The Student Room Group

Is there a way for me to get around my previous anxiety for the army?

I applied for the army and got rejected, I have started my appeal but not sure what to put in it.

I have come off my medication recently, but was only on if in the first place due to massive financial stresses and my husband having surgery so he was on SSP which caused additional stress as I had to try and front all of the bills. We eventually got back on our feet and I realised me being on medication for that was ridiculous and the drs should not have given it to me as I was not having everyday anxiety, there was an ongoing issue which made me feel anxious, as anyone would if they were struggling financially. I would love to join but really need advice on how to overcome this issue as joining the Armed forces is my dream
Original post by Kayyzx
I applied for the army and got rejected, I have started my appeal but not sure what to put in it.

I have come off my medication recently, but was only on if in the first place due to massive financial stresses and my husband having surgery so he was on SSP which caused additional stress as I had to try and front all of the bills. We eventually got back on our feet and I realised me being on medication for that was ridiculous and the drs should not have given it to me as I was not having everyday anxiety, there was an ongoing issue which made me feel anxious, as anyone would if they were struggling financially. I would love to join but really need advice on how to overcome this issue as joining the Armed forces is my dream

Not a Medical professional (and its a few years since I left the Armed forces) so unable to advise fully. However, the Army has very strict medical requirements as you will be under a lot of stress during service. Anxiety and depression is normally a major bar to entry, so although you can appeal the decision, you cannot appeal the medical reasons for rejection. Eg; if you have been prescribed anti depressants, your appeal could, for example, include evidence from your GP that this was prescribed as a matter of course / precaution, but you didn't really need it (as you weren't fully suffering depression as such). Send your appeal anyway, as these are read by a Senior Medical officer, whereas initial applications are assessed by 'non medical staff', but be prepared for the fact that they could still say No to you serving. Army medical requirements are at; https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/medical
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
Not a Medical professional (and its a few years since I left the Armed forces) so unable to advise fully. However, the Army has very strict medical requirements as you will be under a lot of stress during service. Anxiety and depression is normally a major bar to entry, so although you can appeal the decision, you cannot appeal the medical reasons for rejection. Eg; if you have been prescribed anti depressants, your appeal could, for example, include evidence from your GP that this was prescribed as a matter of course / precaution, but you didn't really need it (as you weren't fully suffering depression as such). Send your appeal anyway, as these are read by a Senior Medical officer, whereas initial applications are assessed by 'non medical staff', but be prepared for the fact that they could still say No to you serving. Army medical requirements are at; https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/medical

Thank you for your help, I ended up sending off my appeal and had been sent a form for the dr to stamp and sign, I have sent that to them with a letter expanding on what my circumstances were at the time and medical records too, it doesn’t look promising to be honest, but at least I can say that I have given it a shot!

Quick Reply

Latest