The Student Room Group

Share any super curricular resources around Chemistry

I am considering a chemistry degree and I am generally interested in chemistry so I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where you can post good resources for everyone to increase our interest and skills in chemistry as well as helping in applications to university for 6th formers.

Examples of this can include:
Online/ in person lectures
Competitions regarding chemistry
Books
Youtube channels
Research websites/ articles
Internship/ work experience opportunities
Anything else !
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ax4
I am considering a chemistry degree and I am generally interested in chemistry so I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where you can post good resources for everyone to increase our interest and skills in chemistry as well as helping in applications to university for 6th formers.

Books
Youtube channels
Anything else !

Youtube Channel - MAChemGuy
Work experience opportunity - Nuffield Research Placements or In2ScienceUK
Books - no clue, I don't use them.
There's the chemistry olympiad - I never done it but I would love to.
Original post by ax4

Books
Youtube channels
Anything else !

Hi I’ve applied for chemistry for 2023 intake and only included 3 super curricular activities and gained 5 offers

I included the RSC uk chemistry Olympiad (I recommend this, it was actually interesting but very hard so preparation is important), online masterclasses and i had the opportunity to synthesise aspirin and analyse our samples using GCMS FTIR and HNMR with the university of Sheffield (i think they do it once or twice a year, i did it in June and i remember getting another email for another opportunity around October) other universities may offer on campus taster days within the chemistry department you would just have to look around at any local unis or if you’re willing to travel look further out.

The next chemistry Olympiad is in January so if your teacher hasn’t already talked about it etc make sure to ask them to register your sixth form as i think registrations close early January

You can also complete free open learn courses about chemistry i did quite a few however didn’t include them in my ps as i didn’t have enough space and thought the others were more important.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions etc id be happy to help
(edited 1 year ago)
The RVC's Chemistry Champions course may be good. I only managed to do the Biology Champions course, but it was useful and gave some interesting insight into different careers within Biology and covered some content too, which allowed us to engage with the sessions more. I didn't manage to get a lot of work experience related to my course (partly due to lockdowns and covid restrictions etc), so included this in my personal statement.

I aslo took part in the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge at the end of year 12. That might be good, but I think your school/college will have to register.
Reply 4
Original post by aj_11_04
Hi I’ve applied for chemistry for 2023 intake and only included 3 super curricular activities and gained 5 offers

I included the RSC uk chemistry Olympiad (I recommend this, it was actually interesting but very hard so preparation is important), online masterclasses and i had the opportunity to synthesise aspirin and analyse our samples using GCMS FTIR and HNMR with the university of Sheffield (i think they do it once or twice a year, i did it in June and i remember getting another email for another opportunity around October) other universities may offer on campus taster days within the chemistry department you would just have to look around at any local unis or if you’re willing to travel look further out.

The next chemistry Olympiad is in January so if your teacher hasn’t already talked about it etc make sure to ask them to register your sixth form as i think registrations close early January

You can also complete free open learn courses about chemistry i did quite a few however didn’t include them in my ps as i didn’t have enough space and thought the others were more important.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions etc id be happy to help

Hi can I ask you what universities you applied to and what open learn courses you did? I am also thinking of applying for chemistry but not too sure yet.

Original post by banarchie
Hi can I ask you what universities you applied to and what open learn courses you did? I am also thinking of applying for chemistry but not too sure yet.

Whilst I’m not who you asked, I have applied to study chemistry at uni and I think it’s worth pointing a few things out:

-Generally when you begin looking into universities, you want to apply to universities that have entry requirements that are on par with, or maybe a little below your predicted grades and you should also bear in mind any subjects they require you to have.

-You also should aim to go to open days, if possible, to get a feel of the place and to see what the labs are like. I’d also ask myself what you want to do with your degree afterwards and tailor your choices to that - would you want a year in industry or an accelerated masters, for example?

-When picking online courses for chemistry, I’d say you should pick one course based on the aspect(s) of chemistry you are most interested in. E.g. if you find pharmaceutical chemistry particularly interesting, then that’s the sort of course to look out for.

-I’d also look into getting a copy of ‘chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry’ by Burrows et al, since it is very accessible and often comes in handy during the first and second years of undergraduate study.
Reply 6
Original post by banarchie

Hi, I applied to uni of York(ABB), uni of Leed(AAB) uni of Liverpool(BBB), uni of Warwick(ABB) and uni of lincoln(unconditional) all my offers were contextual too :smile:

I can’t remember what courses I did specifically but I remember it was something about how aspirin works and something else to do with medicinal chemistry

I also joined a few online masterclasses with UEA in computational chemistry which were really interesting I can’t remember what they were on but I googled something like online chemistry webinars for Y12

I would also recommend trying to attend some open days and if there’s a uni near you and they offer it an on campus taster day

Quick Reply

Latest