The Student Room Group

Should I start a digital marketing agency as an economics supercurricular

Hi all,

Currently still doing my GCSEs, but a few months ago, I was recommended a video by a proponent of the marketing-agency-owner lifestyle. In hindsight, the YouTuber (Iman Gadzhi, a man from the mountains of Dagestan, if you were curious) had underlying motives to implant my young, impressionable brain with flashy footage to correlate running an online business with a hedonistic lifestyle, since he was offering a paid course. Nonetheless, the constant repetition of 'you just need your laptop and an internet connection to make thousands' was rather inspiring, so I am determined to start.

However, I am well aware that the entrepreneurial path without a stable job (procured from a university education) first has a great possibility to end in failure and homelessness. So I was wondering if starting a successful (hopefully) business could be a good if not great supercuricullar if I was to choose economics as my degree?

It would also be nice if you could suggest ways I could fit it into my personal statement.
Original post by Bababooey123
Hi all,

Currently still doing my GCSEs, but a few months ago, I was recommended a video by a proponent of the marketing-agency-owner lifestyle. In hindsight, the YouTuber (Iman Gadzhi, a man from the mountains of Dagestan, if you were curious) had underlying motives to implant my young, impressionable brain with flashy footage to correlate running an online business with a hedonistic lifestyle, since he was offering a paid course. Nonetheless, the constant repetition of 'you just need your laptop and an internet connection to make thousands' was rather inspiring, so I am determined to start.

However, I am well aware that the entrepreneurial path without a stable job (procured from a university education) first has a great possibility to end in failure and homelessness. So I was wondering if starting a successful (hopefully) business could be a good if not great supercuricullar if I was to choose economics as my degree?

It would also be nice if you could suggest ways I could fit it into my personal statement.

as someone who knows people who own marketing agencies I would say it should be a second business tbh, you need good capital to run a good one.

Do something e-com related to start off get some capital and some connections to help you out.

It's pretty simple though as Iman (who will never forget to let you know he is from Dagestan, home of Khabib) probably explained its just do outreach to a few hundred clients, get them on a call and sell them on a monthly retainer use stripe for payments make a clean website and then either teach yourself ads / copy / organic / account management and then once you have enough clients outsource the work and turn your attention to purely outreach

im considering starting one tbh as it seems like a decent idea
Reply 2
Well, I agree that for a good start, you need some good capital, but as the saying goes, "who doesn't risk doesn't drink champagne." You can start with some basic, easy processes that are not so costly.

You can begin by setting up a website and establishing a presence on social media. These initial steps are relatively low-cost but crucial for brand building and customer engagement. Use WordPress to build it, find a template, and launch it. Find an interesting domain that's free or around 10$. If you have some cash, use this topical authority map service. It will give you an SEO structure for your site, and you can just follow the steps for their strategy to establish in the long term a well-established website that will bring you organic traffic that can convert into customers.

On social media, leverage free tools like Canva for designing eye-catching graphics and ChatGPT for generating engaging content. These platforms are excellent for testing your marketing strategies and understanding your audience without a hefty investment. The only thing is just to try and experiment. This way, you will find a working approach that will bring results. Pump your social media presence by creating 2-3 posts a week.

Remember, the goal at this stage isn't necessarily to turn a huge profit immediately but to learn and grow. Every step you take, successful or otherwise, provides valuable experience. This experience is not only a great learning opportunity but also a powerful addition to your personal statement + who knows, in one day, it can turn into a big-scale business.
(edited 5 months ago)
There’s far more relevant super curriculars for economics that messing about as a content producer.
It sounds like you don’t really have a good understanding of what an academic economics degree involves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending