically do the same job as Paul Di Resta.

Nobody, apparently. id like to see them make more use of Naomi Schiff. Davidson is very good at the sky pad I feel
Original post by Rakas21
That's a shame.
Original post by mnot

Original post by quasa
formula 1 civil war is setting up an infinity war. what will be the end game i wonder?

Its a very odd story. So a Saudi soverihn wealth fnd tried to by f1 and liberty said no thanks. MBS takes to twitter on Monday to say the price tag is very overinflated. Liberty/f1 have hit back effecrively.

im no legal expert but im with liberty/f1 on this.
Original post by Andrew97
Its a very odd story. So a Saudi soverihn wealth fnd tried to by f1 and liberty said no thanks. MBS takes to twitter on Monday to say the price tag is very overinflated. Liberty/f1 have hit back effecrively.

im no legal expert but im with liberty/f1 on this.

Even if it was inflated it’s not his place to say.

And with the discussions of new teams which obviously effects both the sporting and commercial aspects of F1, the FIA appeared to dive in without consultation.

It kind of seems to me that BS want more personal influence over the sport, but the reality is I think F1 is going to move more to a franchise model with commercial rights holder CEO acting as a commissioner.
Original post by Andrew97
Yup. saw about Daruvla, thoughy he would try to go for the Mahindra FE test role more byt there you go.

Liveries going to be super confsuing with all those RB juniors. they do sure like to stacl fields. Bearman is my man to watch I think, pouhciare title favourite with Doohan (but we know Alpine dont know the meaning of the word promotion)

For me, the 3 rookies to look out for are bearman, maloney and hadjar. Maloney is fastest over 1 lap I feel. Bearman has the Charles leclerc issue in the sense that he is very fast in races but doesn't look after his tyres well, whereas hadjar was most consistent rookie last year barring the awful finale which lost him the championship. Whilst bearman and maloney are in great teams, hadjar is stuck with hitech but has iwasa as a teammate, who is quick.
I'd rate doohan more than pourchaire tbh and reckon he is the favourite of the returners, with iwasa probably 2nd quickest of returners but in a crap team
(edited 1 year ago)
Yet again formula e will be live streamed instead of broadcast on TV.

Qualifying is in 2 hours

And the race from 5pm gmt today

In other motorsport news, race of champions will be this weekend and broadcast Live on sky sports f1.

Also the IMSA rolex 24 hours of daytona will be this weekend. With acura (Honda) on pole from porsche and all lmdh cars within a second of each other. Despite the lmdh cars being 130kg more than the outbound dpi cars, and using a spec hybrid system, they were still within 0.346s of the circuit record set in 2019. There are however concerns over the reliability of the hybrid systems as they have all had various failures in testing and practice.

The engines used however are quite interesting as there is a huge variety. The acura cars are using a detuned version of the new indycar engine which is due to debut in the next couple of years (2.4l cold twin turbo v6 capped at about 600hp but capable of 900hp). Cadillac are using the venerable 5.5L natural aspirated 'small block' v8 which has been used and refined for many years by corvette racing and used in dpis. Both BMW and porsche are using largish capacity v8s, which if naturally aspirated could easily meet the 500kW power limit, however both have added twin turbos. BMW is using a cold twin turbo version of their 4L v8 engine used in the 2017 DTM championship. Porsche interestingly is is using a hot twin turbo version of the 4.6L v8 used in the porsche 918 road car, which is also going to be used in the upcoming lamborghini Lmdh car. Alpine as it stands is the big unknown for their lmdh project as they have tested using the f1 engine however they have confirmed they will be using another pre-existing engine. My money is on a modified / updated version for the Vr38dett 3.8l cold twin turbo v6 used in the Nissan gtr and in previous dpis
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 96
Interesting how much knowledge you guys here have about the cars etc. and how the cars affect the driving style of some of the drivers. Where'd you learn this information from? So much detail in your posts.

I feel that some of you guys must be engineers/in the field irl or something.
Fun little race in Dyriah. Once again the Porsche cars are strong
Wehrlein wins the 1st of 2 diryah ePrix this weekend from jake Dennis and Sam Bird.
Dennis still leads the championship by 1 point.
Will be interesting to see quali and race tomorrow as the porsche power train is easily the best one during races for the 1st 2 races this year but not as good in quali for some reason.
I reckon ticktum could have a good shot at top 4 or top 2 as he looked faster than Hughes before binning it in the last corner in quali shootout
C'mon Lewis, aiming for that 8th Championship this season! Good luck to all the other competitors also.

Quick Reply

Latest