The Student Room Group

Life so unfair

I see on the tv/ internet all these celebrities who are incredibly rich living their best lives. I am 35 years old and I have nothing, no house, no real friends. I have vitiligo which could spread all over my body. I never been in a relationship and probably never will due to vitiligo.
Surely there are things in your life that you are fortunate to have and can be grateful for ? 🙏
Original post by Anonymous
I see on the tv/ internet all these celebrities who are incredibly rich living their best lives. I am 35 years old and I have nothing, no house, no real friends. I have vitiligo which could spread all over my body. I never been in a relationship and probably never will due to vitiligo.

Firstly, it might be a good idea to spend less time on social media and/or unfollow celebrities that you're feeling envious of. Although they may have lots of money, it doesn't mean their life is always perfect and it's never a good idea to be comparing yourself to such a small percentage of the human population. Most people are not well off financially or are incredibly poor. I recently felt like I was comparing myself too much to my peers, so I uninstalled Facebook from my phone for a couple of months. It was nice to distance myself from it for a while and realise that there's more to life than what other people are doing with theirs!

Secondly, you certainly can have romantic relationships with vitiligo. There are people with really serious long term health conditions or disabilities who still have loving partners, so your health isn't a reason why you can't have a relationship at all. If someone doesn't want to be with you just because you have vitiligo, then they're not someone you want to be with anyone because they wouldn't love you unconditionally!

It sounds like you're generally feeling down, with low self esteem, so it might be a good idea to speak with your doctor and discuss if it's possible to try some counselling. When you're in a negative headspace without the right support, it's hard to see things from another perspective, so getting support will be a good first step for you.
Basically you're saying you're like Michael Jackson?

Your life can't be that bad, at least you have internet access my dude
Original post by Anonymous

Mat i feel the same except I’m 38 and have muscular dystrophy not vitiligo but I feel hopeful too there is a trial I’m hoping to go on which while it’s not a cure (I’d need to keep doing it so it’s treatment or therapy) it’s close to a cure though.

Quick Reply

Latest