The Student Room Group

meeting a counsellor for the first time

tomorrow ill be meeting a counsellor for the first time and I feel scared and guilty at the same time. because my parents might know, escpially my mum who works for the NHS, might know. i feel scared, guilty. ill be meeting the counsellor for an hour.
Original post by Anonymous
tomorrow ill be meeting a counsellor for the first time and I feel scared and guilty at the same time. because my parents might know, escpially my mum who works for the NHS, might know. i feel scared, guilty. ill be meeting the counsellor for an hour.

You really shouldn't feel guilty, it's a really important and brave first step towards getting help to see a councillor, you should feel really proud of yourself!
Counselling should be completely private and confidential, so they can't tell your parents if you don't want them to, unless they believe you're going to cause harm to yourself or others.
Try to be as honest as possible with them, they're there to help you! Good luck and take care of yourself
Your parents will not know, even if your mum works in the NHS. What you say in the sessions will be confidential and the only time the counsellor will break confidentiality is if they think you may harm yourself/someone else or if you are being abused. They will go through all of this with you at the start of your session.

Feeling scared is totally understandable though - it's a big step talking about your difficulties, but hopefully it will be a step in the right direction towards getting help so try and let them help you as that is what they are therefore. Feeling guilty is also understandable (though you haven't specifically said what you feel guilty about) but again, these people are there to help you and clearly someone has decided that you may benefit from this help so there is nothing to feel guilty about - you are just as worthy of getting help as anyone else struggling :hugs:

I hope the session goes well for you. Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

I hope your first counselling session went OK. How did you get on? It can be nerve-racking meeting a counsellor for the first time and figuring out what to say. I've been both a client and a counsellor, and I can tell you it makes me nervous on both sides! Meeting new people and not knowing what to expect can bring on anxiety, which is completely normal.

As others have said (and I'm sure your counsellor will have told you), what you say there will be confidential, unless there are serious concerns for safety.

I'd love to hear how you got on - I hope it wasn't too scary for you!

Quick Reply

Latest