The Student Room Group

(OCR) A level Chemistry

Hey folks. I'm in 2nd year of Alevels, so my exams are about a month away.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips for chemistry?
I *have* to get an A for the current uni course (there's no flexibility with this) and I'm somewhat in a bit of a rut with chemistry and FREAKING OUT.
So my paper 1 and 2 mocks I had in early march gave me a low B (on the border of a C) on each paper, which is decent given that i literally only had 1 week to revise. But my paper 3 mock in April was a bit of a worry...i got a low D (after 3 weeks of revision). I am now super stressed about my exams and prioritising chemistry (potentially at the detriment of my other subjects which currently sit at As).

Firstly I cannot seem to get any higher than 40% on the multiple choice qs on any of the papers. I generally know the questions and am ok with short written qs, any help on this? I feel like these are mostly easy marks that I keep losing.

Secondly, the 2022 papers for chemistry which I have done, seem unreasonably hard? Is this just a 2022 year only thing as they had advance info on content, or shall I expect the same difficulty for my 2023 exams?

Currently as it stands, I am so worried about this that its constantly in my mind and its giving me a bit of insomnia. So any feedback at all on quick improvements on chemistry, resources etc will be SUPER helpful! If i can get up to an A in the next few weeks then I'll sleep better for sure.

Thanks in advance everyone.

PS, good luck to anyone who is also heading into exam season now too :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
For multiple choice questions I think everyone find them difficult, when I have spoken to teachers they have told me there is no magic formula and even they struggle with them. I would say try not to overthink them as the other options will be the most common wrong answers from previous years and just keep practising them and you should improve slowly.

I did the 2022 papers for mocks and definitely found them difficult but then again I didn't do much revision. My general advice to improve is going back and looking at where you're going wrong and then spending time to do questions on only that topic until you can do any question from that topic.

Good luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by student2023!
Hi - do you have access to the 2022 papers that I. can use for revision because for some reason I don't have access?

You are breaking forum rules by asking for a locked papers - your teacher can share this with you
sorry didn't realise this was a rule? just wanted revision resources as I've burned through every other year past papers - will ask my teacher, thanks.
Original post by Muttley79
You are breaking forum rules by asking for a locked papers - your teacher can share this with you
Reply 4
Original post by student2023!
sorry didn't realise this was a rule? just wanted revision resources as I've burned through every other year past papers - will ask my teacher, thanks.

You could try the website chemguide, it has exam questions on most of the a-level topic and challenges and stretches' your knowledge, they're also mostly questions that haven't appeared on a paper they'll be new for you. https://www.chemguide.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest