The Student Room Group

BSc Global Studies Maastricht or BA International Studies in the Hague (Leiden Uni)

Hi there,

I'm a French student and I'm considering studying in the Netherlands as from September 2023. I've been accepted for 2 different programs: the BSc Global Studies in Maastricht and the BA International Studies in The Hague (University of Leiden). I don't know which one to choose. I think I have a slight preference for the PBL (Problem-Based Learning) method that is used in Maastricht, but The Hague seems to be a nicer city, closer to Amsterdam etc. What do you think? Has anyone here have had to make the same choice?

Thanks in advance,
nm
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I'm a French student and I'm considering studying in the Netherlands as from September 2023. I've been accepted for 2 different programs: the BSc Global Studies in Maastricht and the BA International Studies in The Hague (University of Leiden). I don't know which one to choose. I think I have a slight preference for the PBL (Problem-Based Learning) method that is used in Maastricht, but The Hague seems to be a nicer city, closer to Amsterdam etc. What do you think? Has anyone here have had to make the same choice?

Thanks in advance,
nm

Hi! I'm currently a student at Maastricht University.

I did a semester of the European Law School and then switched programmes (to UCM).

PBL I would say is probably the WORST thing about Maastricht University. First of all, it's really hard to acquire knowledge through PBL in some subjects. Second of all, most faculties will have tutors that are either bachelor's students or masters' students, so not actual professors, which makes learning even harder. I do not have any personal experience in the Global Studies BA (obviously), so I recommend you do some more research on that.

In my opinion, the only proper programme at MU is the University-College (I am biased because I'm in UCM, but still, it's true). If you really wanna come to Maastricht or really work well with PBL then you can pick the Global Studies BA, although I'd recommend you look into UCM as well, but if you don't want third-year or master's students with attitude problems and terrible teaching skills teaching you, I'd go to Leiden (although I will admit I have no idea how things are there).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for sharing your experience :smile: Really appreciate it. Sorry to hear about your negative experience with PBL. Good luck with your current studies :smile:
Best regards,
nm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending