The Student Room Group

When to start looking for part-time job in uni

I'm gonna be starting my first year of uni this September in Glasgow. I want to get a part-time job for some extra cash, but I know it'll initially be quite chaotic and I don't want to put too much on my plate while I'm still getting used to uni. How long should I wait before I start looking for a job? What other things should I be focusing on before trying to find part-time work?
Reply 1
Do a job search around the uni in the summer before first semester try leisure centres you don’t need experience to be a swim teacher or lifeguard you just need to know how to swim The pay is like £13.71 an hour and it can go up
Hello,

Congratulations on starting uni in September !

Personally I would say start looking at around Christmas time just so can get used to uni life, the environment, and if you are able to manage the uni work load.

I recommend a part-time job in retail, leisure, or tutoring if that is something yo are interested in. If you are a full-time student with things like placement, it would be difficult to find a part time job and so I would recommend a zero hour contract, you can pick jobs when you are free.

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V
Original post by Bluefin26
I'm gonna be starting my first year of uni this September in Glasgow. I want to get a part-time job for some extra cash, but I know it'll initially be quite chaotic and I don't want to put too much on my plate while I'm still getting used to uni. How long should I wait before I start looking for a job? What other things should I be focusing on before trying to find part-time work?

Hi @Bluefin26

The above advice is already really helpful. I would give yourself some time to adjust to uni life, so there's no need to rush into a job straight away. But keep an eye out to see if anything takes your fancy in the meantime.

Some unis also offer student work, which can be more irregular than part time work, but can often fit in really well to your uni schedule. There's often open day ambassadors, student content creators, student union bar and restaurant jobs, so take a look at your unis website to see if anything interests you.

Best of luck with starting in September! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 4
I would start looking for whenever really. I recently got a customer service job taking inbound calls which I don’t mind because it’s easy and I work from home and choose my own hours. I’ll be working in between term times too. Idk if they’re still hiring but look on their website it’s called remflexgroup.co.uk.
Original post by Akarni
Do a job search around the uni in the summer before first semester try leisure centres you don’t need experience to be a swim teacher or lifeguard you just need to know how to swim The pay is like £13.71 an hour and it can go up

both swim teacher and lifeguard jobs require certifications - if the job listing doesn’t require some form of qualification then it’s probably a little dodgy - just as a note!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending