The Student Room Group

Stainburys

Hi just had my 12 week probation at work , and at the end of it they said they are going to extend it for another 4 weeks. I have not missed a day or phoned in sick. One thing they said was I need to work on speed. ( I have a leaning disability) , could they get rid of me in 4 weeks time.
Original post by Sarahcragg
Hi just had my 12 week probation at work , and at the end of it they said they are going to extend it for another 4 weeks. I have not missed a day or phoned in sick. One thing they said was I need to work on speed. ( I have a leaning disability) , could they get rid of me in 4 weeks time.

If they do get rid of you based on speed when you have a learning disability, I believe, you may be able to action against the workplace due to it being discriminatory practice.

Hi Sarah xx
Unfortunately you have a temporary contract for minimum of 12 weeks which is classed as your probation period before the management decides whether or not to offer you a permanent job but this usually comes with certain criteria which is usually your time keeping/attendance record ( sickness levels has a certain% per year that you are allowed before you are disciplined ) .... How you get on with the other staff members,. Taking orders from the like of your team leader or supervisor and near the time when your probation period is almost completed your team leader & supervisor will be asked to give the management there thoughts about how well you are doing and discuss whether you are capable of being offered a permanent position with them.
Your disability would have been discussed with you at your initial interview and again hopefully at your induction day so that they know what you are capable of doing in working .

It's good that you actually been given the opportunity with the extended 4 weeks to prove to them that you are very much worthy of being offered a permanent job. You'll have to try to go into work each day throughout your extended weeks you have been given by Sainsbury's because it will give them and yourself the best opportunity to get offered a permanent job at the end of this period which I think you really want to have.

You may not be given another opportunity if you take any sickness day's before you have hopefully given the permanent position.

As the initial contract is only for minimum of 12 weeks then unfortunately yes they have the options to either offer you a permanent job or tell you that you are no longer required. There's nothing you can do about this if they let you go.

It's not a discriminatory practice if they say that you are not being kept on but all sectors of the workplaces have to employ a certain amount of people who have disabilities and hope you will be getting offered a permanent job.
Retailing can be a fast moving setting most days depending on how busy the store has been as management wants the shelves etc filled up all the time. They don't like empty shelves. This is to meet there monthly targets for head office.

You need to take someone in with you when you next have the meeting with management about your probation period etc ( ideally a Union rep - you may not be in the union). Your manager ( including the HR Officer) should understand the 2010 disability act .

I work in retailing with Tesco as team leader and I stand in as supervisor as required to do so.
I was Union rep until I stopped it due to going to university to do a degree.
Reply 3
Hi I gave not phoned in sick , and have helped out when they have been shot staffed. I am aways on time( some times early ). Today I was not feeling 100% , but still came in and got the job done.

I know I am not the fastest worker there but I aways try my best and get the jobs done..

I am frendy to all the customers and team members. ( but I know some of then do not like me ).

I don't want to lose this job 😫
Reply 4
So I was in today, and got handed a letter saying , if my speed dose not approved in 4 weeks time I will not pass it. I will try my best but can onley do so much ( and some of the boxes are so heavy to move ).
So I was in today, and got handed a letter saying , if my speed dose not approved in 4 weeks time I will not pass it. I will try my best but can onley do so much ( and some of the boxes are so heavy to move ).

Hi
Sorry for late reply

If you can't lift anything heavy yourself then you have to ask for assistance with it as you don't get any thanks for injuring yourself
They have to take into account that you maybe be slower than other staff members which looks like they are not .
I hope that you will do enough to get a offer of a full time permanent job okay

You'll have to discuss with them the next time that you have a disability and you can't go ask quick as others and you are doing your utmost best each time.

I see that helping when short staffed, good time keeping and going into work when not well enough as you are trying to be dedicated to doing the job and this say loads of you as many other people wouldn't bother going to work.

Yeah I know that you have staff members who might not like you but you'll be alone in this situation and its happens in nearly all workplace's.
Reply 6
Hi a little update for you all

I had my review meeting last week , and the outcome was that I am still not meeting there case rates ( ?) So yesterday was my last day. I think they are going to struggle as 5 others members have left or leaving.
Anyway I have just come back from a interview today ( a nice shop ) will know soon hopefully.

Yesterday I stocked up and made the most of the discount and gave the uniform back.
Hi a little update for you all

I had my review meeting last week , and the outcome was that I am still not meeting there case rates ( ?) So yesterday was my last day. I think they are going to struggle as 5 others members have left or leaving.
Anyway I have just come back from a interview today ( a nice shop ) will know soon hopefully.

Yesterday I stocked up and made the most of the discount and gave the uniform back.

Sorry to hear that you didn't meet there criteria for the rates that Sainsbury's expected from you.

Hopefully you'll get this other job that you just had a interview for ☺️ and I hope that they will treat you better than Sainsbury's did okay.

They'll not struggle with having less staff because they will still have everything covered regardless of the other 5 staff members leaving. They'll always prioritise the most busiest periods of the day as you may have seen when there's more staff working at certain times.

Good for you taking advantage of the discount you are entitled to before leaving them.

Best of luck with the outcome of the interview for the other job you applied for xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending