The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Paper 1 Higher Tier (8462 1H) - 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

can someone please explain the differences between intermolecular forces of attraction and electrostatic forces of attraction? what properties does having weak bonds, intermolecular forces, or electrostatic forces give to a material? where are each of them seen/found? which one is the one that affects melting point and boiling point? I'm a bit confused
Reply 41
Original post by cvpidd
only started revising today and now i'm panicking becuase i literally don't know anything, should've seen that coming but idk what to do now aaaaaa

update: omg i just did the 2021 paper to see what i know and i got an 8!! - not sure if that was because the paper was during covid though. for the rest of the evening i just need to go over chemical calculations because i basically missed all of those out because i aven't revised them(i hate them so much)
Reply 42
Original post by Glemon
Pls post any tricky questions, that have stumped you.

i think there's a video by primrose kitten that has grade 7,8,9 questions on youtube
Reply 43
Original post by greenthing
can someone please explain the differences between intermolecular forces of attraction and electrostatic forces of attraction? what properties does having weak bonds, intermolecular forces, or electrostatic forces give to a material? where are each of them seen/found? which one is the one that affects melting point and boiling point? I'm a bit confused

this is probably really confusing, but im trying my best. it's probably going to confuse u more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

electrostatic is between negatively charged and positively charged particles, for example in ionic bonding where the metal ion is positively charged and the non-metal ion is negatively charged. it's also in metallic bonding because the positive metal ions are in a sea of negative delocalised electrons.

electrostatic bonding is very strong because the opposite charges are attracted to each other, so it requires a lot of energy to break and the melting and boiling points are higher. the high melting and boiling points in ionic compounds are also because of the giant ionic structure (or giant ionic lattice) so there's a lot of these electrostatic bonds between all the ions in the compound. it's the same with metals - they also have a giant lattice structure.

intermolecular bonds is found in some non-metal compounds. there's covalent bonds between single covalently bonded molecules. the covalent bonds themselves are really strong (because they're sharing electrons), but in simple covalent molecules there's also intermolecular forces between molecules. these forces are weak so don't require a lot of energy to overcome/break so some non-metals have lower melting and boiling points.

some covalent molecules have a giant covalent structure, such as diamond, silicone dioxide and graphite. in diamonds, there are no intermolecular bonds. all the bonds are covalent bonds so it has a high melting point, it's the same with silicone dioxide. in graphite, there are hexagonal layers of carbon which have the covalent bonds between them so graphite also has a high melting point. however graphite has weak intermolecular bonds between the layers, so the layers can slide over each other which isn't linked to melting and boiling points but to another unique property of graphite.

Hope this helped? (probably didn't lmao) also i didn't proof read this so if theres any errors... ´༎ຶ ͜ʖ ༎ຶ `
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 44
Original post by greenthing

Ok so from my revision guide what I understand is that:
-Intermolecular forces are for molecules in covalent structures
Bigger molecules = stronger intermolecular forces
-Electrostatic forces are for oppositely charged ions.

Basically stronger the force between particles the harder it is for them to overcome these. So the harder it is to overcome them the higher the boiling point is.
Reply 45
Original post by cvpidd
update: omg i just did the 2021 paper to see what i know and i got an 8!! - not sure if that was because the paper was during covid though. for the rest of the evening i just need to go over chemical calculations because i basically missed all of those out because i aven't revised them(i hate them so much)

wow, calculations is my easiest topic, get the different formulas down and your defo on your way to a 9 (I suggest getting mnemonics, like My Nan Makes Rice for Mass = Number(of moles) * Mr). Also, im pretty sure that the 2021 paper was kind of dodgy, so tmrws paper should be easier (fingers crossed :smile:)
yooo thank you guys :biggrin: I get it now!
Reply 47
guys im rlly scared for paper 1 tmrw
anyone know a way to memorise the ionic equations for fuel cells nd electrolysis?
Good luck guys, you've got this!
Reply 49
Who else got 60 000dm³ for the last question?
How did it go today guys?
Reply 51
Original post by Evil Homer

Pretty good I guess
Reply 52

it was pretty good but there was a really nasty 6 mark calculation question at the end
Reply 53
Guys do you remember the Atom Economy question. For X i got something with 183.885 but it didnt ask us to round it. I just put 183.885 and 183.9 and 184 in there so ill hope they will give me the marks for at least one of them.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 54
What did people get on the last 6 marker equation question.
I got something around 2,800
Got so stuck on the last question and Atom economy 🥺
Reply 56
Thats how I did the 6 marker at the end
043AB760-E537-43E6-978D-1F010D37FAD7.jpeg
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 57
How did you find the paper?
Original post by Tr238
How did you find the paper?

Which exam board and paper were you taking?
Reply 59
Which exam board and paper were you taking?

Aqa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending