The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Paper 1 Higher Tier (8462 1H) - 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Is there a possibility that there will be a question on chromatography linking back to paper 2? In biology, there was a question on asexual and sexual reporduction (which is part of b6).
Reply 21
Original post by jiungie
Is there a possibility that there will be a question on chromatography linking back to paper 2? In biology, there was a question on asexual and sexual reporduction (which is part of b6).

If they do it wouldn't be in excessive detail. You kind of need to look at the topic and know. For example Tests for gases could very like come up as a simple 2 marker linked into a different topic (Maybe electrolysis if chlorine, hydrogen or oxygen are produced) The reason Mitosis and Meiosis came up in Paper 1 of Biology is because those topics go together nicely.

In short though, I really don't think chromatography would come up. If it did it would be something like 'give another separation technique that could used for (x)'. Just focus on paper 1
Reply 22
Original post by JQ2neeky
If they do it wouldn't be in excessive detail. You kind of need to look at the topic and know. For example Tests for gases could very like come up as a simple 2 marker linked into a different topic (Maybe electrolysis if chlorine, hydrogen or oxygen are produced) The reason Mitosis and Meiosis came up in Paper 1 of Biology is because those topics go together nicely.

In short though, I really don't think chromatography would come up. If it did it would be something like 'give another separation technique that could used for (x)'. Just focus on paper 1

Okay thank you for clarifying. Good luck if you do have exams!!!
Reply 23
Original post by jiungie
Okay thank you for clarifying. Good luck if you do have exams!!!

You too. Sure you'll do great
Reply 24
do we need to know the equations for any endo and exo reactions used daily (not like photosynthesis or respiration, but heat packs and stuff)
I'm doing that because it might be a one marker so might as well maximise the marks .
Reply 26
wait what equations are there i cant find it
Reply 27
Do you guys use Physics and Maths tutor for the notes or for testing?
How are the practicals split between the papers? Like which practicals for paper 1 and which practicals for paper 2?
Reply 29
kerboodle says:
exothermic (hand warmers) - single use ones involve oxidising iron into iron (III) oxide, reusable ones uses sodium ethanoate CH3COO-NA+ where you dissolve a lot in water and use a metal disc to start crystallisation, which is exothermic
exothermic (self heating cans) - calcium oxide + water -> calcium hydroxide
endothermic (chemical cold packs) - ammonium nitrate and water, when ammonium nitrate dissolves it absorbs energy
Reply 30
Original post by greenthing
How are the practicals split between the papers? Like which practicals for paper 1 and which practicals for paper 2?

its the practicals that are relevant to the paper 1 topics
making salts, neutralisation, electrolysis, temperature changes i think?
list of practicals from AQA: https://media.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/AQA-8462-PRACTICALS.PDF
Reply 31
only started revising today and now i'm panicking becuase i literally don't know anything, should've seen that coming but idk what to do now aaaaaa
Original post by cvpidd
only started revising today and now i'm panicking becuase i literally don't know anything, should've seen that coming but idk what to do now aaaaaa

Go through the specification on the exam boards website - it tells you exactly what you need to know, then use freesciencelessons if there is something you dont understand
Reply 33
Original post by cvpidd

if you flunk this one u can work hard for paper 2 to raise ur grade
Good luck for tomorrows exams guys. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Bksa
do we need to know the equations for any endo and exo reactions used daily (not like photosynthesis or respiration, but heat packs and stuff)

"Students should be able to: •distinguish between exothermic and endothermic reactions on the basis of the temperature change of the surroundings •evaluate uses and applications of exothermic and endothermic reactions given appropriate information."

So I think we just need to be able to understand what endo and exothermic are and apply this. You don't need to have memorised different uses, just understand whether a particular reaction is endo/exothermic. In the spec it also says

"Exothermic reactions include combustion, many oxidation reactions and neutralisation. Everyday uses of exothermic reactions include self-heating cans and hand warmers."

So I'm guessing this means we need to understand why these are endo/exothermic.
Reply 36
Pls post any tricky questions, that have stumped you.
Reply 37
Original post by Glemon
Pls post any tricky questions, that have stumped you.

for practical questions, will they give you the chemicals u need to use, e.g. copper II oxide and sulphuric acid for the making salts one, or do you need to remember them?
Reply 38
Original post by Bksa
for practical questions, will they give you the chemicals u need to use, e.g. copper II oxide and sulphuric acid for the making salts one, or do you need to remember them?

Depends. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't. They might just say something like "Describe an experiment making salts using copper oxide."
Reply 39
Original post by Glemon
Depends. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't. They might just say something like "Describe an experiment making salts using copper oxide."

Very rough example btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending