The Student Room Group

Access to science course

I am studying an access to science course and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get distinctions? I need as many as possible so I can get into uni. My assignments are usually presentations (I dont have to present I can make a script and the presenation), illustrated reports, academic reports and worksheets. My course is also online through the pearl platform. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
Original post by amaialuv
I am studying an access to science course and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get distinctions? I need as many as possible so I can get into uni. My assignments are usually presentations (I dont have to present I can make a script and the presenation), illustrated reports, academic reports and worksheets. My course is also online through the pearl platform. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Look through the grade descriptors and make sure you provide ample evidence for all the criteria for pass, merit, and distinction level marks.

For maths questions, you just need to get the answer right.
For exam papers, you want to use the objectives for each unit to set up mock questions for you to answer in practice.
For open book exams, practice as if you're doing a closed book exams but you are allowed to look through your notes
Keep your notes organised and know exactly what you need and where
Summarise your biology notes during revision - you're welcome
Do your presentations as if you're writing an essay (it's not the same type of presentation you do for casual talks or for sales)
Work hard
Master academic writing before you start the course

Good luck
Reply 2
I dont have any exams, the only assignments I have are the ones listed. And i dont really understand the grade descriptions because im autistic

Original post by MindMax2000
Look through the grade descriptors and make sure you provide ample evidence for all the criteria for pass, merit, and distinction level marks.

For maths questions, you just need to get the answer right.
For exam papers, you want to use the objectives for each unit to set up mock questions for you to answer in practice.
For open book exams, practice as if you're doing a closed book exams but you are allowed to look through your notes
Keep your notes organised and know exactly what you need and where
Summarise your biology notes during revision - you're welcome
Do your presentations as if you're writing an essay (it's not the same type of presentation you do for casual talks or for sales)
Work hard
Master academic writing before you start the course

Good luck
Original post by amaialuv
I dont have any exams, the only assignments I have are the ones listed. And i dont really understand the grade descriptions because im autistic

That's going to prove a little difficult, since a number of grade descriptors would be vague in nature.

Virtually all of the key material that you would be tested on would be listed in the unit outline i.e. the lecture notes, resources, essential reading, and especially the recommended reading (double especially if the lecture points them out to you, hint, hint). If you go through the material with a fine toothcomb, then you should be able to pick out the required material to address the question/assignment concerned.

If you haven't started your Access course, you will initially be asked to complete a few ungraded assignments. These would prove to be useful "test runs" for the real thing. If you can navigate through the pass grading requirements, I think you might have a better grasp of what the grade descriptors are asking of you. I would keep in mind that the grade descriptions are essentially a type of system, and the requirements are a form of checklist; it would make it easier for you to get your head around the issues.

I would imagine you would have an easier time with the maths and fact based questions considering your autism.
Reply 4
unfortunately having autism doesnt make me any good at maths 💀 but thanks for your help
Original post by MindMax2000
That's going to prove a little difficult, since a number of grade descriptors would be vague in nature.

Virtually all of the key material that you would be tested on would be listed in the unit outline i.e. the lecture notes, resources, essential reading, and especially the recommended reading (double especially if the lecture points them out to you, hint, hint). If you go through the material with a fine toothcomb, then you should be able to pick out the required material to address the question/assignment concerned.

If you haven't started your Access course, you will initially be asked to complete a few ungraded assignments. These would prove to be useful "test runs" for the real thing. If you can navigate through the pass grading requirements, I think you might have a better grasp of what the grade descriptors are asking of you. I would keep in mind that the grade descriptions are essentially a type of system, and the requirements are a form of checklist; it would make it easier for you to get your head around the issues.

I would imagine you would have an easier time with the maths and fact based questions considering your autism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending