The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do with my life whatsoever

I am just about to take my GCSEs in a few months (options are triple science, computer science, geography and art) I am expected 7s or more and i have got a place in 2 sixth form colleges for A-Levels and 1 college for T-Levels.

Firstly, even though i applied for my A-Levels already (computer science, economics and maths) i dont even know if these are the subjects i want to do. I have no idea what to do as a job or if i want to go to uni, i seriously dont know anything! I dont even know what interests me as i change my interests very frequently! If i do choose these A-Levels i have no clue what to do with them, i have no careers advice at my school and my parents arent much help either. I know im capable of going into many jobs but im terrified of being in a job my mind cant stand for decades on end. Even though im talented academically im drawn to outdoors and creative things but on the other hand i love computer games and nerdy stuff.

I'm not asking for a solution because i know my situation is baffling haha, but any advice on what to do would be great!
Original post by gezmai
I am just about to take my GCSEs in a few months (options are triple science, computer science, geography and art) I am expected 7s or more and i have got a place in 2 sixth form colleges for A-Levels and 1 college for T-Levels.

Firstly, even though i applied for my A-Levels already (computer science, economics and maths) i dont even know if these are the subjects i want to do. I have no idea what to do as a job or if i want to go to uni, i seriously dont know anything! I dont even know what interests me as i change my interests very frequently! If i do choose these A-Levels i have no clue what to do with them, i have no careers advice at my school and my parents arent much help either. I know im capable of going into many jobs but im terrified of being in a job my mind cant stand for decades on end. Even though im talented academically im drawn to outdoors and creative things but on the other hand i love computer games and nerdy stuff.

I'm not asking for a solution because i know my situation is baffling haha, but any advice on what to do would be great!

Loads of people were/are in the same situation at your age. Just keep doing the subjects you enjoy most and saying yes to opportunities, trying new things, work experience etc and a direction will emerge.
My eldest son is similar. He's settled on deciding to do a Level 3 BTEC in Esports, Enterprise, and Entrepreneurship and seeing if he can make it as a shoutcaster in the Esports industry. His back up plan is to become a police officer if the Esports thing doesn't work out.

It's definitely not uncommon at your age to not know what you want to do. The above poster has the best advice, just keep trying things out.

You say you like nerdy stuff and computer games - have you considered going into game design and development?
Original post by gezmai

Do things to help your chances at getting employed anywhere

Volunteer like mad. It's a way you can show future employers unlike other candidates you are committed to things you sign up for, can work as a team, and care about social objectives (which you can apply to basically any company as they all "care" about that kind of thing.)

Get a summer job if you can! Apply anywhere there's a position. Instead of using careers sites like Indeed, check with individual company sites (many don't offer roles in person at all, you have to look up yourself so no need to awkwardly ask!) Here's Showcase, Vue, ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons, Greggs, Costa, Starbucks. Check they are part time jobs, that they are 'permanent' not 'temporary' so you can stay working after summer if you enjoy it, and look around on TSR and Glassdoor to see what other people think. Apply to multiple jobs. Aim for higher paying ones you think you'll enjoy.

Say yes to every opportunity you get. Ask if you enquired, do you think some businesses would offer "Work Shadow" placements where you can see a day in the life? Lots of places certainly would, you just need to ask like mad. Importantly, these don't have to be completely relevant to your interests I did a day at the Met Office and what I learned was so exciting, even though it's not a field I want to pursue. Then, take up University open days! These are a little bit less effort to get into, and lets you experience a range of different fields really fast. I did this at my local uni, which means I explore new courses despite me not wanting to go there for my further education because it's so close.

Look into careers and fields you like.

startprofile.com is a decent place to look for careers based on your interests. Unlike other platforms like Unifrog, it is free for everyone; and unlike platforms like Indeed or Glassdoor, you don't get sponsored ads or any real job roles just industries, names of roles and the types of things they get up to.

Get hobbies! Now you're finishing GCSEs, you have a long time to figure out exactly what you like. If you like computer games and nerdy stuff, do it and pinpoint what about it you like! You're unlikely to find an exact role you completely love, but lots of jobs will have loads of elements you like.

Don't be terrified of a career your mind can't stand.

You don't have to pick one job for 60 years. Your interests will change over time, and you can switch companies! (Just not too often.) Bear in mind loads of people have careers which don't match up with what they persue at Uni or A-Level, it aligns better with all the experience they have over time. I know one person who did a lot of maths at Uni, then ended up becoming an estate agent yes, it's a bit linked, but you can see that what you persue in education won't be what you end up doing.

Don't worry. You do well academically, and know your interests which is more than most people! You have lots of time to grow and change.

Good luck!m
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest