The Student Room Group

PhD Studentship Application

I'm considering applying for a PhD studentship next month in Psychology. I have a high 2.1 in Psychology undergrad and I'm on track for a distinction in my Psychology research masters. The studentship is for a project advertised by my current masters research supervisor which is really similar to the dissertation I'm currently working on for my masters, so she suggested I apply for it if I'm interested as I'll already be familiar with the topic and methods.

I'm still debating whether or not to apply but need to make a decision soon as the deadline is in a month. I think I'm worried that I won't stand a chance of getting it due to not having a first at undergrad and only having limited experience outside of uni (I have completed one psychology internship in an unrelated area during undergrad, volunteered as an OCD peer support group volunteer, and have just accepted an internship offer for research role in a different department of the uni). I also have to provide 2 references which I think I may struggle with as they both need to be academic. I completed my undergrad nearly 5 years ago now so I'm not sure if my supervisor would remember me enough to write a good reference, and I know my current supervisor would write me a good one but the studentship is for her project so I doubt that would work. The only other person I can think to ask is the supervisor i had for my psychology internship, but I'll still need one more.

I only really want to do a PhD at my current uni as I have just bought a home so it would be a really good opportunity, I have just heard about how competitive it can be so I'm not sure if the issues I've mentioned above would hold me back too much. I'm also not sure how the selection process works as the project is funded by the SPCR research council but it would be working with my current supervisor, so not sure how much say she would have over the selection.

Do you think I stand a chance of getting the studentship if I apply? and is it appropriate to speak to my current supervisor about my concerns and ask for help with the research proposal etc?
Original post by jh993
I'm considering applying for a PhD studentship next month in Psychology. I have a high 2.1 in Psychology undergrad and I'm on track for a distinction in my Psychology research masters. The studentship is for a project advertised by my current masters research supervisor which is really similar to the dissertation I'm currently working on for my masters, so she suggested I apply for it if I'm interested as I'll already be familiar with the topic and methods.

I'm still debating whether or not to apply but need to make a decision soon as the deadline is in a month. I think I'm worried that I won't stand a chance of getting it due to not having a first at undergrad and only having limited experience outside of uni (I have completed one psychology internship in an unrelated area during undergrad, volunteered as an OCD peer support group volunteer, and have just accepted an internship offer for research role in a different department of the uni). I also have to provide 2 references which I think I may struggle with as they both need to be academic. I completed my undergrad nearly 5 years ago now so I'm not sure if my supervisor would remember me enough to write a good reference, and I know my current supervisor would write me a good one but the studentship is for her project so I doubt that would work. The only other person I can think to ask is the supervisor i had for my psychology internship, but I'll still need one more.

I only really want to do a PhD at my current uni as I have just bought a home so it would be a really good opportunity, I have just heard about how competitive it can be so I'm not sure if the issues I've mentioned above would hold me back too much. I'm also not sure how the selection process works as the project is funded by the SPCR research council but it would be working with my current supervisor, so not sure how much say she would have over the selection.

Do you think I stand a chance of getting the studentship if I apply? and is it appropriate to speak to my current supervisor about my concerns and ask for help with the research proposal etc?

Hi @jh993,

If you don't apply then you definitely won't get the studentship so, if the project interests you and you want to do a PhD, I'd say go for it.

PhD studentships are very competitive but it sounds like you're doing really well in your current masters programme and have developed a good working relationship with the supervisor who will be overseeing the project.

In my experience, having a good research proposal is key when it comes to applying for a PhD studentship. Yes, having a good academic track record and/or relevant extra-curricular experience helps too but, when it comes down to it, those elements bolster an application. It's the proposal itself that's of prime importance because that demonstrates what you want to do, why it's important that the work is done (the 'research gap') and why you need to be the researcher to do it.

It's totally okay to get assistance in putting this together. Indeed, it's usually expected that you'll get your proposal reviewed by prospective supervisors and other academics in the department. So yes, have a chat with your current supervisor about a research proposal and workshop it with them. If possible, get internal peer-review from another academic within the department also (your supervisor may be able to recommend someone). You may also find your department has someone who acts as research council lead. If so, get them on board as they'll have good insight into what the funder is looking for and should be able to help you phrase your application in the most effective way.

You've probably also got more experience than you think that can demonstrate your ability to complete a PhD project. You are already managing your own research project and are clearly proactive in undertaking extra-curricular activities that bolster your skillset. It can sometimes be hard to pick out the key skills gained from such projects - and to apply them in a different context - so have a sit down with the careers team at your university and work through this with them. Most university careers services have dedicated advisors for postgraduates with experience in helping students apply for both further study and workplace opportunities.

With regards to references, I think you'd be surprised. I managed to get a reference from my undergraduate dissertation supervisor 11 years after completing my BA! Universities will usually keep access to the relevant data and transcripts to enable someone to comment on your academic performance even several years after the fact. And academics are pretty good at remembering students they've worked one-to-one with, especially proactive students! That said, I'd recommend trying to get two referees from your current institution if you can. Have you worked with anyone other than your supervisor on your project? Attended classes with another tutor? Again, ask your supervisor who they think might be suitable.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project proposal!

Amy Louise
PhD Candidate & Student Ambassador, Keele University
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending