The Student Room Group

Is work experience mandatory at college?

My son college has told him that if he doesn't do work experience that he will fail his course. He has anxiety, autism and ADHD. I had to go through this numerous times when my eldest was there and she absolutely hated it each time, so did I. She ended up in places that had no relation to the course that she was on. She also has special education difficulties. I am absolutely fed up with this so called threat. I am not willing to risk his mental health. Have already checked with the examination board and it's not a formal requirement. He is willing to do the hours required by doing online courses. So is a mandatory requirement set by the government? Or can I call the college bluff and say no?
My college told me it was compulsory too, but I never actually finished mine due to my anxiety and autism making it too difficult for me. I was completely allowed to continue with my course with not even a discussion of why I never finished it, so I don't think it's a *legal* requirement.

That's just my college though, I'm unsure how strict your son's college is and whether or not they'll actually follow through with their threat. I'd definitely at least talk to them about it and see if you can get your son out of it? I totally know how he feels so I empathise and hope you can get it sorted for him. Good luck! <3
Original post by tealeavees
My college told me it was compulsory too, but I never actually finished mine due to my anxiety and autism making it too difficult for me. I was completely allowed to continue with my course with not even a discussion of why I never finished it, so I don't think it's a *legal* requirement.

That's just my college though, I'm unsure how strict your son's college is and whether or not they'll actually follow through with their threat. I'd definitely at least talk to them about it and see if you can get your son out of it? I totally know how he feels so I empathise and hope you can get it sorted for him. Good luck! <3

Well I emailed the course manager a week ago. Who forwarded my email on to the work experience person. Who basically ignored me. So chased it up today. So got a response from the work experience person. And seriously this person has really annoyed me. They start off with 'Dear' then my first initial and my surname. All in one. Tells me to come to their room and that work experience is compulsory in order to pass the course. Was in the process of replying but was told to hold off while some one looks in to this.
Original post by Britmummybites
Well I emailed the course manager a week ago. Who forwarded my email on to the work experience person. Who basically ignored me. So chased it up today. So got a response from the work experience person. And seriously this person has really annoyed me. They start off with 'Dear' then my first initial and my surname. All in one. Tells me to come to their room and that work experience is compulsory in order to pass the course. Was in the process of replying but was told to hold off while some one looks in to this.

Also depends on the course he is on. For example BTEC Business has a Work experience in Business unit, which learners cannot pass if they dont carry out work experience and complete a log and then review and assess their performance. Same for Health and social care. Same for engineering. Same for Childcare. All T Levels and traineeships will include work experience. Other courses may have similar.
If not a course requirement, it could be part of the pastoral programme as work experience gives learners the skills and 'experience' of working with others, time management, following instruction, multi-tasking etc, all of which are pretty much essential in nearly every career that learners hope to progress to after college.
Examination board says not a requirement. I have suggested that he could do online courses. At the moment his mental health cannot cope with doing work experience. He struggles with even communication with his teachers. How on earth is he going to cope for example in a charity shop (which is what his sister had to do and she was doing science at the time).
His dad and I are also concerned that if he is made to do work experience, that he is going to lose his temper and end up hitting someone. He has worked so hard on his temper over the last few years and there hasn't been any issues in regards to it at college.
This is really something you will need to discuss with the school and their accessibility/SEN team I would think.

If he's doing a course where work experience is integral as above it might be harder to avoid, although from the sound of things he isn't. If just doing A-levels or something I can't see why he would need to do work experience - I certainly didn't after the compulsory year 10 work experience we had.

If work experience is required for the course, you could discuss with them any options that might ameliorate the situation, for example seeing if he could do it at the school in some capacity so it's in a familiar environment with familiar faces etc. Obviously some kinds of work experience in a school may not be suitable due to safeguarding requirements, but there may be something they could find if necessary that could fit the bill.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Britmummybites
My son college has told him that if he doesn't do work experience that he will fail his course. He has anxiety, autism and ADHD. I had to go through this numerous times when my eldest was there and she absolutely hated it each time, so did I. She ended up in places that had no relation to the course that she was on. She also has special education difficulties. I am absolutely fed up with this so called threat. I am not willing to risk his mental health. Have already checked with the examination board and it's not a formal requirement. He is willing to do the hours required by doing online courses. So is a mandatory requirement set by the government? Or can I call the college bluff and say no?

@Britmummybites
Some general information that might help in an email to the college. Under the Equality Act (2010) the college has a responsibility to perform a 'reasonable adjustment' if a learner has an SEND; this is typically though around exam arrangements, using alternate resources, different colour paper etc. If it is not a requirement of the qualification you could push them on this matter (not saying it will work).

Also, under the SEND Code of Practice (2015) they go through a process of 'assess, plan, do and review' throughout the year for each learner. If your son was not able to meet the course requirements at enrolment (and you made his autism clear on the application form), I would argue it would have been best practice to raise the issue then before starting - to be fair to SENDco's though they are super busy, and it should be the Department Leader who should have raised the issue.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest