The Student Room Group

PhD studentships

I am currently finishing a BA (using student loan)

I might be able to start a PhD with studentship in February and do them concurrently.

Are there any issues in doing this, aside from being stretched for time?

Also, I have applications pending for studentships at 2 other universities. If I were to start in Feb and work out that I didn't like the university set up, would I be free to take the studentships from the other university?

If you can get your head around the circumstances I applaud you. If you have any information I give you a standing ovation...
Original post by jtf83

I might be able to start a PhD with studentship in February and do them concurrently.

Also, I have applications pending for studentships at 2 other universities. If I were to start in Feb and work out that I didn't like the university set up, would I be free to take the studentships from the other university?

If you can get your head around the circumstances I applaud you. If you have any information I give you a standing ovation...

You need to give more details, because your question/situation doesn't make sense.

Are you in the UK?
What subject?
Studentship at the same uni as the BA or at a different uni?
What exactly is a PhD studentship - in the specific terms you think you have an option on?
Original post by jtf83

Never seen any reputable university allow a student to enrol onto a PhD without at least a confirmed bachelors. And I certainly wouldn’t recommend it (and any decent supervisor would not allow this).

Most studentships will allow you to push it back to October, and id certainly recommend doing that.

I think dropping/failing out of a PhD would certainly raise concerns of your suitability to finish a PhD at another institution. If you take money you also are an administrative cost on the research group and faculty in addition to the funding and as such they want committed students.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending