The Student Room Group

Super-curriculars for Oxbridge?

I'm a student in Year 12, who is hoping to apply for medicine at Cambridge. Exam-wise, I am fine with as I am predicted 4 A*s, but it is the super-curricular activities which I am more worried about (activities relating to your chosen course).

I am taking the Chemistry Cambridge Challenge, am planning to do ward volunteering and student attachments in hospitals over the summer, and am thinking of taking a MOOC too, but other than those I am not sure what else to do to make me stand out. Is anyone able to give suggestions?
Reply 2
Original post by Razzledazzle310
I'm a student in Year 12, who is hoping to apply for medicine at Cambridge. Exam-wise, I am fine with as I am predicted 4 A*s, but it is the super-curricular activities which I am more worried about (activities relating to your chosen course).

I am taking the Chemistry Cambridge Challenge, am planning to do ward volunteering and student attachments in hospitals over the summer, and am thinking of taking a MOOC too, but other than those I am not sure what else to do to make me stand out. Is anyone able to give suggestions?

A few that I think can help u get considered:
- Start a club (STEM club or Medicine club) or join one
- Publish essays on stuff you explored/find interesting (forgot the website name but u should be able to publish your stuff as an under 18 and get credited ish)
- Read boooooks! Look up some good books (look into those that link to a module in your course)
- Do online work experience (Springpod)
- Do online volunteering (forgot the website but you're able to help classify data for unis and organisations that are doing super important research [I did some for NASA])
All except the club stuff should be free and if you're consistent, you should be able to achieve them quickly over time.
Good luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending