The Student Room Group

how to not sound ridiculous over audio message???

I have a Teams call in a week and I have to do a presentation, I just recorded myself speaking to time myself, listened to it back and I sound RIDICULOUS?!?!?!?!?!?

I sound like I'm mumbling even though when I was speaking I sounded very clear in my head lol. I have social anxiety and so tend to mumble a bit but when I speak on the phone/video call I feel more comfortable and in my head I sound like I'm speaking different (good different), but OBVIOUSLY NOT!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

You can't even hear me properly on the recording but my voice is so low it's so croaky, I sound like I've lost my voice or something...

Is there a quick fix for something like this? I felt as if I was speaking loud for me... am I just supposed to shout so everyone in my accommodation can hear me lol?
Original post by Anonymous
I have a Teams call in a week and I have to do a presentation, I just recorded myself speaking to time myself, listened to it back and I sound RIDICULOUS?!?!?!?!?!?

I sound like I'm mumbling even though when I was speaking I sounded very clear in my head lol. I have social anxiety and so tend to mumble a bit but when I speak on the phone/video call I feel more comfortable and in my head I sound like I'm speaking different (good different), but OBVIOUSLY NOT!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

You can't even hear me properly on the recording but my voice is so low it's so croaky, I sound like I've lost my voice or something...

Is there a quick fix for something like this? I felt as if I was speaking loud for me... am I just supposed to shout so everyone in my accommodation can hear me lol?

You have no way of knowing whether your microphone and speakers are accurately reproducing what you actually sounded like. Also, you can never be the judge of what you sound like, because your own voice always sounds different in real life (compared to a recording) because when you speak you hear you own void through the air (as you would with a recording) and also through your skull.

Do you have anyone who could sit with you whilst you make a recording? Ask them how you sounded (clear / muffled / quiet / etc.), and then play them the recording and ask them how the recording sounded, compared to your actual voice. In all likelihood they'll tell you that the recording isn't accurately reflecting what you sound like. If they can heard you clearly (no mumbling etc.) then you're fine.

You'd need ensure that they were honest with you. There's no point in them telling you that you sound fine (if you don't) just to avoid hurting your feelings. Do you know anyone like that, who could help?

Quick Reply

Latest