The Student Room Group

Can I get into Land Economy at Cambridge

Hi Guys,

I’ve recently found my dream degree which is Land Economy at Cambridge. Just wanted to hear some thoughts/tips on my academics so far. I’m applying regardless of the comments on this thread so it’s mainly just for fun.

I took Triple Science, History, Spanish and Economics at GCSE along with Maths and Both English Language and Literature. I underachieved (due to both attitude and the higher grade boundaries) but got 888888877 (was predicted 999999988) and my 7s were in History and Economics. I went to an OFSTED outstanding school in one of the more affluent areas in the UK so I highly doubt they would look at my grades contextually.

I now study Maths, Economics and Spanish along with an EPQ. I definitely think I can get an A*AA predicted MINIMUM ( if I really put in the work it could possibly be 3A*s) and an A* in my EPQ. My GCSEs aren’t as strong so I’m aiming for (A*) A*A*A minimum overall.

Along with a strong Personal Statement and some solid super-curriculars I think I have a shot at making a competitive application. I’m also considering LSE, UCL and Warwick but I prefer Land Economy to the other courses offered at each respective University so for me it’s more the degree than the school.

Anyways that’s it from me, feel free to share any thoughts or tips especially with super-curriculars and if you’re also applying share your grades!
Original post by bbg1978
Hi Guys,
I’ve recently found my dream degree which is Land Economy at Cambridge. Just wanted to hear some thoughts/tips on my academics so far. I’m applying regardless of the comments on this thread so it’s mainly just for fun.
I took Triple Science, History, Spanish and Economics at GCSE along with Maths and Both English Language and Literature. I underachieved (due to both attitude and the higher grade boundaries) but got 888888877 (was predicted 999999988) and my 7s were in History and Economics. I went to an OFSTED outstanding school in one of the more affluent areas in the UK so I highly doubt they would look at my grades contextually.
I now study Maths, Economics and Spanish along with an EPQ. I definitely think I can get an A*AA predicted MINIMUM ( if I really put in the work it could possibly be 3A*s) and an A* in my EPQ. My GCSEs aren’t as strong so I’m aiming for (A*) A*A*A minimum overall.
Along with a strong Personal Statement and some solid super-curriculars I think I have a shot at making a competitive application. I’m also considering LSE, UCL and Warwick but I prefer Land Economy to the other courses offered at each respective University so for me it’s more the degree than the school.
Anyways that’s it from me, feel free to share any thoughts or tips especially with super-curriculars and if you’re also applying share your grades!

Cambridge doesn’t put a huge emphasis on GCSEs, and you probably shouldn’t worry as you’ve got a pretty decent set of grades there. A-Levels however, they consider with greater importance, so make sure to put much effort there. You’ve also got a nice range of A-Levels, so overall, got a pretty strong application.
Reply 2
Original post by bbg1978
Hi Guys,

Your A-level subjects are good. Try to get 3x A* predictions to increase chances. Ensure you do plenty of Land Economy related super curriculars to show a real passion and understanding of the subject. Hopefully your EPQ is also related. If you really want Land Economy over your other 4 choices, I would recommend focusing on that in your PS rather than just relying on the additional questionnaire (My Cambridge application). That’s what my daughter did and got an offer this year.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Cambridge doesn’t put a huge emphasis on GCSEs, and you probably shouldn’t worry as you’ve got a pretty decent set of grades there. A-Levels however, they consider with greater importance, so make sure to put much effort there. You’ve also got a nice range of A-Levels, so overall, got a pretty strong application.

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
Your A-level subjects are good. Try to get 3x A* predictions to increase chances. Ensure you do plenty of Land Economy related super curriculars to show a real passion and understanding of the subject. Hopefully your EPQ is also related. If you really want Land Economy over your other 4 choices, I would recommend focusing on that in your PS rather than just relying on the additional questionnaire (My Cambridge application). That’s what my daughter did and got an offer this year.

Very insightful, Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending