The Student Room Group

Tips for writing essays and assignments

Hello The people on TSR, I have to write an essay for the Global and Business Finance module. It is on the monetary policy. When, I have written assignments in the past, I have written a lot more than they ask for. Then, I have the job of whittling the essay or assignment down according to what I think is relevant to the question.

The title is “Monetary policy is the most effective way of stimulating economic growth during a recession.”
Critically analyse this statement.

What tips or advice do you give me? I hope to hear from you as soon as possible. Thanks and Best Wishes From Michael.
Original post by mjhmichael18
Hello The people on TSR, I have to write an essay for the Global and Business Finance module. It is on the monetary policy. When, I have written assignments in the past, I have written a lot more than they ask for. Then, I have the job of whittling the essay or assignment down according to what I think is relevant to the question.

The title is “Monetary policy is the most effective way of stimulating economic growth during a recession.”
Critically analyse this statement.

What tips or advice do you give me? I hope to hear from you as soon as possible. Thanks and Best Wishes From Michael.

Firstly I'd outline and address the key factors of the question. So basically you'd start with defining what monetary policy is and how it's incorporated, then briefly outline other ways that stimulate economic growth.

. Principally you'll need to focus on the question to "critically analyse", so you're basically looking for the flaws of monetary policy and its strengths as well. Emphasize the stance you take early on in the essay, as this will allow you to branch out and critically assess monetary policy. You will have to bring in elements of your opposing argument, display their strengths and weakness, and then possibly do a bit of comparing and contrasting.

Remember in the conclusion to summarize everything you've said in the strongest way you can and ultimately say why your opinion is the most prominent, by threading through the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing argument.

I'd write this essay myself to show you how I think you should go about writing it. However, I think you will do fine if you put horsepower into your argument, acknowledge its weak points in a minor but honest way, then highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing arguments.
Hi Michael.

When I was in Uni i would also tend to write too much for assignments. But I found that this would only happen if I didn’t plan. May be a different situation for you though.

Break down your essay question/statement. Plan an introduction, body, and conclusion. Think about the most important parts of the statement. You want this in your conclusion, so then this will help you to know what the body needs to be focused on.

Good luck and happy essay writing!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending